No announcement yet.

A little rant for Part Express

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As bad as this is, trying to find something at MCM is much worse, imho.

Comment

Never even saw a Parts Express paper catalog until recently. I guess that I'm just used to the website.

Baby boomers and early gen x'ers 'probably with the horn-rimmed bifocals.

I'm just kidding, though. I grew up with catalogs and I totally get it.

Comment

If you sign up for mailings at the bottom of the PE home page you should get the flyers. I get them in the mail and I get them in the shipment when I place an order.

Ron
        C-Note Iron Driver Build
        The Lydias
        The Cherry π's
        The Champs - Iron Driver 2015 Entry
        My Projects Page

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg

Comment

Originally posted by donc View Post
          "This strategy worked for the Shack !" , damn that was good !
          donc
          The Shack didn't die for the lack of a catalog, they died for the lack of a direction. They started off selling leather goods, ventured into audio, decided to hop on the computer bandwagon, abandoned that for cell phones, and now they seem destined to be selling leather goods again.
          I don't care about catalogs, but if I want something I need to be able to find it, so if the catalog in print is history PE has to make sure that one can find what they're looking for as easily on-line as with a catalog.
          www.billfitzmaurice.com
          www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

I don't know a thing about the workings of PE relative to their sourcing of products and subsequent pricing they are faced with. However, It's not hard to imagine a scenario where PE has become faced with a more rapidly changing supplier market and resultant wholesale pricing of products. That scenario would easily lead to NOT committing to an annual catalog where the prices are pretty much locked in with, of course, some exceptions that do require price adjustments. W/o that commitment, PE is free to adjust web site prices, remove or add products at will.
            Not out of the realm of possibility.
            Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

Comment

I definitely miss catalogs, 2014 was like the dream of a life time!
              A mains
              The Ventures
              Open Invit8tions
              RSR
              Sound Troopers
              Acorns
              DGBG's
              The Monuments

Comment

Jeff, I hear you.
                I haven't purchased anything in a while from PE, so I don't know the exact pain you're dealing with. But, I see this same thing in my profession from several vendors who have stopped publishing catalogs.

I find that online searches are much quicker / better when you know exactly what you want. But, much slower when you don't know what you want and are looking for that "ah ha" moment when the answer just jumps off the catalog page.

I can tell you, when I'm doing a small project at work where it isn't worth creating a specification with 3 equal products and I just put one product on the details, it frequently is from the manufacturer that still sends out an easy to read catalog.

Wow. That makes me feel like such an old curmudgeon. I'm too young to be a curmudgeon. ;)

Anyone else miss the old DAK catalogs? I was in middle school / highschool when I got them. And didn't have a clue. But, those were fun.
                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center
                CJD In-Khan-Neatos - A Dayton RS180/RS150/RS28 In/On Wall MTW

Comment

As a guess, I'd venture that "Accessories" and "Speaker Building" sections (as in my 2015 catalog) provide PE's lion's share of sales; how about just a catalog with those? And maybe not so glossy, which would be cheaper. And send them to folks buying from those sections. Browsing through a hand-held catalog is a great diversion, and MUST encourage the browser to buy more than they otherwise would. Probably the best catalog browsing this senior ever did was the original Whole Earth catalog back in the early 70s.....still have mine!

Comment

If you shake your fist at them from your front porch as well, they will stay off your lawn. Just please make sure you tie your robe tight this time....

I miss catalogs, but adapt by making lists, and have a "pop" notebook and as things pop in my head, I jot them down. Don't bend the spoon, bend the space around it.

Heck, even that is an outdated saying now lol :eek:

Comment

Originally posted by theinventor View Post

This strategy worked for the Shack.
                      I almost heard a "rim shot" when I read that.
                      Sausage With Meat Sause, Please

Comment

Originally posted by ---k--- View Post
                        Anyone else miss the old DAK catalogs? I was in middle school / highschool when I got them. And didn't have a clue. But, those were fun.
                        I would pour over these as a young boy ...

1967 Lafayette Catalog.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                          PE, want to really make everyone happy?
                          In before avalanche of unexpected comments.

Sausage With Meat Sause, Please

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                            The Shack didn't die for the lack of a catalog, they died for the lack of a direction. They started off selling leather goods, ventured into audio, decided to hop on the computer bandwagon, abandoned that for cell phones, and now they seem destined to be selling leather goods again.
                            I don't care about catalogs, but if I want something I need to be able to find it, so if the catalog in print is history PE has to make sure that one can find what they're looking for as easily on-line as with a catalog.
                            I don't think Tandy Leather and Tandy are the same company, are they? Last I knew, Tandy Leather was still in business.

Later,
                            Wolf
                            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I miss the catalogs, too. I'm not a customer who buys a lot, but every order I've placed has been augmented with items I didn't really need at that time (and apparently still don't considering the size of my PE "extras" box!), but were purchased after browsing the catalog prior to placing an order.

Note that word, "browsing." That's something I just have not mastered on the computer. There, I know exactly what I want, but I'm rarely attracted by anything else, unless I need a few more dollars to earn free shipping.

To me, a printed catalog is less a reference manual than a dream creator. I can't count the number of potential projects that were born while killing time thumbing thru a catalog.

GeeDeeEmm

Comment

I wonder whether there would be a way to incorporate user suggestions for search items? Like, when I finally found that grille foam (not easy to do via search!), allow me to put in some words that I tried (but which didn't work) to get me to it and have their system then respond to those words appropriately. There would have to be a way to avoid abuse of such a feature by would-be comedians, though
                                Free & Free-form simulator/designer for Passive Crossovers
                                SynergyCalc 5: design spreadsheet for Wooden horns and DIY Synergy Waveguides
                                Super easy and cheap to make high performance sound diffusers

Comment

Working...
                                X