Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• make_some_noise
    replied
    Another thought for the septagon.... Cut an end cap for the open side out of pine... And use an ND65 in either end of it... would make the perfect desktop PC speaker. I might do just this. If you used three of them on a pole you could make an ND65 MTM..... hmmmmm.

Leave a comment:

• joeybutts
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sydney
    replied
    A problem with a very long very skinny port, is it behaves like a flute

Leave a comment:

• ronk
    replied
    Or use 2 septagon glued together with a hole drilled in the back. This should double the volume for a smoother bass response for sealed. The shape will be unique.

Leave a comment:

• ScenesFromAHat
    replied
    Yes, he's actually working on a revolutionary method of cabinet making using flower petals and stems.

I believe he just meant that shape-wise, that's what he was thinking. Long, narrow stand/port to add volume, and the bowl/driver = the blossom

Leave a comment:

• Sydney
    replied
    A Daffodil?

Leave a comment:

• make_some_noise
    replied
    Originally posted by ScenesFromAHat View Post
    On a serious note, I had seen those, and they are cool, just a bit large for my purposes. I tho ught the septagon was super cool for stylish, discreet surrounds so I've been trying to find good drivers for them and feasible EQ methods

If you used an ND91 they have so much stroke you could EQ them up in the bottom end pretty heavily. Still wish they were bigger. Going to go look at them in person tonight if I have time, might not be until this weekend. I want them free standing so if I can use my pipe idea to add a lot more volume to them, I might be able to use ND90/NS3's. This may make these work for my project. I would want to keep it simple and inexpensive which kind of goes with the idea of some of these wooden planters. I've seen the ikea bowls before, but that is a lot of custom work and expense compared to something off the shelf that can be drilled and glued.

I started with the idea of cigar boxes and progressed to finding bowls and planters like Joey found. But I think these can work, especially with a pipe stand to make up the additional volume. I envision it something like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1200px-Narzisse.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	1324210

Leave a comment:

• make_some_noise
    replied
    .02 cu ft is probably a little small for anything unless they are mids (or surrounds).... But I have an idea. If you wanted stands for the septagons... just cut a hole in the back and add a pipe to make up the difference in enclosure volume. Not much different than a bazooka bass tube or a sonotube sub. You could elbow it and take it 90 degrees and use it for a stand by attaching the pipe to a block of wood or another wooden pot below. If you used something like 3" pvc or chrome drain pipe etc.. you could use another smaller piece of PVC inside the bigger pipe to act as a port and vent it out the bottom etc... If you wanted a custom angle you could go to a muffler shop and have them bend a piece of exhaust pipe to whatever shape/angle you want within reason.

Leave a comment:

• GTPlus
    replied
    When I think about the time and effort it would take to make this, then see it is only $4, makes you realize the power of economies of scale and labor rates...

These are pretty cool, just wish that speaker frame was round.

Leave a comment:

• ScenesFromAHat
    replied
    On a serious note, I had seen those, and they are cool, just a bit large for my purposes. I thought the septagon was super cool for stylish, discreet surrounds so I've been trying to find good drivers for them and feasible EQ methods

Leave a comment:

• ScenesFromAHat
    replied
    Originally posted by ---k--- View Post
    Just incase people hadn't see this:

Ikea wood bowels.

Leave a comment:

• ---k---
    replied
    Just incase people hadn't see this:

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...pinions-sought)

Ikea wood bowls.

Using the speaker and bolts to clamp the mounting ring in place. the edge gap is consistent (and prevents wood cracking). the Bamboo holes drilled are significantly larger than the bolt diameter

Now these bowls vary in circumference a bit, but they are slightly flexible (and not fully round). Using tape, pull the sides in towards the mounting ring to achieve a more uniform bowl lip diameter and roundness. After drying this is VERY resistant to flexing

Note that the MDF rings received 10 dips in Minwax wood hardener before having the outer lip and matting surfaces painted. The glue edge was sanded smooth (no paint)

[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by ---k---; 03-16-2017, 04:01 PM. Reason: Fixed my typo...

Leave a comment:

• ScenesFromAHat
    replied
    just simmed the RS100P-4 in the septagons. They have a bump at 200-300hz then slope down pretty hard and are 9.5db down at 100Hz.

This can be mitigated a bit by applying 2 EQ points to them. First, put a 5db gain centered at 100hz, then put a -1db gain centered at 250hz. This (sort of) smooths out the response, and they can handle up to 20w before hitting xmax at 100hz. All that EQing can easily be done in an AVR. I have a Yamaha Aventage and the PEQ works for this.

This gives a F3 of 112hz.

Far before xmax would be getting hit, the sub would be taking over anyway. I think I like this sim.

Going to try the PS95 now.

Leave a comment:

• ronk
    replied
    The rs 100 should be perfect in the septagon sealed. According to pe the volume should be .04 cu ft. Maybe an aperiodic vent would provide optimal tuning.

My target has only 1 septagon left. Otherwise I will get cheap drivers to make cut little speakers.

Leave a comment:

• ronk
    replied
    ^ According to the online converter, .6 liters = .02 cu ft. 2.5 cups = .025 cu ft.

I went to Target and bought the medium melamine cannisters. According to my calculations,the volume is about .08 cu ft which would work well with tb w3 1364sa sealed. The melamine cannisters come with a wooden lids that can be used as baffle.
    Medium melamine cannisters

Leave a comment:

Working...
X