MWAF Project - Strafi Translam Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Javad
    I keep meaning to ask, in post #121 in the last photo, what are we seeing in the center hole of the brace? Is it the next brace with a hole? What is causing the grid pattern in it?

Comment

• I dunno man...this is unacceptable and highly disappointing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?photoid=1330430.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	1330433

Simple solution - just give those to me and start over.

Seriously though, fantastic work. You have way more patience than I do.
      Your results may vary.

Comment

• Originally posted by skatz
        Javad I keep meaning to ask, in post #121 in the last photo, what are we seeing in the center hole of the brace? Is it the next brace with a hole? What is causing the grid pattern in it?
        Hey yea, that's just the 2 additional braces behind the brace in the front, I took that shot to show how accurately everything lines up in this type of construction. Thanks! Javad
        --
        Javad Shadzi
        Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Comment

• Originally posted by mattp
          Haha thanks Matt! =P
          --
          Javad Shadzi
          Bay Area, CA

Comment

• Originally posted by mattp View Post
            I dunno man...this is unacceptable and highly disappointing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1330433[/ATTACH]

Simple solution - just give those to me and start over.

That little gap can be easily filled, but I'd be a lot more upset about the pattern error directly above where you've circled.
            Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, You get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

• Originally posted by dcibel
              That little gap can be easily filled, but I'd be a lot more upset about the pattern error directly above where you've circled.
              Yea I screwed that's one up but by the time I realized it, it was too late. I'm taking the Greek construction rationale that nothing is perfect except for God. Good news is the feet I'm making will pretty much cover that corner, but it is what it is, I'm definitely not "upset" about it like you suggest, I'm incredibly proud of what I've accomplished with this project so far =) Thanks, Javad
              --
              Javad Shadzi
              Bay Area, CA

Comment

• Jokes aside, there's lot's to be proud of in this build thread, including the chutzpah to share every detail, we don't see that too often esp for a MWAF entry.
                John H

SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

• Originally posted by jhollander
                  Jokes aside, there's lot's to be proud of in this build thread, including the chutzpah to share every detail, we don't see that too often esp for a MWAF entry.
                  Thanks John! I like sharing a lot of serial, and with speaker team projects and show entries it's impossible to capture the detail later on vs. doing updates every time you get some work done.
                  --
                  Javad Shadzi
                  Bay Area, CA

Comment

• Worked from home today and got a lot done between phone meetings and emails! Started last night by doing the final glue-in for the compression driver brace I also cut a disk to fit inside the top layer brace to center the top dowel brace receiver, this way the dowel is perfectly centered at the top connection point Here the dowel spine is installed and centered with the discs, all glued in place Dowel spine as it comes out the bottom, here I'm using a transfer punch to mark its location on the removable bottom Punch transferred And brass insert installed I installed more brass inserts around the flange and did all the fabrication on the removable bottom I also added the CD support which loads up the CD/horn assembly on a sorbothane pad once the horn is tightened down
                    --
                    Javad Shadzi
                    Bay Area, CA

Comment

• And one of the last steps, installing the top! I added quite a few additional dowels to hold the top on Even the CD brace got some dowels Test fit, dowels all line up Now to add the CLD treatment to the top panel, this is the CLD panel I made earlier, 1/4" Baltic birch, and 1/8" sorbothane pad This glue works well so long the CLD isn't structural (like holding the baffle into an enclosure) BB panel glued to the sorbothane and trimmed Glue applied to top, note the masking tape to keep the wood glue area clean Tape removed And finished, to add a little security two screws keep the panel in place with sorbothane washers under the steel washer to isolate them from the panel. These were overkill but I didn't want anything to happen And top gets glued on and clamped with the force of Zeus's hand View from the inside showing the CLD clearance around the CD brace And showing the CLD clearance to the enclosure layer A few more details I relieved the back of the driver opening for the 8" using this great router bit And the ports got a 3/4" round over, final sanding to come And where things are at, almost there! Thanks! Javad
                      --
                      Javad Shadzi
                      Bay Area, CA

Comment

• Quick demo of the CLD treatment on the top, the mic doesn't do it justice, the untreated piece of wood could be part of a xylophone, the treated panel is very dead, unfortunately the mic picks up reflections in the garage but if you listen close you can really hear it:
                        --
                        Javad Shadzi
                        Bay Area, CA

Comment

• you are doing a varied Q, this is not CLD. the varied Q can be very effective. just sent you a p.m.
                          craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

• Javad,
                            What a cool and complex build. You have it very well thought out. It is going to look fabulous. I love to see this kind of effort and I believe your step by step documentation of it will encourage others to tackle more complex projects.
                            Dan N.

Comment

• [QUOTE)l. These were overkill but I didn't want anything to happen
                              I cannot believe you used the term "Overkill" on this project. Looks great, carry on.

Comment

• Originally posted by dlneubec
                                Javad, What a cool and complex build. You have it very well thought out. It is going to look fabulous. I love to see this kind of effort and I believe your step by step documentation of it will encourage others to tackle more complex projects.
                                Thanks Dan! That means a lot coming from you as I've always respected the complexity and quality of your builds. It's interesting for many to see the detail and their reactions, often builds like this simply emerge and it's tough to fathom just how many steps there are to finish them unless you see them, your Schimtars come to mind.
                                --
                                Javad Shadzi
                                Bay Area, CA

Comment

Working...
                                X