MWAF Project - Strafi Translam Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Squidspeak
    I cannot believe you used the term "Overkill" on this project. Looks great, carry on.
    ;)
    --
    Javad Shadzi
    Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Comment

• Ok...whew, done with most of the stressful finish work! But first some wood filler for the few gaps that did make it through, found some famowood that matches very nicely.

So I decided to move the binding post location, originally I was going to mount them higher up the enclosure above the port module, but after staring at it for a while I decided it would look cool to do a recessed round area in line with the ports.

That meant modifying the port module base plate a little, no biggie. I cut the center out, now there are two base plates left and right, each located and held down with one dowel and 4 screws. Now I have an opening for the binding posts to pass though.

Location of binding post recess, 3.5" diameter

Router template held down with double sided tape

Recess made, now marking for binding post locations, I'm using a pair each for the CD and mid-basses in case I want to do these active now or later

Aaaand, another step I've been dreading as the chance of disaster is high, but my super sharp 1" round over oozes confidence...

And wala, really like how it turned out and how integrated the top panel looks with the baffle

Next step is to mount the drivers in one cabinet, measure the drivers and start working on the XO, once I'm done tuning the speakers then I'll take everything out and do the finish.

Thanks!
      Javad
      --
      Javad Shadzi
      Bay Area, CA

Comment

• Yup, the roundover on the top is NICE! How many passes? You're brave, that bit looks scary.

TomZ
        *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

• Originally posted by tomzarbo
          Yup, the roundover on the top is NICE! How many passes? You're brave, that bit looks scary. TomZ
          Thanks Tom, I do them in one slow pass, these Magnate bits are sharp and well balanced, they cut like the proverbial hot knife. This 1" isn't so bad but as we've discussed before the 1.25 is scarier and I still haven't used the 1.5" that I have.
          --
          Javad Shadzi
          Bay Area, CA

Comment

• Wow, you're way braver than I am. I always make multiple passes for even smaller roundovers or chamfers.
            Paul

Originally posted by JavadS View Post
            Thanks Tom, I do them in one slow pass, these Magnate bits are sharp and well balanced, they cut like the proverbial hot knife. This 1" isn't so bad but as we've discussed before the 1.25 is scarier and I still haven't used the 1.5" that I have.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul K.
              Wow, you're way braver than I am. I always make multiple passes for even smaller roundovers or chamfers. Paul
              Paul I did start with multiple passes early on using these larger bits but went to the one slow full pass soon after, I'm not very brave, it just goes really smoothly, I've done hundreds of passes like this in the past year with bits like this with not one hiccup. Thanks! Javad
              --
              Javad Shadzi
              Bay Area, CA

Comment

• Had a sanding party last night after everyone went to bed, all wood filler (minimal) work is complete so time to smooth this wood out.

Initially rough layers got 60 grit to remove any unevenness, then every surface fot 120 and then a final pass with 220. I'm still not 110% on finish but I believe I'll be using Crystalac then a final 400 grit.

Here is where things stand, baby but smooth and the grain is really starting to pop!

Next step is I'm going to do final assembly on one cabinet so I can start tuning the XO.

Thanks!
                Javad
                --
                Javad Shadzi
                Bay Area, CA

Comment

• Are you planning to use any grain filler before applying a your top coat?

Comment

• Originally posted by s7horton
                    Are you planning to use any grain filler before applying a your top coat?
                    Yea see above, last post, Crystalac
                    --
                    Javad Shadzi
                    Bay Area, CA

Comment

• Ignoring the bit size, what I found generally in using a router for roundovers and chamfers is that going too fast can take out chunks, depending on the type of wood, and going too slow burns the wood. My handheld DeWalt 621 is a pretty decent router with automatic bit speed control, and my bits are not "el cheapos" (but may not be as good as yours). I have no doubt that if I tried to make one slow pass for a 1-inch radius roundover there would be disastrous results, not only for the wood but possibly for me in some way.
                      Paul

Originally posted by JavadS View Post
                      Paul I did start with multiple passes early on using these larger bits but went to the one slow full pass soon after, I'm not very brave, it just goes really smoothly, I've done hundreds of passes like this in the past year with bits like this with not one hiccup. Thanks! Javad

Comment

• I guess if you have a VERY good bit and a very high HP router it can be done safely. I'd still take 2 passes at least if it were me, though... but we've talked about this before.
                        What you're doing obviously works for you.

Until it doesn't.

I'm kidding, I'm sure you know what you're doing. I do things that other people think is dangerous and I'm comfortable with it. We know our limits and the limits of our machinery if we do it long enough.

At any rate, they look crazy good.

TomZ
                        *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

• Hah yes thanks for the comments Paul and Tom, I've been doing round overs with a hand held router since I was 15 (I'm 42), so I'm very comfortable with the tool and have lots of experience using it, you guys do too.

Just to say why I'm comfortable with my techniques, they're nothing new and very proven to me. In high school and college I built car stereo systems and would often build multiple subwoofer boxes a day, it was a router in one hand and a Bosch jig saw in the other, and lots of table sawing in between =)

Paul the only issue I've had with blowouts doing full depth cuts are:

1 - a knot or some strange grain anomaly, I either go slower with these or multiple passes

2 - on plywood, its critical the router base is always cutting from on the top veneer layer, or the top veneer layer must be perpendicular to the router but. What happens if you come on on the end grain of plywood, the bit blows out the plywood layers as the bit moves forward towards it. This it's important to stop short of the end grain and do another pass 90d off or flat on the veneer of that piece.

Thanks!
                          Javad
                          Last edited by JavadS; 05-09-2017, 11:49 AM.
                          --
                          Javad Shadzi
                          Bay Area, CA

Comment

• 2 - on plywood, its critical the router base is always cutting from on the top veneer layer, or the top veneer layer must be perpendicular to the router but. What happens if you come on on the end grain of plywood, the bit blows out the plywood layers as the bit moves forward towards it. This it's important to stop short of the end grain and do another pass 90d off or flat on the veneer of that piece. This is a good example here.

Thanks!
                            Javad[/QUOTE]

I did not understand what you mean here, can you try again?

Also, when I have used a bearing guided router bit, I have had trouble with the bearing leaving a mark in the surface its riding on. I don't see that here, have you had trouble with that? I'm usually doing it on a veneered surface and you are on hardwood, that may be the difference, but I've had this even when all I'm doing is trimming veneer on the the top surface.

Comment

• My first time chiming in here. Real inspiring build!
                              And nice pics! You have good photography skills. What are you using for a camera?

Comment

• Originally posted by skatz
                                I did not understand what you mean here, can you try again?
                                I don't want to derail this thread too much so I'll start a new thread with some additional photographic references his week, I can even set up a demo about it, thanks!
                                --
                                Javad Shadzi
                                Bay Area, CA

Comment

Working...
                                X