Cool find at Target

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just incase people hadn't see this:

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...pinions-sought)

Ikea wood bowls.

Using the speaker and bolts to clamp the mounting ring in place. the edge gap is consistent (and prevents wood cracking). the Bamboo holes drilled are significantly larger than the bolt diameter

Now these bowls vary in circumference a bit, but they are slightly flexible (and not fully round). Using tape, pull the sides in towards the mounting ring to achieve a more uniform bowl lip diameter and roundness. After drying this is VERY resistant to flexing

Note that the MDF rings received 10 dips in Minwax wood hardener before having the outer lip and matting surfaces painted. The glue edge was sanded smooth (no paint)

[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by ---k---; 03-16-2017, 04:01 PM. Reason: Fixed my typo...
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center
    CJD In-Khan-Neatos - A Dayton RS180/RS150/RS28 In/On Wall MTW

Comment

Originally posted by ---k--- View Post
      Just incase people hadn't see this:

Ikea wood bowels.

Comment

On a serious note, I had seen those, and they are cool, just a bit large for my purposes. I thought the septagon was super cool for stylish, discreet surrounds so I've been trying to find good drivers for them and feasible EQ methods

Comment

When I think about the time and effort it would take to make this, then see it is only $4, makes you realize the power of economies of scale and labor rates...

These are pretty cool, just wish that speaker frame was round.

Comment

.02 cu ft is probably a little small for anything unless they are mids (or surrounds).... But I have an idea. If you wanted stands for the septagons... just cut a hole in the back and add a pipe to make up the difference in enclosure volume. Not much different than a bazooka bass tube or a sonotube sub. You could elbow it and take it 90 degrees and use it for a stand by attaching the pipe to a block of wood or another wooden pot below. If you used something like 3" pvc or chrome drain pipe etc.. you could use another smaller piece of PVC inside the bigger pipe to act as a port and vent it out the bottom etc... If you wanted a custom angle you could go to a muffler shop and have them bend a piece of exhaust pipe to whatever shape/angle you want within reason.

Comment

Originally posted by ScenesFromAHat View Post
              On a serious note, I had seen those, and they are cool, just a bit large for my purposes. I tho ught the septagon was super cool for stylish, discreet surrounds so I've been trying to find good drivers for them and feasible EQ methods

If you used an ND91 they have so much stroke you could EQ them up in the bottom end pretty heavily. Still wish they were bigger. Going to go look at them in person tonight if I have time, might not be until this weekend. I want them free standing so if I can use my pipe idea to add a lot more volume to them, I might be able to use ND90/NS3's. This may make these work for my project. I would want to keep it simple and inexpensive which kind of goes with the idea of some of these wooden planters. I've seen the ikea bowls before, but that is a lot of custom work and expense compared to something off the shelf that can be drilled and glued.

I started with the idea of cigar boxes and progressed to finding bowls and planters like Joey found. But I think these can work, especially with a pipe stand to make up the additional volume. I envision it something like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1200px-Narzisse.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	1324210

Comment

A Daffodil?
                "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Yes, he's actually working on a revolutionary method of cabinet making using flower petals and stems.

I believe he just meant that shape-wise, that's what he was thinking. Long, narrow stand/port to add volume, and the bowl/driver = the blossom

Comment

Or use 2 septagon glued together with a hole drilled in the back. This should double the volume for a smoother bass response for sealed. The shape will be unique.

Comment

A problem with a very long very skinny port, is it behaves like a flute
                      "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                      "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Another thought for the septagon.... Cut an end cap for the open side out of pine... And use an ND65 in either end of it... would make the perfect desktop PC speaker. I might do just this. If you used three of them on a pole you could make an ND65 MTM..... hmmmmm.

Comment

That PS95 looks nice.

Comment

Originally posted by ScenesFromAHat View Post

I believe he just meant that shape-wise, that's what he was thinking. Long, narrow stand/port to add volume, and the bowl/driver = the blossom

Essentially. But the thought also crossed my mind to use the square pots for the base and actually make them flower looking and you could also use the pot at the bottom as pen holders.

Comment

Some great and amazing ideas coming out here. The MTM idea is killer...but do the slight angles help or hurt the design and crossover design? I am thinking just glue two cups together and suspend/mount in the open space a tweeter....
                                Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Working...
                                X