Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U-Baffle conciderations

Hi,
    I am doing a homage build that will require a u-baffle/tunnel behind the mid-range. I am fairly sure it needs to be treated like a OB with a REALLY thick baffle, but my knowledge ends there. I understand the concepts of OB/ U-baffle, but this will be my first ground-up design of one. ,

Let's say the Woofer will be of a 10-12" variety, the mid 3-4" variety, and tweeter a 3/4" dome. Without stating specific of woofer/mid/tweet combo, what are the general considerations those who have has OB success (sans DSP) of such a design?

My attempt with this thread is to start broad and narrow the design down as discussion marches on. Yes - U-baffles are less than ideal, but it is a requirement of the design so changing it is not an option. The Statement series sounds pretty darn good, so I know it can be done! Thanks!

U-baffles do suffer from standing waves so just be ready.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong

Comment

Good luck! A lot theory, but little practical examples.
      Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
      DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
      Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post
        U-baffles do suffer from standing waves so just be ready.
        Thanks Pete, I am actually going to use a 4" diameter cardboard tube that is a little thicker than 3/8". It is inherently more dampened than PVC, or a wood tunnel. I am also going to stuff it a bit.

I am hoping that will help...

Comment

John K's excellent web site--Music and Design--has studies of open baffle speakers with theory and simulation/measurement results. Just read a bit and you will be learn about u-baffles and more.

www.musicanddesign.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Griffin View Post
            John K's excellent web site--Music and Design--has studies of open baffle speakers with theory and simulation/measurement results. Just read a bit and you will be learn about u-baffles and more.

www.musicanddesign.com/
            You know Jim,
            This should have been an obvious place for me to look. I have met John a couplenof times at DIY NE and he is a real gift to us. His work on crossovers and polar patterns is a priceless, real-world study.

Thanks a bunch!

Comment

This might help (maybe not) http://www.quarter-wave.com/OBs/U_and_H_Frames.pdf
              Sausage With Meat Sause, Please

Comment

Horn Response can model this. Typically you would want to avoid the cavity resonance as it's difficult to remove.
                John H

SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                  Horn Response can model this. Typically you would want to avoid the cavity resonance as it's difficult to remove.
                  I think I am going to have to dampen the cavity resonance. It is right in the pass-band of the mid(1750 ish. A saving grace is going to be step compensation will be pretty much on the midrange if I choose to cross high, but not out of the 4pi raidiation of the woofer. This will be around 800Hz or so with a 16" wide front baffle.

Comment

Working...
                  X