Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I made a lot of sawdust this past weekend cutting MDF for a pair of STATEMENTS II.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The issue is has found nothing but design flaws with a speaker that has been built by numerous people with no complaints. If acceptable is not good enough maybe he shoild design a higher level of accuracy model from the ground up for his friends. Other wise maybe he needs to restrain his criticism to himself.
    craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

While I don't agree with AE's opinions about the Statements cabinet design, he makes a good point with respect to choosing one's words carefully.

That said, I've built both the Statement Monitors and Statements with butt joints and very good results. Both of the builds were written up here and photos can be see in my Tech-talk photo library as well as the build threads. Aligning the joints is fairly easy working with a large flat surface and a sufficient number of cabinet clamps.

On the topic of strength, both speakers were built 5 or more years ago and were moved by a commercial moving company 3 yrs. ago from Washington state to Arizona. No structural issues have been found since completion. IMHO, that speaks volumes as to the structural strength of butt joints and Titebond III glue. Rabbet joints are clearly stronger due to increased surface/glue area, but best left to the more obsessive among us.

Open Baffles, I have found the Statement open backs to be very effective at enhancing the ambiance without giving up location and sound stage. A close friend left his Philharmonic 2's with me on a long-term loan last weekend. So, I'm fortunate to have 3 open baffle speaker systems in my 30'D x 20'W x 10'H dedicated listening room. At this point I can't think of any DIY or commercial speakers I'd rather have in my listening room.

Just my opinion, YMMV, etc, etc.
      If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
      ~ Johnny Carson

Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

Comment

Statements are design by Jim and Curt and their vision and representation of a particular alignment and drivers. Anyone who is not happy with the design is surely welcome to experiment and build his/her own.
        http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post

Not necessarily. If you oversize the panels that will have the edges showing ( leave 1/8" sticking out) you can easily go over the edges with a flush trim bit and router. Takes a couple minutes if your good with a router.
          ​Everything is a trade off or compromise. Router this or rabbet that. You use what you prefer, I'll use what I prefer. I tell you one thing though, my rabbeted and epoxied enclosures are stronger and straighter than butt joints and wood glue.

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post

Not necessarily. If you oversize the panels that will have the edges showing ( leave 1/8" sticking out) you can easily go over the edges with a flush trim bit and router. Takes a couple minutes if your good with a router.
            Why?, it is not that hard to leave a 1/64" overhang. Routing off 1/8" of MDF will fill your workspace/airspace with unwanted superfine dust. Dust is unavoidable but
            ​you can minimize it. After routing you still have to sand the joint flush as there is always still a C-hair left and that is a good thing so when the glue has cured you can
            flush up the joint.

Comment

Originally posted by bungelow_ed View Post
              While I don't agree with AE's opinions about the Statements cabinet design, he makes a good point with respect to choosing one's words carefully.

That said, I've built both the Statement Monitors and Statements with butt joints and very good results. Both of the builds were written up here and photos can be see in my Tech-talk photo library as well as the build threads. Aligning the joints is fairly easy working with a large flat surface and a sufficient number of cabinet clamps.

On the topic of strength, both speakers were built 5 or more years ago and were moved by a commercial moving company 3 yrs. ago from Washington state to Arizona. No structural issues have been found since completion. IMHO, that speaks volumes as to the structural strength of butt joints and Titebond III glue. Rabbet joints are clearly stronger due to increased surface/glue area, but best left to the more obsessive among us.

Open Baffles, I have found the Statement open backs to be very effective at enhancing the ambiance without giving up location and sound stage. A close friend left his Philharmonic 2's with me on a long-term loan last weekend. So, I'm fortunate to have 3 open baffle speaker systems in my 30'D x 20'W x 10'H dedicated listening room. At this point I can't think of any DIY or commercial speakers I'd rather have in my listening room.

Just my opinion, YMMV, etc, etc.
              ​I'm not against open baffles, but those aren't open baffles they are tunnels. Try speaking through a tunnel and then tell me how it sounds? It changes the character of the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by r-carpenter
                Statements are design by Jim and Curt and their vision and representation of a particular alignment and drivers. Anyone who is not happy with the design is surely welcome to experiment and build his/her own.
                Exactly right Roman.
                craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
                  The issue is has found nothing but design flaws with a speaker that has been built by numerous people with no complaints. If acceptable is not good enough maybe he shoild design a higher level of accuracy model from the ground up for his friends. Other wise maybe he needs to restrain his criticism to himself.
                  ​If Jim or Curt have anything to say, then they are perfectly within their rights to. You on the other hand have no say in the matter and your immature opinions are not relevant. I flagged your name calling reply as inappropriate. Currently I'm respecting the rules as set down by PartsExpress and will refrain from replying in kind.

Comment

douche bag is cussing ? sorry buttercup, honey bun, sugar pie. I will be more kind an gentle with you next time.
                    Name calling is outside the guidelines as set down by PartsExpress.

Comment

Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post

I used to build custom cabinets, and I agree that dados and rabbets make assembly a lot easier, but butt joints work perfectly fine too if you're using MDF or Birch. Even with dados and rabbets you'll have endgrain to sand, and you can make the same mistakes using dados and rabbets as you can with butt joints.

Just being honest here... my whole reason for posting wasn't to correct you on your cabinet work; it seemed more like you were taking cheap shots at the Statements in an attempt to wow the community with your brilliance than trying to simply post a build thread. And while I have no personal connection to Curt or Jim, they're both very well respected here (and for good reason) and have given a LOT to the community. While OB mids may not be for everyone, to each their own and I (personally) really appreciate Curt and Jim's contributions to us here in the community. And to say the Statement's build plans "leave room to be desired"...? Show me a DIY speaker build that comes with better plans. You do know they do this for free; right? I built the full size Statements for my dad and didn't have any issues doing the math to incorporate dados and rabbets on my build... and IMO the reason it was so simple was because Jim and Curt's build pics and plans were so well explained.
                      ​Are you Jim's spokesperson? Didn't you see his replies? Did he get all bent out of shape and start name calling and such? My take is that the enclosure design is very simplified, which is perfectly OK for those that may not have a shop full of power tools and such. I however will incorporate modifications that in MY OPINION will enhance the over all quality of the enclosures.

Comment

Originally posted by
                        Name calling is outside the guidelines as set down by PartsExpress.
                        Really ? I have not laughed this hard in a long time. Thank you.
                        craigk

Comment

Really ? I have not laughed this hard in a long time. Thank you.
                          Really!

Comment

Originally posted by View Post

​I'm not against open baffles, but those aren't open baffles they are tunnels. Try speaking through a tunnel and then tell me how it sounds? It changes the character of the sound.

Yes, they are tunnels, lined with acoustic foam.
                            If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
                            ~ Johnny Carson

Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

Comment

Originally posted by bungelow_ed View Post

Yes, they are tunnels, lined with acoustic foam.
                              ​I was only equipped with the cutting diagrams, not with all the rest of the design. Like Jim said, there is always plenty of room for "Yourself" when doing DIY.

Comment

I've had the pleasure of hearing both the original Statements, Statements II and Statements monitors in many different rooms. One thing I can say with 100% certainty, they are highly dependent on proper setup and room placement. I've built a set of Statements II (my build thread is over on HTGuide) and in my room they're fantastic. I didn't have any issues with butt joints, though i did add additional bracing.

Comment

Working...
                                X