No announcement yet.

OT: A small rant on computer company/need some advice on next step

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I HOPE you only got a pair of $400 yogas, and not the $1400 ones.
    For what you need, I think you basically could have gotten a new hp (w/DVD drive?) for nearly $200. My wife's is 3-4 yrs old and works well (only replaced the battery once so far - for about $30 or so for an aftermarket that seems to be lasting longer than the oem). Good luck w/your cs issue. It's pretty rough out there nowadays (except at PE!).

Comment

I feel your pain with big company customer service. We have been battling a large home appliance company for over a month and every time we call we have to explain everything from scratch and start over again. Then you ask for / demand management or the next level up and they claim they aren't availble and set up a call back that we never get. I honestly believe their goal is to push you off until you give up.
      Projects:

transcenD: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5035-transcend
      Summits: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...75-The-Summits
      References: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-My-References
      Vintage Style 2-way: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-vintage-2-way

Comment

Originally posted by Audion View Post
        Outsourcing to other nations to "save money" was never a good idea for the most part. We get what we pay for.

Shawn
        Customers hardly benefit from outsourcing. It's done for increased surplus value of the produced commodity. We basically pay the same thing but get lesser service.
        http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

In my experience in the IT field over these last dozen or so years, I have not had such great experiences with Lenovo. Granted, this was more for enterprise-level machines, where you get to talk to an American (in Georgia). But even then, there was a lot of "the right hand doesn't understand what the left hand is doing." Eventually, the problems got resolved, but it just never felt as straightforward and efficient as Dell, who pretty much always got everything right the first time, resolved within 24 hours.
          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
          Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by saabracer23 View Post
            I can't raise a dispute with the credit card companies because I paid cash (don't use credit cards, only one for emergencies).

We'll see how it goes.

Dan
            Sorry my approach won't work for you. It's strange that the local shops couldn't take on the repair as it seemed like all you had was cosmetic damage. I've replaced laptop screens, keyboards and had one torn down to the bare plastic case - every part in a laptop is replaceable.

I understand about paying cash, not using funds that aren't on hand already. But it's cases like these were I always use credit cards in case an issue arises (and pay it off every month like I used cash).

Comment

I haven't had an issue with my lenovo but it isn't near as sturdy as the old IBM/lenovo. The IBMs were tanks and could be easily taken apart and put back together. When was the last time you used a laptop you could just pull a little mechanism and remove the optical drive or hard drive?

Comment

I'll echo Dell's excellent build quality and customer service here as well. They really took care of me when I did have a problem.

I'd also recommend Apple MacBooks. Yes, they are expensive, but MacBooks are ridiculously reliable and easily outlasts most other laptops. With how slow computer hardware has been progressing in the past few years (and for the foreseeable future because we're approaching the physical limits of silicon shrinkage), one can save more money in the long run from a MacBook and have a much superior experience using the laptop. Many people have 5+ year old MacBook Pro's that still run like a champ with good battery life, as opposed to most laptops that would have long failed or on its last legs with a battery that won't hold a charge.

Comment

Originally posted by killa
                  I haven't had an issue with my lenovo but it isn't near as sturdy as the old IBM/lenovo. The IBMs were tanks and could be easily taken apart and put back together. When was the last time you used a laptop you could just pull a little mechanism and remove the optical drive or hard drive?
                  Definitely agree on that. The old IBM Thinkpads were insanely durable AND easy to repair when the need arose.
                  Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                  Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

BTW, there's a guy on this forum by the name of Phil who builds custom PCs. I've been very happy with his work. He build me a couple of gaming PCs and a dedicated CNC PC. Not sure if Phil does laptops but I'd ask.
                    Anyway, highly recommended.
                    http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Thanks all. I didn't get the top quality ones, just $700 each. Enough to get a decent processor and SSD. I know i didn't need much to measure drivers, but I need the computer for other things as well. My wife was tired of sharing and me having all of these programs on her computer. I'll let everyone know how this round goes. If it doesn't go well I'm going to drop the computer.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by bcodemz View Post
                        I'll echo Dell's excellent build quality and customer service here as well. They really took care of me when I did have a problem.

I'd also recommend Apple MacBooks. Yes, they are expensive, but MacBooks are ridiculously reliable and easily outlasts most other laptops. With how slow computer hardware has been progressing in the past few years (and for the foreseeable future because we're approaching the physical limits of silicon shrinkage), one can save more money in the long run from a MacBook and have a much superior experience using the laptop. Many people have 5+ year old MacBook Pro's that still run like a champ with good battery life, as opposed to most laptops that would have long failed or on its last legs with a battery that won't hold a charge.
                        I credit Apple for finally making PC laptops not suck. They make beautiful and solid hardware, but at a similar price point I really don't think their reliability is significantly different, after all they're using the same parts built by the same contract manufacturers as some other higher end PC laptops.

Personally, I'm done with laptops under $500 and shoot for $700 or more, you get what you pay for. I bought a Surface Pro 3 over 2 years ago and absolutely love that thing.

In this case the trouble is the was handling damage... no laptop is immune to that and will send you into OEM repair land. Hopefully you'll get it worked out Dan.
                        Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                        Wogg Music

Comment

Working...
                        X