No announcement yet.

Cool find at Target

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joey, I'm might try these with the PS95s as surrounds. Do you think a BSC circuit would help with the low end? For surrounds, based on your experience so far, crossed at about 100hz, do you think they'd be fine as-is, sealed?

Nice find on this!

Comment

Originally posted by ScenesFromAHat View Post
      ...Do you think a BSC circuit would help with the low end? ...
      BSC attenuates High Frequency - it doesn't boost bass.

"Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
      “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
      "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
        BSC attenuates High Frequency - it doesn't boost bass.

While that is technically true... By reducing the mids and a little of the high frequencies, the over all balance sounds like it has more bass. Some think that it increases the bass because of how it sounds though. But the reality is that the expense of this is an over all reduction in sensitivity.

For surrounds I probably wouldn't mess with BSC as there is little to no low frequency content. I would want the sensitivity, and might even try to find an even louder driver that handles more power that could fit in there. Maybe a W3-2141 would work.

Since Target is not really a competitor to PE I figure I can link here. Target also has these other flower pots (Joey's is sold as a flower pot) which might work with other drivers:

http://www.target.com/p/hand-made-mo...ecs|50279931|1

http://www.target.com/p/hand-made-mo...ecs|50277224|1

This shadow box could be used to make a mini atmos ceiling speaker...

http://www.target.com/p/hand-made-mo...ecs|50277569|2

Joey can you show a pic of the enclosure with the PS95 in it? Does the rim of the driver go past the edge of the enclosure?

Comment

As far as filter work goes, I don't really know enough to say and would trust one of hear other guys or find one of the few networks already designed for it.

As far as using it sealed in a surround application to 100hz, absolutely possible and maybe extremely well suited in my opinion. I tested this quick dirty sealed ps95 setup tucked in the corner of my kitchen floor to see what it sounded like with boundary reinforcement and I was happy with the response, definitely better than a nonfiltered nd91. Way better top end, midrange cleaner and surprising extension. I know you don't plan on really getting that extension for the application you describe, but am highly optimistic about porting this and what it will do for the bottom octaves.
          Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

MSN, I'll get a pic up in a bit. The edge of the ps95 sits just about tangent with the sides. Almost like it was intended for the purpose, it's that close.
            Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Originally posted by make_some_noise View Post
              While that is technically true... By reducing the mids and a little of the high frequencies, the over all balance sounds like it has more bass. Some think that it increases the bass because of how it sounds though. But the reality is that the expense of this is an over all reduction in sensitivity....
              Yup Balance by reduction. Particularly on drivers that are not "optimum" for bass and don't have high sensitivity to begin with .
              "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
              “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
              "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
                As far as filter work goes, I don't really know enough to say and would trust one of hear other guys or find one of the few networks already designed for it.

As far as using it sealed in a surround application to 100hz, absolutely possible and maybe extremely well suited in my opinion. I tested this quick dirty sealed ps95 setup tucked in the corner of my kitchen floor to see what it sounded like with boundary reinforcement and I was happy with the response, definitely better than a nonfiltered nd91. Way better top end, midrange cleaner and surprising extension. I know you don't plan on really getting that extension for the application you describe, but am highly optimistic about porting this and what it will do for the bottom octaves.
                We can probably dial it in. I'm playing with the driver in winISD now.. Any chance you can fill the enclosure with some sand, rice, beans, flour or something else.... Give it a few taps to make sure it's all settled, then dump the contents into a measuring cup, then tap that to settle it in order to get an idea of it's volume ?

Comment

Absolutely! Will report back in an hour.

Comment

Just went by Target

For reference, the outer diameter of that pot ^^ is 5 and 1/8 inches, and the inner is 4.5"

As for the septagon (not heptagon ;) ) Joey is using, the outer diameter is roughly 4-4.25" and the inner diameter varies from 3.5-3.75"

Comment

I suppose an RS100 would work for surrounds, no? Any thought as to the PS95 vs RS100 for sounds from those who are more knowledgeable than me? They have the same overall diameter and cutout diameter

Comment

They don't need to hit 20k or go deep for HT though. DS90 or DSA90 might be good options too. The RS100 does handle a little more power.

Comment

2.5 cups/0.6L/0.02cuft

Comment

^ According to the online converter, .6 liters = .02 cu ft. 2.5 cups = .025 cu ft.

I went to Target and bought the medium melamine cannisters. According to my calculations,the volume is about .08 cu ft which would work well with tb w3 1364sa sealed. The melamine cannisters come with a wooden lids that can be used as baffle.
                            Medium melamine cannisters

Comment

The rs 100 should be perfect in the septagon sealed. According to pe the volume should be .04 cu ft. Maybe an aperiodic vent would provide optimal tuning.

My target has only 1 septagon left. Otherwise I will get cheap drivers to make cut little speakers.

Comment

just simmed the RS100P-4 in the septagons. They have a bump at 200-300hz then slope down pretty hard and are 9.5db down at 100Hz.

This can be mitigated a bit by applying 2 EQ points to them. First, put a 5db gain centered at 100hz, then put a -1db gain centered at 250hz. This (sort of) smooths out the response, and they can handle up to 20w before hitting xmax at 100hz. All that EQing can easily be done in an AVR. I have a Yamaha Aventage and the PEQ works for this.

This gives a F3 of 112hz.

Far before xmax would be getting hit, the sub would be taking over anyway. I think I like this sim.

Going to try the PS95 now.

Comment

Working...
                                X