No announcement yet.

MWAF Project - Strafi Translam Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big progress today, pumped! Started with the discs that will tie the dowel spine to each brace layer, the top layer cap doesn't go all the way through as the horn is too deep to allow the spine to go all the way to the top, this will tie that in separately with a flat brace that will also support the horn. I've been pretty anxious about the driver cutouts, it's amazing how much vacuuming in the shop you can do as you put off the inevitable! =) I used tape to hold the template down, but the usual wood working/carpet tape was too thin and weak, last thing I could afford would be the template moving at all. I ended up using high strength 3M foam tape, which was very secure I used the following router setup I ended up cutting out the driver openings with a jigsaw, plunge routing through 1.25" of Mahogany just didn't work out, but the aluminum insert was a very accurate template to trace them cut from And where things left off, things will go relatively quick from here, I should have drivers mounted and playing by the end of the week so I can start doing measurements. Thanks! Javad
    --
    Javad Shadzi
    Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Comment

• Big progress today, pumped!

Started with the discs that will tie the dowel spine to each brace layer, the top layer cap doesn't go all the way through as the horn is too deep to allow the spine to go all the way to the top, this will tie that in separately with a flat brace that will also support the horn.

I've been pretty anxious about the driver cutouts, it's amazing how much vacuuming in the shop you can do as you put off the inevitable! =)

I used tape to hold the template down, but the usual wood working/carpet tape was too thin and weak, last thing I could afford would be the template moving at all.

I ended up using high strength 3M foam tape, which was very secure

I used the following router setup

Cont...
      --
      Javad Shadzi
      Bay Area, CA

Comment

• I ended up cutting out the driver openings with a jigsaw, plunge routing through 1.25" of Mahogany just didn't work out, but the aluminum insert was a very accurate template to trace them cut from

And where things left off, things will go relatively quick from here, I should have drivers mounted and playing by the end of the week so I can start doing measurements.

Thanks!
        Javad
        --
        Javad Shadzi
        Bay Area, CA

Comment

• Great cab work. One of the nicest builds I have ever seen.
          craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

• Originally posted by craigk
            Great cab work. One of the nicest builds I have ever seen.
            Thanks Craig!
            --
            Javad Shadzi
            Bay Area, CA

Comment

• The top part of the enclosure needs a panel brace as the dowel spine cannot run through the compression driver.

This panel ties together the sides and top of the enclosure, as well as to the dowel spine. Started out with some measurements

Roughed out

And finished

The top of the brace glues directly to the top and the CLD treatment will go around and clear the brace. I made the opening to accommodate a CD with up to a 6" diameter magnet should I ever want to try a different unit.

I will also integrate a sorbothane base for the CD to rest on once installed. I also finished the port module, this assembly is screwed into the enclosure and fully disassemblable from inside the enclosure for easy port tuning changes.

Thanks!
              --
              Javad Shadzi
              Bay Area, CA

Comment

• W-O-W ! VERY cool machinery (talkin' about your cabs, of course) !
                I know YOU knew they'd end up lookin' like this - but for the rest of us, the pics are wonderful.

Comment

• Phenominal work Javad!

Really enjoy following your progress throughout this build! Keep those pics coming!

Comment

• Really well done Javad! I know someone threw this in already, but I also think it would be amazing to use an acrylic top so you can see the insides. Please don't hide them!

Also, what are your thoughts on the finish for the wood? Are you leaving the layers visible, I hope?

Can't wait to see them done and hear your listening impressions!
                    Architect by trade, amateur woodworker, shade-tree mechanic, jack of all trades, master of none, and proud of it!

Like my Dad always says, "I know enough to be dangerous!"

Comment

• Each step is better than the one before. WOW!
                      Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
                      DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
                      Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

• Originally posted by kenny_k
                        Each step is better than the one before. WOW!
                        Thanks Kenny!
                        --
                        Javad Shadzi
                        Bay Area, CA

Comment

• Originally posted by jwjarch
                          Really well done Javad! I know someone threw this in already, but I also think it would be amazing to use an acrylic top so you can see the insides. Please don't hide them! Also, what are your thoughts on the finish for the wood? Are you leaving the layers visible, I hope? Can't wait to see them done and hear your listening impressions!
                          Glad you're enjoying it! I'll be doing a 400grit finish, danish oil, Crystalac wood grain filler and then spraying with a high gloss 2 part poly, but that's all a little ways off. Thanks!
                          --
                          Javad Shadzi
                          Bay Area, CA

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Roemer
                            W-O-W ! VERY cool machinery (talkin' about your cabs, of course) ! I know YOU knew they'd end up lookin' like this - but for the rest of us, the pics are wonderful.
                            Glad you guys are following along, wouldn't be nearly as much fun if I was the only one =)
                            --
                            Javad Shadzi
                            Bay Area, CA

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Roemer
                              W-O-W ! VERY cool machinery (talkin' about your cabs, of course) ! I know YOU knew they'd end up lookin' like this - but for the rest of us, the pics are wonderful.
                              I'll keep em coming! =)
                              --
                              Javad Shadzi
                              Bay Area, CA

Comment

• Attached the bottom panels on last night, this involved gluing on the bottom two layers, one which creates a flange and the very bottom which creates a bezel to flush mount the removable panel.

I still need to add the threaded inserts to attach the panel, the dowel spine will also attach to the center of the panel.

--
                                Javad Shadzi
                                Bay Area, CA

Comment

Working...
                                X