DC200 designs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swarrfrat View Post
    Thanks for that. Certainly looks interesting.

I'm not sure if I can cross over a DCS205 at 200 Hz though - it's already rolling off by then.
    You can't use WinISD to model the upper freq. response of a woofer. I was told on TechTalk years ago that is a "rookie mistake". It is only useful to model low end response characteristics; F3, SPL, excursion, port velocities, etc.

If you look at the DCS205 FR graph in the "specifications" link on the PE site, you will see its upper freq response. It looks to me that it may cross as high as1 KHz (e.g., ROT is 1/2 the freq. of the woofer's breakup at 2 KHz.)

To design a proper speaker, you need to put the FR graphs (in numerical form .frd, .zma files) into modeling s/w like WinPCD. WinPCD will also model the "box", low end freq. response as well as baffle step response. And it will use the upper freq. of the graph to mate to a mid (or tweeter) by allowing XO values to be entered.

Pick two of: (a) Low end extension; (b) Efficiency; and (c) Size. You can't have all thee - Hoffman's Iron law (the H, in KLH).

Comment

Actually the DCS205's naturally falling response would make for an easy and natural BSC curve with minimal to no additional components needed. I bet it would be easy to mate it to a DS90-8 and a DC28F for a simple 3-way. Cross it to the DS90 at about 450-550hz and the DS90 to the DC28F somewhere between 2-4k.

Comment

Do you want a new hobby, or do you just want a pair of nice speakers?

Comment

I built a couple bass cabinets in college (including this 6.5" carbon fiber woofer 1cuft box that went down to 30hz for low volume 5string bass - would handle a low b at acoustic guitar volumes.). But in this case, there seems to be a bit of a gap in commercial offerings right where I'm seeking something.

Comment

Working...
          X