RS180P/RS225P Sound quality

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS180P/RS225P Sound quality

I've been doing some researching of the RS paper series but there's surprisingly little feedback regarding how they stack up against competitors. Seems there are a couple designs that have been done using them but again not too much mention of the drivers themselves performance-wise. How do they hold up against Peerless, SB Acoustics, etc? Do they have a similar distortion profile to the aluminum series?

With regard to the paper RS180p, I found a distortion plot here:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...60245-rs180p-8

For the aluminum RS180, I found a distortion plot:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...ms-4550-a.html

The measurements were obviously taken by different people under different conditions and with differing equipment.
    Perhaps, you can get some idea of their performance notwithstanding?

Subjective opinions will vary based on brand and model, I'm sure.
    Most people have their favorite drivers for various reasons.

Shawn

Comment

i love mine ! but i haven't built with any other drivers to offer a good comparison . the Rs225 will hit a bit deeper but the RS225P is a bit smoother on the upper end , less break up . after hearing my RS180P/28F surrounds Jbrunner said he likes the RS180P over the aluminum 180 . as far as distortion the aluminum version get a slight nod at about -60 to -55 where the Paper versions are at -55 to -50 hope that helps . my builds are in my sig.
      Paper Towers
      RS180P/28F surrounds
      Boombox

Comment

I did a TMM design with the RS225 last year for Mike220. I really, really enjoyed it. I would gladly keep them in my house. They had the benefits of a workable Frequency Response in the midrange, but the ability to play very low and very loud.
        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
        Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Hello

I haven't heard the RS225P, but I have a pair of Curt Campbell's "Slapshot" MTMs with the RS180P and Morel tweeters: fantastic speakers, best I've ever owned. Not cheap, but not at all expensive when the performance/value is considered.

I think they sound very natural, on all kinds of music. I auditioned the RS621 speakers when deciding what to build and found them a bit too 'clean' and clinical for music which wasn't well recorded. Maybe this means they have very low distortion, I don't know.

Apart from anything else, it looks like the RS180P can use a simpler crossover as it doesn't have the 'peaks' of the RS180.

To compare the RS180P with our other DIY speakers, the Classix II and Tritrix,, they play louder and are more detailed - but then the RS drivers are much more expensive.

We use the Slapshots in our living room for our stereo system and the Classix and Tritrix in my workshop as a 5.1 system. "Horses for Courses", each system sounds great for what we ask them to do.

Hope this helps

Geoff

Comment

I really enjoyed the RS225P I used in a 2-way with the RS28A. Not a bass pump by any stretch of the imagination, but it is clean and listenable otherwise.
            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
              I did a TMM design with the RS225 last year for Mike220. I really, really enjoyed it. I would gladly keep them in my house. They had the benefits of a workable Frequency Response in the midrange, but the ability to play very low and very loud.

I heard these at InDIYana last year and agree with everything Paul said. Couldn't find anything to complain about - at all.
              Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Argon | Helium | Lithium | LithMTM | Hafnium
              Mercury | Matrix | Shrubbery

Comment

Thanks guys. I've got it on my radar. I'm contemplating doing an 8in 2way...

Comment

Working...
                X