Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mundorf M-Resist Supreme Vs Jantzen MOX

HI all

do you compared these two type of resistors ?
    what are your opinions about technical but first of all sound diffrences bteween them?
    i hopo someone has tried them.

thank you

AFAIK, Jantzen MOX aren't available state-side. We can get Lynk, Mills, and Endura brands, and maybe the green Mundorfs.

The M-Resist Supreme is really nothing different than a Tru-Ohm, Ohmite, or Dale ceramic power resistor of your average surplus shop. They are inherently non-inductive due to construction techniques, and take power well.

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

ok, but the sound differences between them ?

m-resistis vs jantzen mox ?

Comment

none you could hear

Comment

Originally posted by chris roemer View Post
          none i could hear
          fify...

Different resistor types have different manufacturing processes, how they are trimmed, electro-mechanical properties, terminations and the composition of those terminations. There may be a greater sonic difference among types vs. NI wirewound to NI wirewound. They are very subtle, and far harder to detect than capacitors. You can use this as an excuse to throw in a $0.10 resistor, and sleep well, but typically it is like any other component where better quality has its merits, then there is just stupidity where some companies are just trying to take your money for buying into "audiophoolia".

Where all those lines exisit are up to you. I typically use the mills MRA12's, or industral non-inductive counterparts from Digi-Key when they will take some heat. They take a beating, have no real color or sonic signature (compared to the likes of the MoX), show up well matched every time and have very little change over temperature. Does not mean I am right, just a preference from tinkering over the years.

Comment

Then there are the Duelund graphite based resistors that look like cinnamon sticks. I installed some for a customer as part of a very expensive Polk SRS/SDA xover upgrade. I agree with Mike's comments although there's a good sized debate over at DIY audio about the sonic signature of resistors.
            Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

Comment

Joachim gerhard recommends welwyn w20 resistors for budget. I like lynk and mills but they most definitely do not sound the same. I refuse to use the dayton ones anymore, the leads break and they sound harsh to me. In fact it was my experience with them that pushed me to try alternatives.

The duelunds are also fragile but I don't remember them being that much better than a lynx to justify cost.

Comment

I like the look of the Arcol, Dale, and Mills panel-mount aluminum resistors, but more often than not, use Xicon/Bennic sandcast most. I do have a small assortment of the Dayton sandcast as well. I do have some TruOhm, Ohmite, Lynk, Eagle, and Mills resistors too.

I've toyed with trying the Caddocks, but unless I do the 'resistor test' to finish off the 3 sectors of parts, I might not even bother.

I've been content with most any resistor,
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wushuliu View Post
                  I refuse to use the dayton ones anymore, the leads break and they sound harsh to me.
                  I shy away from using them on tweeters for this reason. Mids and Zobels I am not convinced they are audible. Though, man, they are fragile! The worst is simply bending the leads de-laminates the plating on more of them than not. The Mills MRA5's are available and affordable (~$2/ea).

They are still subject to overseas quality issues. I did just get in sone new Dayton Inductors. Seem good enough and all measured within 2% of value....though a nice big "Made in China" is on the label.

Comment

I use only Mills resistors for two reasons, their 12-watt rating and their really rugged all around build. I believe they "sound" just fine, but I don't believe other resistors "sound" less fine, much less bad.
                    Paul

Comment

All this kind of reminds me of how Grey Goose vodka was featured in HBO's "The Sopranos" and people figured that it's a premium vodka, which it isn't.

The same (marketing) company imports Jagermeister... which was just an old man's liqueur in Germany until it was marketed to tweens and teenagers.

By the way, Stella Artois is considered swill in Euro.

Click image for larger version

Name:	draper_reaction_1310483412100.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	1326916

Shawn

Comment

Stella is considered swill locally as well, its for pompous tools who wouldn't know a good beverage, but it comes in a fancy glass so...My friends who work at the bar sometimes get requests for a cheap draft in a Stella glass, and I did once hear a story about how a Bohemian keg (the local cheap stuff) was connected to the Stella tap and no one noticed. I guess that may be the case with fancy resistors, if they come in nicer packaging then you get the pompous snobbery cred. I just saw a cutaway image of a top of the line KEF speaker, very nice cabinet construction and damping, and a handful of sand cast resistors inside.

Grey Goose isn't bad, but its overrated. We have a local distillery called "Lucky Bastard" that makes much nicer vodka IMO and at a much lower price. https://luckybastard.ca/
                        "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away." -Tom Waits

Comment

The Achrohmic mil spec resistors offered by a familiar Canadian outlet are really nice. Big, tough leads, black body for excellent heat shedding, and 16W dissipation rating. Very low inductance and noise.

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post
                            The Achrohmic mil spec resistors offered by a familiar Canadian outlet are really nice. Big, tough leads, black body for excellent heat shedding, and 16W dissipation rating. Very low inductance and noise.
                            The achrohmic are nice, and will hold their resistance right up to 185 deg C, and their 16W rating is a continuous power test for 30min. For short duration they are rated at 112W for 5 seconds.

I have to ask, how is noise even a consideration for a crossover resistor? The circuit is of relatively low impedance electrically, so low noise by design. I could see low noise being important in a highly sensitive circuit like a phono preamp, but not a speaker crossover.
                            "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away." -Tom Waits

Comment

what do you think about these ?
                              http://www.jantzen-audio.com/mox-resistors

Comment

Working...
                              X