Help picking out a design

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help picking out a design

Hello guys, So I wandered into a magnolia today and heard some Martin Logan's I have never really considered the Tweeter inside them but I really love it. So I'm wondering if anybody has done and on wall or in wall version of a speaker with utilizing that tweeter or that type of tweeter. I'm sending this from the parking lot so if anybody has Links of info I should be looking at I really really would appreciate it. Edit: is the Tweeter I'm looking for an AMT?

Electrostatic is what you are after .... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_loudspeaker

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Motion_Transformer

Comment

Similar

Comment

The lower end ML's use an AMT and are completely different beasts than the electrostatics that most know them for.

Comment

Yes I had a spare moment and I was trying to get a listen at some of the other speaker brands to see what I liked or did not like about them. I thought they might be an AMT and had never heard them before. I might get so b652airs to try out the tweeter in my home environment.

Comment

Oh , well , hot damn . I didnt know Martin Logan had an AMT line . I had to check out their site to find this out ( thanks makesomenoise). When did these happen?

Comment

Manu , I have a friend running the b652airs in a 2.1 set up and it sounds like he really likes them. I need to get over there sometime to hear them.

Comment

Don't you mean the bohlender graebner tweeters?
                  Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                  Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Yeah I don't know how long they have been making them as I honestly don't pay too much attention to commercial stuff anymore. Although whenever I am BB I always have to listen to those electrostatics (which is how I noticed the others). If only I could DIY an electrostatic....

Some people have been working on building new XO's for the B652 Air's. Out of the box they just have a single cap and a resistor on the tweeter... The woofer runs full range. Although the AMT in those guys are the smallest ones Dayton makes, I suspect that the primitive XO isn't doing them any justice. There is a null in the response near the XO point and some folks are simply reversing the polarity on the tweeter to fix it. I probably wouldn't base my opinion on AMT tweeters based off of the airs though, as while they are probably a great improvement over the base B652... I am sure that it could sound better, and a bigger AMT that can go lower in frequency with a proper XO would be better still. But for the price it is hard to beat. I suspect the tweeters are similar to the amtpod-4 with a faceplate added.. Those amt car tweeters are $50/pr normally.

Comment

Is that what they are using Paul?

Comment

They sure look like amt's to me

https://www.martinlogan.com/motionSeries/index.php

Comment

No, they are "folded motion tweeters" lol. Yes they are AMT and ML has been using them for a couple years. Emotiva also has some speaks that use them.

Comment

So xo issues aside, the b652airs would be a close approximation of the sound so I can try it in my home environment?

Comment

Originally posted by manu et deo View Post
                              So xo issues aside, the b652airs would be a close approximation of the sound so I can try it in my home environment?
                              Probably not close at all. You cannot just ignore the xo issues not to mention the b625 probably won't even be close to the same sound as martin logan as the drivers used likely have higher distortion even with a proper xo. The reason you can't ignore the xo is because the crossover area has a lot to do with the sound signature of the speaker. A lot of the tweeters sound signature have to do with how the tweeter is crossed asa lot of the sound a tweeter reproduces is around the the xo area. This means that the woofer also affects the high end sound to a degree.

Comment

Working...
                              X