New DAC, will the veil be lifted?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New DAC, will the veil be lifted?

My playback system involves what I've come to learn is called a FAST (full-range and subwoofer technology) system driven by a SMSL digital amp with a Raspberry Pi serving as my player (connected to Logitech Media Server software).

The built-in audio on the Raspberry Pi isn't great, so I'm using a USB to audio adapter sourced on Amazon. It was about $10 or $15. Been using it for a couple of years now.

Yesterday I ordered a Hifiberry DAC+ Pro along with a suitable steel case.

My main reason for "upgrading" is to remove the uncertainty of the inexpensive USB to audio adapter. Interestingly, in reading the Amazon reviews of the Hifiberry, one or two mentioned upgrading from USB adapters (including a Sennheiser which you'd think would be fairly decent) and how much better things sounded.

My greatest concern over my cheapie USB adapter is that they may have some features like bass or spatial enhancement I can't get to through picoreplayer and which may be enabled by default. I wanted a DAC solution where someone with audiophile roots has ensured a flat, unadulterated output.

I play mostly MP3 files but quite a few FLACs as well.

I'm guessing I'm going to go through all this and not be able to tell much of a difference, if anything at all.

I think if there is a difference, it might be in the bass region.

Any guesses if I will hear any differences? Will it be an improvement?

I cannot believe there is a special name for a subwoofer used with a full range. Add technology and i guess its the next big thing, Specially with a cool acryonym like "FAST".

I am guessing by the title you won't care of you hear a difference or not, so if you do, just enjoy! Does not really matter what people think. Specially if they do not hear the setup.

Comment

I think FAST used to mean "Full Range and Super Tweeter". Times change, but limitations inherent in full range drivers do not.
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
        I think FAST used to mean "Full Range and Super Tweeter". Times change, but limitations inherent in full range drivers do not.
        Yep and that may be one reason I might not be able to distinguish a difference. Of course at fifty years of age, my hearing falls off a cliff at 15k and above. In other words, my age in and of itself could be another reason I don't hear a difference.

Another reason may be just that I'm not very open to the possibility. FLAC files of modern recordings sound amazing to me, I cannot imagine what is in the recordings that I could be missing.

Comment

I think we need more info first......

Just how many veils are there to begin with??

Comment

Originally posted by mzisserson View Post
            I cannot believe there is a special name for a subwoofer used with a full range. Add technology and i guess its the next big thing, Specially with a cool acryonym like "FAST".

I am guessing by the title you won't care of you hear a difference or not, so if you do, just enjoy! Does not really matter what people think. Specially if they do not hear the setup.
            FAST: I was a bit surprised, too. In all fairness, I'd say you'd have to credit Bose w/ creating the category.

Mine my be more appropriately called FARTS, for Full (Almost) Range w/ Temperamental Subwoofer. I can't hear beyond 15k and for all I know the speakers aren't outputting anything up there anyhow. And the subwoofer is a challenge to integrate into the room.

I would care if I could hear a difference, for sure. Again I'm mostly trying to remove uncertainty. That is, before making any more changes to my system, I think I've got to make sure my source can't get any better (within reason).

After the DAC my upgrades would likely be dual subs, new satellites with dual drivers (improved power handling), and then more watts (was evening thinking a used Threshold STASIS, I've always like them). But the inanity of driving a big Threshold amp w/ a $10 USB sound adapter isn't completely lost on me.

Comment

Originally posted by kevintomb View Post
              I think we need more info first......

Just how many veils are there to begin with??
              Just one, but it is made from velour. And not the fancy Italian stuff, we're talking Turkish velour.

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post
                Mine my be more appropriately called FARTS, for Full (Almost) Range w/ Temperamental Subwoofer.
                LOL... I'm pretty sure that's applicable to Bose as well.
                Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                Wogg Music

Comment

IIRC FAST stands for Fullrange and Subwoofer Technology or Fullrange Augmented with Subwoofer Technology. Guess they had to throw in Technology to make it a word.

Comment

Originally posted by ernperkins View Post
                    IIRC FAST stands for Fullrange and Subwoofer Technology or Fullrange Augmented with Subwoofer Technology. Guess they had to throw in Technology to make it a word.
                    I guess we need an acronym for everything now.

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post

FAST: I was a bit surprised, too. In all fairness, I'd say you'd have to credit Bose w/ creating the category.

Mine my be more appropriately called FARTS, for Full (Almost) Range w/ Temperamental Subwoofer. I can't hear beyond 15k and for all I know the speakers aren't outputting anything up there anyhow. And the subwoofer is a challenge to integrate into the room.

I would care if I could hear a difference, for sure. Again I'm mostly trying to remove uncertainty. That is, before making any more changes to my system, I think I've got to make sure my source can't get any better (within reason).

After the DAC my upgrades would likely be dual subs, new satellites with dual drivers (improved power handling), and then more watts (was evening thinking a used Threshold STASIS, I've always like them). But the inanity of driving a big Threshold amp w/ a $10 USB sound adapter isn't completely lost on me.
                      Lol, that made me laugh. Thanks.

You would be suprised, sometimes a little improvement can bring a lot of satisfaction so who knows!

Comment

Originally posted by ernperkins View Post

I consider it a lame acronym for what is essentially a 1.5 way speaker.

Comment

I recently upgraded several systems:
                          Topping TP32EX sourced from a Asus Xonar SPDIF, then moved to a RasPi3 with Digi+ output.
                          FXAudio D802 now on the computer via SPDIF

I"m really liking both setups. There may be a more "something" when you don't use analog feeds.
                          Could just be "line of sight" bias though. <shrug>

On better dacs, I usually feel like there is more space, more detail, cleaner.

How do you like the HifBerry?
                          The big mod that people talk about is a separate 5V power supply for the dac.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by make_some_noise View Post

I consider it a lame acronym for what is essentially a 1.5 way speaker.
                            Oh my God you just nailed it:

LAME = Lows And Midrange Exclusively!

Next time someone starts going on about FAST, you can tell them about LAME.

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
                              How do you like the HifBerry?
                              The big mod that people talk about is a separate 5V power supply for the dac.
                              It won't be here until tomorrow.

I'm sure I'll be back tomorrow night, describing how my "Sounds of the Rainforest" tracks are now completely transformative, even causing the temperature and humidify in my living room to increase relative to the rest of my house whenever played through the new DAC.

Comment

Working...
                              X