• Looks really nice Javad!

Comment

• Originally posted by ugly woofer View Post
      Looks really nice Javad!
      Thanks Nick!
      --
      Javad Shadzi
      Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Comment

• Originally posted by JavadS View Post

John, to the butt joints in the braces?
        Yes. where the braces are butted to the frames and there is no backing from the other frame section. Post 121 picture 3 and 4. Not that it would happen but that would be a typical failure point for me
        John H

SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

• Originally posted by jhollander
          Yes. where the braces are butted to the frames and there is no backing from the other frame section. Post 121 picture 3 and 4. Not that it would happen but that would be a typical failure point for me
          Good call, I'll devise an incredibly complicated way to add those =P

But seriously though, I'll add some quarter round braces to those, easy enough.
          --
          Javad Shadzi
          Bay Area, CA

Comment

• This project has gone smoothly and I've gotten exactly the results I've been anticipating along the way, however in the glue up of cabinet A I feel the result wasn't perfect.

The issue is that I anticipated the sub-modules to be more flexible during clamping, and they are somewhat but not enough to get a perfectly flat interface.

During the glue ups of the 6-layer sub-modules, inevitably some unevenness did occur. I tried to make up for this in brute force and there just wasn't enough of it.

The result is I have 2 small gaps between two layers, I'm not thrilled with them however I found some Famowood that is the exact color of the Mahogany and it shouldn't be noticeable.

Regardless I didn't want to make this mistake on Cabinet B. I devised a perfectly flat sanding platform using some cabinet grade Aruco plywood, to force the flatness in X and Y directions I screwed and glued 4" wide strips, and verified flatness with some large flat Tri-squares.

To the platform I attached adhesive backed 120 grit sandpaper

And then it was like an hour in the gym, definitely a good workout!

Really thrilled with how well this worked out, I was able to create perfectly flat interfaces between the sub-modules for what should be a gap free glue up, will glue up Cab B in the morning. And I have a huge flat sanding platform I can use in the future whenever I need it.

Javad
            --
            Javad Shadzi
            Bay Area, CA

Comment

• Flatness can be a challenge with complex cabinet builds. You used the same solution I have in the past. I opted for 60 grit sand paper in lieu of 120. That speeds up the process a fair amount and minimizes some of the workout required. Awesome build log, by the way.

Comment

• Originally posted by s7horton
                Flatness can be a challenge with complex cabinet builds. You used the same solution I have in the past. I opted for 60 grit sand paper in lieu of 120. That speeds up the process a fair amount and minimizes some of the workout required. Awesome build log, by the way.
                Thanks! It's what I had on hand and probably what I would have used anyway as I was somewhat afraid of making it worse, fortunately focusing on making the platform totally flat really paid off. Glad you're enjoying to =) Javad
                --
                Javad Shadzi
                Bay Area, CA

Comment

• Nice solution Javad,

I have a similar sanding board comprised of fairly coarse grit 6" wide belt sander stock... really sturdy stuff, and I glued and stapled the edges to the board.

If you go too coarse with the paper it's easy to 'lift up' a corner or edge of MDF or even wood it it's endgrain that you're sanding. A slightly finer grit will minimize the chances of that. Ask me how I know!

TomZ
                  *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                  *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

• Thanks Tom yea the 120 worked great for that, no lift up issues, went really smooth and I got a great workout =)
                    --
                    Javad Shadzi
                    Bay Area, CA

Comment

• Cabinet B glued up this morning before work and man it's perfect, wish I had done this with Cabinet A! This was almost a 1/16" gap before sanding
                      --
                      Javad Shadzi
                      Bay Area, CA

Comment

• Wow, threw some 80 grit in the Dewalt ROS and after an hour Cabinet B is smooth and starting to shape up! Really pleased with this result.
                        --
                        Javad Shadzi
                        Bay Area, CA

Comment

• Ok some high stakes work today, more and more "no turning back" steps to the build =) Both cabinets sanded with 60 grit and smooth. I decided to tackle the port openings before routering out the front baffle. I realized recently that ther work I did to locate the port module put the port openings right inline with the alignment dowels, meaning dowels would be visible in the port opening. After mulling over some solutions, I decided to redo the port module components to locate the ports further outboard of the dowels. Was about an hour of work and I was back in business: The port tubes will be separate and held in place with a threaded rod and some fasteners, that way swapping out port tube length is trivial.tue port module attaches to the enclosire with 4 screws. With that work done, it's time to router the port openings, I made some small port tubes to press tightly into the module plate to act as a guide for the router bearing. And wala. Things started out with a 1/2" hole to feed the router but through then slowly hogging out the hole. Turned out very nice, I'll be finishing the port openings off with a 3/4" round over once I glue on the bottom plate. Tomorrow I router the drivers in. Thanks! Javad
                          --
                          Javad Shadzi
                          Bay Area, CA

Comment

• Bold work :thumbsup:
                            Ed Henderson

Comment

• Something I'm not understanding here. After the layers are glued together and cured, why would it matter if a port tube went through the alignment dowels?
                              They would be cut away for the port and are no longer needed for alignment.

Comment

• Originally posted by skatz
                                Something I'm not understanding here. After the layers are glued together and cured, why would it matter if a port tube went through the alignment dowels? They would be cut away for the port and are no longer needed for alignment.
                                Only concern is visual, didn't want the dowels showing like that.
                                --
                                Javad Shadzi
                                Bay Area, CA

Comment

Working...
                                X