Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheapest soundcard for limp rig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cheapest soundcard for limp rig

    As the title states I want to start measuring drivers using Hong's guide. I have not bought a soundcard in a decade and need the cheapest best one for the job. Any advice? Please keep in mind as this is the only reason I can think of for this soundcard so no unnecessary features please to keep cost down. Thank you.

  • #2
    Does your computer not already have a sound card? No fancy features necessary to take an impedance measurement.
    Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

    Comment


    • #3
      So with my current built-in sound 3.5 out is speaker out and Mic in is speaker in?

      Comment


      • #4
        On standard built-in sound the green plug is left/right speaker out, the blue is line-in. Mic is generally amplified in for low level signals, and the plug is pink.

        If you don't have the blue plug, then just get a cheap soundcard that does, or even an external USB unit, which may be more convenient.
        Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dcibel
          On standard built-in sound the green plug is left/right speaker out, the blue is line-in. Mic is generally amplified in for low level signals, and the plug is pink. If you don't have the blue plug, then just get a cheap soundcard that does, or even an external USB unit, which may be more convenient.
          Thanks

          Comment


          • #6
            I think someone made a LIMP jig out of the Behringer UCA202, sorry don't have a link at present.
            Not the cheapest USB sound card, but clean engineering. I'm not real fond of 3.5mm jacks.

            Here's the definitve thread for USB LIMP jigs.

            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ained-limp-jig




            I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
            "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

            High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
            SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
            My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

            Tangband W6-sub

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by donradick
              I think someone made a LIMP jig out of the Behringer UCA202, sorry don't have a link at present. Not the cheapest USB sound card, but clean engineering. I'm not real fond of 3.5mm jacks. Here's the definitve thread for USB LIMP jigs. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ained-limp-jig
              Thanks

              Comment


              • #8
                I just used the built in hardware on my toshiba laptop
                Projects:

                transcenD: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5035-transcend
                Summits: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...75-The-Summits
                References: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-My-References
                Vintage Style 2-way: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-vintage-2-way

                Comment


                • #9
                  Keep in mind that a good soundcard will also allow you to obtain accurate frd files and measure frequency response as well, so it may be worth the initial investment.
                  Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

                  The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
                  ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
                  LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
                  Sonata Soundbar Project
                  The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Good point, I only used mine for impedance data
                    Projects:

                    transcenD: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5035-transcend
                    Summits: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...75-The-Summits
                    References: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-My-References
                    Vintage Style 2-way: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-vintage-2-way

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      2in-2out USB audio interfaces are great if you plan on taking acoustic measurements as well, as they have integrated XLR mic input and phantom power for the mic. I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, not the best unit out there but it gets the job done. The Behringer UCA202 listed above will also work for single ended systems, or the UMC202.
                      Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Decide first which software you'll be using, then check the hardware requirement. For ARTA, there's a list of compatible soundcards to consider. I don't know about HolmImpulse or REW, but I imagine the same applies.

                        http://artalabs.hr/requirements.htm
                        Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

                        The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
                        ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
                        LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
                        Sonata Soundbar Project
                        The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by dynamo View Post
                          I just used the built in hardware on my toshiba laptop
                          do you only have headphone out and mic in on your Toshiba ? if so can you post a pic of your rig ? i have a Toshiba Satellite and am getting ready to build a jig .
                          Paper Towers
                          RS180P/28F surrounds
                          Boombox

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I ordered the Beringer, looks like something that will possibly have other uses down the road. As far as mics are concerned, I have the umik- will that be sufficient?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by hongrn
                              Decide first which software you'll be using, then check the hardware requirement. For ARTA, there's a list of compatible soundcards to consider. I don't know about HolmImpulse or REW, but I imagine the same applies. http://artalabs.hr/requirements.htm
                              I guess I should have read that list before I ordered.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X