Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I made a lot of sawdust this past weekend cutting MDF for a pair of STATEMENTS II.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I made a lot of sawdust this past weekend cutting MDF for a pair of STATEMENTS II.


  • #2
    I don't understand why the STATEMENTS enclosure design has the midranges open all the way to the back. Something definitely needs to be done to the highly reflective surfaces of the midrange tunnels!

    Comment


    • #3
      Very cool, I'll be following to see your progress and learn a thing or two.

      Just curious, you mentioned Intel guys, where are you located? I work for them too, I'm in Oregon.

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm in Sacramento, they work out there in Folsom. Thank you for your encouragement.

        Comment


        • #5
          I don't understand why the STATEMENTS enclosure design has the midranges open all the way to the back. Something definitely needs to be done to the highly reflective surfaces of the midrange tunnels!
          The mid chamber is a transmission line. The open back is beneficial to prevent reflections from bouncing back through the speaker cone.
          "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
          exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

          Comment


          • #6
            I don't understand why the STATEMENTS enclosure design has the midranges open all the way to the back. Something definitely needs to be done to the highly reflective surfaces of the midrange tunnels!
            The mid tunnels are lined with one inch flat foam. Bevel it at 45 degrees on the driver end, hold it back from the driver about two inches and cut it flush at the back of the cabinet. If you have a dead/reflective room, adjust the foam.

            Check out Curt's website or HT Guide for complete instructions. There are dozens of build threads and builder reviews at HT Guide.

            HTH

            Jim

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by dcibel View Post
              The mid chamber is a transmission line. The open back is beneficial to prevent reflections from bouncing back through the speaker cone.
              Not long enough to be a transmission line. So instead of reflections bouncing back through the speaker cone, they bounce back off of the rear wall. Not really an improvement.
              ​I'll likely lightly stuff the midrange tunnels with a slug of fiberglas.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post

                The mid tunnels are lined with one inch flat foam. Bevel it at 45 degrees on the driver end, hold it back from the driver about two inches and cut it flush at the back of the cabinet. If you have a dead/reflective room, adjust the foam.

                Check out Curt's website or HT Guide for complete instructions. There are dozens of build threads and builder reviews at HT Guide.

                HTH

                Jim
                ​Thank you for your reply. I'm glad the midrange tunnels are lined, as they should be. We are thinking of substituting some tubes or pipes in place of the midrange tunnel-boxes. I'll likely have more questions as the build progresses. We kind of don't like the aesthetics of the down firing port and are thinking of a rear mounted port instead.

                Comment


                • #9

                  ​Thank you for your reply. I'm glad the midrange tunnels are lined, as they should be. We are thinking of substituting some tubes or pipes in place of the midrange tunnel-boxes. I'll likely have more questions as the build progresses. We kind of don't like the aesthetics of the down firing port and are thinking of a rear mounted port instead.
                  A rear firing port works just fine. I was on a "hide the port" kick when I designed it with a down firing port. There aren't any performance differences of course. Here's a link to Curt's website which has complete plans. http://speakerdesignworks.com/Statement_II_3.html

                  Jim

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Alan , when you chose the Statement II project were you not aware that the open mid-tunnels are probably the major design aspect of the project.?. The finalists design uses a 6" PVC tube instead of the square tunnels in the statements, which is also lined with foam. Maybe you could substitute the PVC in the statement but that would
                    be a question for Jim H

                    Comment


                    • #11

                      ​Thank you for your reply. I'm glad the midrange tunnels are lined, as they should be. We are thinking of substituting some tubes or pipes in place of the midrange tunnel-boxes. I'll likely have more questions as the build progresses. We kind of don't like the aesthetics of the down firing port and are thinking of a rear mounted port instead.
                      They call it a transmission line on Curt's site.
                      "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                      exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

                      Comment


                      • #12

                        Not long enough to be a transmission line. So instead of reflections bouncing back through the speaker cone, they bounce back off of the rear wall. Not really an improvement.
                        ​I'll likely lightly stuff the midrange tunnels with a slug of fiberglas.
                        Hi Allen,

                        Before you rush to judgement, listen to them as designed. Curt created the crossover to blend the front/rear sound waves from the mids when the speaker is positioned 18"-24" from the back of the cabinet to the rear walls. Open back mids isn't something Curt and I invented. Its used on a few commercial speakers too. The open back mid eliminates the "boxy" sound and opens up the soundstage to better recreate the original performance.

                        As always, the "Y" in DIY is the builder so they can do what ever they want.

                        Good luck with the build!

                        Jim

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post
                          Alan , when you chose the Statement II project were you not aware that the open mid-tunnels are probably the major design aspect of the project.?. The finalists design uses a 6" PVC tube instead of the square tunnels in the statements, which is also lined with foam. Maybe you could substitute the PVC in the statement but that would
                          be a question for Jim H
                          I didn't choose the project, I'm only the carpenter - advisor for the project. It's a collaboration.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post

                            Hi Allen,

                            Before you rush to judgement, listen to them as designed. Curt created the crossover to blend the front/rear sound waves from the mids when the speaker is positioned 18"-24" from the back of the cabinet to the rear walls. Open back mids isn't something Curt and I invented. Its used on a few commercial speakers too. The open back mid eliminates the "boxy" sound and opens up the soundstage to better recreate the original performance.

                            As always, the "Y" in DIY is the builder so they can do what ever they want.

                            Good luck with the build!

                            Jim
                            Yes, I understand the concept. However the mids end up being di-polar as opposed to the woofers and tweeter. Open back is nice, but in my opinion the tunnels are a bit too narrow to not color the rearward exiting sound from the mids.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by dcibel View Post
                              The mid chamber is a transmission line. The open back is beneficial to prevent reflections from bouncing back through the speaker cone.
                              Reflections back through the cone are always a problem, that is why you use absorbative damping materials inside the enclosure.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X