Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What impact will a slightly smaller box have?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What impact will a slightly smaller box have?

Greetings,

It has been awhile since I've built anything and I'm getting the bug again. I'm more of an assembler than a builder because I don't have a shop in which I can build cabinets. So, I'm looking at Paul Carmody's Carrera design. Paul calls for a vented 15 liter box. PE sells a curved wall 0.5 cu ft box that nets out at 14L internal volume. The front baffle dimension is also 1/2 inch wider.

Can any of you more knowledgeable folks tell me what, if any, impact this might have on the design?

Thank you.

Originally posted by ozob View Post
    Greetings,

It has been awhile since I've built anything and I'm getting the bug again. I'm more of an assembler than a builder because I don't have a shop in which I can build cabinets. So, I'm looking at Paul Carmody's Carrera design. Paul calls for a vented 15 liter box. PE sells a curved wall 0.5 cu ft box that nets out at 14L internal volume. The front baffle dimension is also 1/2 inch wider.

Can any of you more knowledgeable folks tell me what, if any, impact this might have on the design?

Thank you.
    Some will make a tempest in a teapot out of it, but it will make very little difference once in their location. You are talking small (6%) changenin volume and the varaition in the driver can be greater than that.

The width will change the BSC/diffraction a bit, but unless you are a foot from the speakers, the environment and HRTFs wll eat that up.

I would proceed.
    Facebook Page - Ocean State Acoustics

Comment

I agree w/mike.
      Since your box IS slightly smaller (and Paul gives a range of tunings), adding an extra inch should keep the tuning a bit closer to advertised.

Comment

I've used the DATS system to determine the TS parameters for a number of drivers and find that there can be a significant difference between the published values and the ones I determine. And Ray Alden in "Speaker Building 201" states "there is general accord that a 20% variation in Vas will not have a serious effect......." So I'd guess you'd be fine with this small change in volume. Using the DATS to measure your drivers might even find that 14L is the correct size!

Comment

Thank you very much for your comments.

Comment

You can build it in that cabinet no problem. Should look great!
            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
            Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Thanks Paul. Going to give it a go.

Comment

Working...
              X