No announcement yet.

New entertainment center/audio-rack....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ben, that TV is too small for that rack. The whole thing looks so damn disproportionate that you need to do something right away before the Final Four.
    Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
    ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
    LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
    Sonata Soundbar Project
    The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

Originally posted by hongrn View Post
      Ben, that TV is too small for that rack. The whole thing looks so damn disproportionate that you need to do something right away before the Final Four.

i'm begining to think that you just don't like smallish TV's , you said the same thing to me about mine ....
      Paper Towers
      RS180P/28F surrounds
      Boombox

Comment

Originally posted by filmslayer View Post

i'm begining to think that you just don't like smallish TV's , you said the same thing to me about mine ....
        At least I'm consistent, am I not?
        Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
        ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
        LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
        Sonata Soundbar Project
        The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

Thanks for posting that, I showed it to my wife for comparison. Now she says I being quite reasonable concern our entertainment system plans

FYI for anyone wanting to build something similar to Wolf's setup. In the electric dept at Home Depot/Lowes. they sell heavy duty metal channels. They are reasonable priced and can be cut with a miter saw and proper blade for metal. They also sell L-brackets which can be bolted to the channel. The channels could be used for the vertical supports. They also sell a smaller metal channel which could be bolted to a MDF shelve for added strength.

Comment

Originally posted by hongrn View Post

At least I'm consistent, am I not?
            absolutely !
            Paper Towers
            RS180P/28F surrounds
            Boombox

Comment

I'm a bit confused on the part where you say you bought two units to combine into one. Were the two units smaller? Less shelves?
              Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
              Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                I'm a bit confused on the part where you say you bought two units to combine into one. Were the two units smaller? Less shelves?
                I've seen and admired these same units at Wal-Mart, the welded frame is substantial.

But my recollection was that they're not nearly as tall. Maybe they make more than one model.

So Wolf, did your mod actually increase the height? Or did the height remain little changed as you just added the shelves from the 2nd unit to the first? Maybe the height increased a little as you added a shelf above what would have been the standard top shelf?

Also, you ever pop a circuit breaker?

Comment

Yes- the modification involved standoffs from the original second shelf up to the new third shelf, and the original third shelf (now 4th) up to the new fifth shelf. You can see the stained 1.75" square dowels (about 4.5" and 8.5" in length) in the Speakon photos. This did make the unit about 10" taller overall. I added 2 shelves from the second to the first, but I toyed with the idea of using the 3rd. I ended up not having enough height in between the bottom and second, so I omitted that. I also thought about using the steel frame from the last shelf to reinforce the bottom shelf, but it just didn't seem like that would work all that well in reality. So- I have a remaining shelf and 2 A-frames that I can make more furniture with! There used to be an end-table to go with this, but it looks as though it's been discontinued.

Each power strip has a 15A breaker in it. The romex is 12AWG for the circuit, and it's all that is connected. I've not had everything finished yet to have this able to run at full-bore, nor would I likely do so. Headroom is just that, and dynamics are better for it. I'm not worried about the 'source' strip tripping a breaker, but the other one could with all the amplifiers on it if I have them all to 11.

BTW- I know you mean at the box, but with this much protection out front, I doubt it'll happen unless I do something stupid.

The only reason I picked the Walmart unit (of all places) is that it was open, it was steel supported, and would allow components 3-wide. I just had to improve the structure to allow more components. I looked everywhere for something that would accommodate my needs, and this is the only store-bought unit I saw that would suffice in my search. Everything else had space for 2-components side by side or less and then some little storage areas that weren't good for much, a heater which I didn't need, or shelves that were not large enough.

I basically hid the wires by making the gaps between things small in the front and better suited to this application.

The TV, Hong, really? It's an LG 42", and is pretty good sized for viewing if you ask me. It's not small by any stretch. When I get older and can't see it, I can always upgrade.
                  What I liked about how the TV fit, is that there isn't a HUGE gap between the unit and the TV now. It would have been that way without my alterations.

Any other questions?
                  Wolf
                  "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                  "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                  "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                  http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Wolf,
                    Looks like you subscribe to my philosophy, there's no substitute for Watts. I like it. My home theater has 10k watts of Behringer power. Thank god for Class D efficiency and having a good friend who's an electrician. Did you swap out the fans in those amps? I have mine in an AV closet and you could still hear them I wound up swapping out the fans for quieter ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                      The only reason I picked the Walmart unit (of all places) is that it was open, it was steel supported, and would allow components 3-wide.
                      Oh I get it, I've looked at them and thought to myself, "these would be twice the price at any place but Wal-Mart." I had thought of getting one as a printer/scanner stand, but ended up going another way.

Comment

Originally posted by Fergastubbs View Post
                        Wolf,
                        Looks like you subscribe to my philosophy, there's no substitute for Watts. I like it. My home theater has 10k watts of Behringer power. Thank god for Class D efficiency and having a good friend who's an electrician. Did you swap out the fans in those amps? I have mine in an AV closet and you could still hear them I wound up swapping out the fans for quieter ones.
                        No- the XLS have fans that aren't noisy. I didn't mess with them. If I'm adding up power from the 4 amps, 4750W is total running all out. 2.4kW is the maximum in 120VAC at 20A draw. When you factor that I'm using 4 ohm speaker systems, it comes out to 3050W. Thing is- the 1000 is labeled as 175W, the 1500 at 250W, and the 2000 at 350W; in terms of power consumption on a continuous basis. Transient consumption I'm sure exceeds that level, as they have been 3rd party tested to actually put out rated power. By consumption ratings, I'm just over a 1kW usage, despite likely transient peaks. This is really good compared to what a Class A or Class AB would consume at these power levels.

Later,
                        Wolf
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

These days 42" is small. At least in my neck of the woods. That being said I have a 42" right now but I don't know a single person without a bigger tv. For the last 3 years we strictly watched pirated tv. With the quality rarely exceeding 720 I just never really thought about it. Since we had a child and now more guests it's gets seriously old repeatedly explaining how I watch tv. You have to admit, the amount of money in hardware vs TV does seem staggering no? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Are you talking about how much the gear cost in relation to my TV? The LED TV was about $850 after tax when I bought it about 3 years ago.

Let's see-
                            Pioneer 100 disc- FREE. My uncle gave it to me because it didn't work. I fixed it, and it's great.
                            Anthem AVM-30- No monetary value exchanged. I traded my Nephila for it. In terms of the Nephila- the tweeters were a door prize, and one woofer was free. The AVM-20 it replaced was having issues, but it was also free in trade for a speaker design I did for someone. List on these are over $3200 when they were new.
                            Behringer FBQ1000- used for a sizeable discount. Less than $100. List is $200.
                            Denon SACD universal player- $75 used. I don't know the list, but it was a SoTA player in its day.
                            Technics SH-AC500D; purchased new for $210 from K's Merchandise back around 2000.
                            Sony BDP-S550; Full-featured BD player purchased new for about $350 back in 2009.

That is all for about $700.

The amplifiers:
                            The first 1500 I bought for -20% at a tent sale.
                            The second I bought also at the next tent sale, but it was a manufacturer refurb, and about 50% off.
                            The 1000 came second hand from someone else, so it was a lesser cost.
                            The 2000 I bought -20% at another tent sale.

So- Not as much as you thought....
                            Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Working...
                            X