OT: Ripping dvds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Ripping dvds

As the title suggest I want to start ripping my dvd collection to my hard drive. What is the best format? Is there a lossless format similar to what FLAC or WAV is to cd? I want to make the best copies I can and know very little about formats other than creating an exact copy as an ISO. I would like to save a little space but if I have to to preserve quality I will use ISO format.

I have near 500 DVD and BluRay's archived myself. Two utilities:

MakeMKV - lightweight, and freely available without going to shady sights that will risk your PC security. This will get the DVD onto your drive as a single MKV format file, uncompressed. Works well for DVD and BluRay, the only pain is re-installing or locating a new temporary key ever month or two in order to keep it free.

Handbrake - This will compress your files into an m4v format, taking a DVD down to between 1-2G, and a BluRay in 1080P down to about 12G. Visual quality is fine, and it can encode multiple audio tracks so you can have a stereo down mix and keep a 5.1 audio or better for players that can use them. Any loss in visual fidelity is minor, and could probably be noticed if you do a direct comparison similar to a good mp3, but worth the disk space savings IMO.

​Both of those are legit and free utilities.
    Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
    Wogg Music

Comment

I also recommend makeMKV- works great when I used it. Doom9(I believe?) was a great forum for info when I used to rip stuff, now we just stream.

Comment

Do these have the ability retain the dolby and dts 5.1 audio tracks? I have always used dvd shrink which recompresses it to a smaller size but retains the standard dvd format.

Comment

Yup. All audio tracks retained, and subtitles if you want. I keep DTS-HD on my BluRays. Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
          Wogg Music

Comment

Forget ISO. For Blurays I use either MakeMKV or DVDFab to rip uncompressed to .mkv file. Usually I'll then use Handbrake to compress it down some, staying in .mkv. For DVD, I just rip with DVDFab to the native dvd folder structure. But you could easily rip to .mkv format if you want either with MakeMKV or DVDFab. This would make it easier for some phone/tablet operating systems to play the file if you needed that functionality.
            ~Brandon

Soma Sonus
            DriverVault

Comment

Gents, just be careful with MKV as it strips the core of the DTS-HD MA tracks, so the result file may not work should you convert it back to blu-ray format and burn onto blu-ray disk.

Comment

Originally posted by r0x View Post
                Gents, just be careful with MKV as it strips the core of the DTS-HD MA tracks, so the result file may not work should you convert it back to blu-ray format and burn onto blu-ray disk.
                ​I have several Blu Ray rips with DTS-HD tracks saved that play fine in Kodi. They were done to MKV (had to be sure to go in and select the correct source audio track in MakeMKV, not checked by default), then to m4v with Handbrake. I've never tried, and have no intention to ever put back on disk though.
                Wogg Music

Comment

Originally posted by make_some_noise View Post
                  Do these have the ability retain the dolby and dts 5.1 audio tracks? I have always used dvd shrink which recompresses it to a smaller size but retains the standard dvd format.
                  I use to use DVDshrink many years ago (2004). Then the DVDs came with extra protection that required pre-processing with another program (I forgot the name). It became increasing difficult and I eventually moved on.

What is the current status with regards to the above? Has someone upgraded DVD shrink?

Also, isn't true that DVDs are already compressed in MP4 format?Shrink use to only compress enough to fit a dual layer distribution disk on a single layer disk commonly used by PCs. And it didn't main the the DVD format (subtitles, etc.). Has that been upgraded as well?

Comment

Never tried DVD shrink, but I did use DVDfab for a while. I didn't purchase it, and it grew out of date and had more and more DVD's that didn't work. Disney in particular had a scheme that confused it bad, had chapters mixed up and inserted elsewhere, it was no good. I refused to pay for an upgrade and looked elsewhere. There have been very few disks that haven't worked with MakeMKV.

​And no, DVD's are not already compressed m4v. The VOB files on the disk are MPEG-2, which is a compression standard, but typically pretty light and not as advanced and high quality as the MPEG-4 format used in MKV / m4v and the other various container types. The subject gets really deep, and I really know only enough to do what I want. I've spent a whole lot of time scouring forums that melted my brain with this crazy info when I started years back. Once I got what worked I quit messing with it
                    Wogg Music

Comment

DVDShrink is dead. DVDFab is updated as well as anyone. Sometimes it can't rip something new so I switch to MakeMKV, and vice versa. Both are really good, but of course MakeMKV is free right now. Actually I made a mistake in my reply above, when I rip Bluray with DVDFab it rips to the native Bluray folder format. Then when I compress in Handbrake the output is a mkv. When I do this I also "burn in" the subtitles since there were a lot of compatibility problems with playback software and the Bluray subtitles. That might be better now, but still it is nice not to have to deal with any issues in the future.

rox> I assume you are referring to the ripping software MakeMKV? MKV, or .mkv, is just a file format. And by far the most versatile, as it can carry multiple audio and subtitle tracks, including the new lossless audio on Bluray.
                      ~Brandon

Soma Sonus
                      DriverVault

Comment

Originally posted by augerpro View Post
                        rox> I assume you are referring to the ripping software MakeMKV? MKV, or .mkv, is just a file format. And by far the most versatile, as it can carry multiple audio and subtitle tracks, including the new lossless audio on Bluray.
                        MKV is not just a file format. It is also a pretty big bunch of software. People tend to think the MKV is just a container and it is lossless, but it is not. I described one case when the software silently removes the data. I guess, the MakeMKV is just a wrapper for the open-source software, thus inherits all the bugs and special behaviours of the open-source software. You can try it yourself: just rip some bd with dts-hd ma track, and then try to open the result mkv file with tsmuxer. Surprise...

Comment

Again you seem to be conflating a file format (or file container) .mkv, with the ripping software MakeMKV.

If you selected the lossless track in MakeMKV, what issue are having after that?
                          ~Brandon

Soma Sonus
                          DriverVault

Comment

Originally posted by augerpro View Post
                            Again you seem to be conflating a file format (or file container) .mkv, with the ripping software MakeMKV.
                            I don't think so. How do you get the mkv file? You run the software. If the software removes some information from the source, you have no way to get correct and lossless track in your mkv file. Some players still can play the track, some do not as they require the core which was removed.

Regarding the issue, I've just mentioned the scenario twice. And I have no intentions to prove any points, I've just warned about possible consequences. Feel free to ignore my warning if you have no problems with your mkv and there are no chances you'll want to burn a bluray disk using this mkv as a source.

Wiki: "When played back on devices which do not support the Master Audio or High Resolution extension, it degrades to a "core" track which is lossy."

So if you rip the MA track and your player does not support the MA, the player will not be able to play it at all because of no core.

Comment

I'm just trying to get some clarity on your issue. The Bluray rippers are fully capable. There has been issues on the playback software end, but that is mostly corrected now (and anyway is no fault of the Bluray ripper). So if you are having problems, it is probably user error or playback software with a limited (poor) functionality.

As far as a file size difference, that has been well understood and has nothing to do with whether the audio/video has lost information or not.

When you say burn to bluray disc, do you mean converting back to the native folder format so a standalone player can play the disc?
                              ~Brandon

Soma Sonus
                              DriverVault

Comment

Working...
                              X