MWAF Project - Strafi Translam Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ontariomaximus
    My first time chiming in here. Real inspiring build! And nice pics! You have good photography skills. What are you using for a camera?
    Glad you're enjoying it! Just using my iPhone 7, for the "final photo shoots" I do when my projects are finished, I use a Nikon D90 with the stock lens, thanks!
    --
    Javad Shadzi
    Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Comment

• Got drivers installed in one cabinet, I really love bits like this for easy quick work drilling perfectly centered driver mounting screws

All drivers in, always a good sight!

Found the perfect screws to use with these horns

Temporary wiring in the bottom until I finalize crossovers, the dual binding posts will be nice for external tuning as well, I'll have to isolate the lower woofer for the .5 circuit though.

And all buttoned up

And they weigh in about 70lbs right where I was estimating fully loaded

Need to carry them in the house and start doing measurements tonight!

Thanks,
      Javad
      --
      Javad Shadzi
      Bay Area, CA

Comment

• Javad, this continues to inspire me! Things are looking phenomenal and I can't wait to see these in person at MWAF! What kind of drill bit is that? Looks like a low cost life saver when it comes to speaker building!
        Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70

Comment

• I second the question on the drill bit - I always get some off centre and not 90 degrees...

Also, I have that extremely satisfied feeling looking at these pics...and I only watched you build it! Congrats on getting these most of the way there as far as cabinet construction goes. Looking forward to seeing your measuring and tuning process.

Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by KEtheredge87
            Javad, this continues to inspire me! Things are looking phenomenal and I can't wait to see these in person at MWAF! What kind of drill bit is that? Looks like a low cost life saver when it comes to speaker building!
            Glad you're enjoying it! Search "self centering drill bit", ones I use are from Bosch, they're definitely great!
            --
            Javad Shadzi
            Bay Area, CA

Comment

• Quick video showing the CD loading up on the sorbothane support pad
              --
              Javad Shadzi
              Bay Area, CA

Comment

• Been working on the XO the last few days, going well, have had several late nights where all of a sudden I realize it's 2am =)

Horns and CD are always fun to work with as they are incredibly efficient and rarely have flat frequency response (usually a big hump) around Fc.

I've only listened to one tower in mono so far but they sound really good, very detailed, fast bass, efficient, cabinets are very non-resonant.

Air velocity through the ports is very low but the ports are currently at 37hz (I made them extra long) and I want to end up more in the 45-50 range so I'll be adjusting those, nice thing is I can make more smaller port inserts and always go back and forth the way I designed them.

More coming, thanks!
                Javad
                --
                Javad Shadzi
                Bay Area, CA

Comment

• I think all of us that have been following this build wish we could be there with you at this time!

It would be fascinating if you could build a plain box of appropriate size and compare the sound of the laminated box to the plain one. It will be hard to know how much difference all of that work makes otherwise.

Comment

• Originally posted by skatz
                    I think all of us that have been following this build wish we could be there with you at this time! It would be fascinating if you could build a plain box of appropriate size and compare the sound of the laminated box to the plain one. It will be hard to know how much difference all of that work makes otherwise.
                    Yes that would be fun! Especially getting listening impressions from other people is always very valuable, after a few hours you start to go crazy trying to hear the differences. I've considered it, especially the effect of just having square edges on the baffle versus the generous radius it has now, would be easy enough to do but I got to get these bad boys finished up first.
                    --
                    Javad Shadzi
                    Bay Area, CA

Comment

• I don't believe that I would ever consider doing something like that. But, you have a very unusual box, it would be interesting to see how much difference it makes. Its something I have always wondered about when someone puts a ton of effort into an unusual build, and I wonder how much they get out of it. Some things are pretty obvious, like the diffraction effects of the edge boundaries, but you have multiple things going on. You could get a publishable paper out of it if you wanted to do a comparison.

Comment

• Playing with feet, these are 3D printed prototypes, final units will be machines from billet aluminum and anodized Rear Both Front foot is threaded adjustable so the speaker can be tilted back The rubber foot is a 50 Durometer 2.5" sorbothane sphere
                        --
                        Javad Shadzi
                        Bay Area, CA

Comment

• Absolutely a great build. Can't wait to hear 'em.

shawn
                          My favorite woofer is a Labrador retriever.

Comment

• Javad, assuming you're entering the Strafi in the over-$200 category at MWAF, I'm sure looking forward to hearing them, while nervously contemplating competing with them with my Brioso speakers which you heard at InDIYana!
                            Paul

Comment

• I vote for the pointy foot.

Looking awesome.
                              I can't believe how much the quality level and complexity has increased since I went to my first DIY Speaker event 8 years ago!

TomZ
                              *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                              *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

• Beautiful job!

Comment

Working...
                                X