Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is your high frequency hearing?

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests...ycheckhigh.php

good freq. sweep site with voice over indicating the frequency. I am 60 years old and could hear the 14K with my computer speakers cranked up a bit. They have tweeters. I'm pretty happy about that.

Well, that was sobering!

I'm 59 and I thought my hearing was OK but I can only hear 10kHz, at least, in that test.

I forget which site, but I read an article in favour of DIY speakers which said something like 'store bought speakers are expensive hearing aids', due to (in the writer's opinion) the rising treble response of most commercial speakers.

Geoff
    Last edited by Geoff Millar; 03-18-2017, 06:24 AM.

Comment

12 in one ear 14 in the other. Speakers were not very loud though. What surprises is how sudden it kicks in. I expected it to have a gradual ramp up but it seems to kick in fairly quick.

Comment

14 maybe 15.

Comment

I'm 51, and hear to 15k.

15k is quite high, I'm not sure there is much in the way of musical content above 15k. Nothing that would appeal to much of anyone but my dog.

Comment

13-14K is so high pitched, so light, so faint it really shows that while making speakers flat to 20K is our goal, we better make sure to get it right from 300-10K, as above that for many it is pretty faint or not audible, and after 13K for me is unless unless the Labrador Retriever next door enjoys music.

Comment

I'm 46- 15k in this test.

Comment

I'm 40 and with headphones on (ATH-M50X) 14k and down is strong in my left ear. Right ear 11k and down is present but not nearly as loud as my left. I've noticed the difference since I was young, but never listened to see exactly what the difference between the two was.

What is interesting is that I love a speaker with a tilted response as in the measurement below (if not tilted a little more than that).... I wonder if my left ear is actually too strong in the upper registers and together they balance out? I would think that far field listening that I'd want to crank the treble up Cerwin Vega style to make up for the lower spl in one ear... Makes me wonder how much the brain compensates for these things with the mix of both ears together.

Click image for larger version

Name:	beta-xo.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	1324417

Comment

I'm also using ATH-M50 headphones. My room is somewhat noisy with an electric heater fan blowing, I could hear the tone clearly starting at around 14K and loud at 13K.

I'll have to try separate listening with each ear...

Hmm, well one ear doesn't seem to kick in until under 12K.
                  "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

26 year old male: 18k right ear, 17k both ears. About the same as I remember from a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by ksneote View Post
                      26 year old male: 18k right ear, 17k both ears. About the same as I remember from a few years ago.
                      Practice safe sound, and keep it! I'll take the test at some other time...

Wolf
                      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I'm a DIY speaker person, but build from other's public designs, as I do not understand measurements and crossovers very well, or really know the properties of acoustics. So, for you speaker tech guys out there, if one can hear up to 13K, how much does it matter what is going on above that frequency, especially if it is rolling off?

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post

Practice safe sound, and keep it! I'll take the test at some other time...

Wolf

That's the plan! I try to avoid any loud sounds for any long period of time. Also wear some of those etymotic hifi ear plugs during live shows.

Comment

Was prettty scared to do this honestly. 18k was very audible for me, 19k not so much. Is this normal/good for an 18 year old?

Comment

As I grow older I have noticed that I preferred tweeters with rising frequency responses. This is no doubt a way to compensate my loss of hearing in the highest octave. My current favored tweeters, JBL 035Tia(used in JBL 100T3) and the waveguided Infinity Reference 162 tweeter, both have such characteristics. BTW, the Infinity Reference series tweeter (used in R162) sounds much more refined than the Primus series tweeters and are probably close to if not equivalent to the latest Revel tweeters.
                              http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...A5fLvKB7L28.97

Comment

Working...
                              X