Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AviaTrix compared to the TriTrix (LRC), is it worth spending the extra $250?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AviaTrix compared to the TriTrix (LRC), is it worth spending the extra $250?

I started building the entertainment center, new speakers this weekend, I need to finalized the speakers. Just wonder if it is worth the extra money for the AviaTrix. The goal is to build something similar to photo below, not quite as elaborate. The vertical post will use fluted trim. But the deal with my wife, no speakers, no entertainment center.

My receiver is an old Sony, I could build the TriTrix and get a new receiver.

I also plan on building a new sub using the 12" Dayton RS315HF driver (4.5 cu ft box. 2 3"x19" ports recommended by Chris from PE). For mechanical isolation, the entertainment system will be built around the sub. I plan on using a 250 watt plate from PE.

I will document and post my results.

Thanks
    Last edited by Modmark; Yesterday, 09:06 AM.

If money is tight, this design uses the Dayton ND woofers paired with a less expensive tweeter. Trusted designer.

http://www.divine-audio.com/ochocinco/

Comment

CJD is a damn crossover ninja.
      Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Hello

I assume you've read Curt's write-ups for both speakers?

I have built the Tritrix MTM (vented version) and it sounds really good, especially for the price. You won't be disappointed in the sound and the crossover is simpler than the Avaitrix.

If $ were not an issue,I'd go for the Aviatrix: better tweeter, In Australia, the Aviatrix parts were more than double the cost of the Tritrix, so the decision would be easier.

Geoff

Comment

Aviatrix hands down.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
            Hello

, the Aviatrix parts were more than double the cost of the Tritrix, so the decision would be easier.

Geoff
            Thanks for your advice. In the USA, the Aviatrix is double to cost of Tritrix. With far too many rock concerts in my youth, I am unsure if my ears could tell the difference between the two choices. A big problem for me is the clarity of dialog in movies, I turn on close captioning for many movies.

On the other hand, the wife just spent $4,000 on a new sectional sofa, another $250 for speakers is somewhat irrelevant, I hate being the frugal one!

I think the choice is clear, go with the Aviatrix, these may the last speaker I own.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
              If money is tight, this design uses the Dayton ND woofers paired with a less expensive tweeter. .
              Thanks for the suggestion. The wall unit I building will have a shelve under the TV for the receiver, center channel, etc. The 6 1/2" wide baffle for the TriTrix and Avia work quite well in this design.

Following Paul Carmody advice, building a proven design is very important to me. It gets quite confusing for myself with so many designs out there.

But once again, thank you very much...

Comment

I have built many designs, and I can't really remember one that has not sounded wonderful within its intended design and purpose. Building a reputable publishers design leaves little room for disappointment.
                Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Originally posted by Modmark View Post
                  On the other hand, the wife just spent $4,000 on a new sectional sofa,
                  And a pair if subs

Comment

Working...
                  X