Custom Ports

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Ports

Hey. I'm back to building a few speakers, and thought I would try something different. I thought hey? i have a 3d printer. I can custom print my ports to my own specs. Anyone done this?
    On the cheap diy. That is my motto - www.hifiposse.com

You could, but except for flanges, plain old PVC pipe or plastic electrical conduit work just as well. Just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyhands View Post
      ... i have a 3d printer. I can custom print my ports to my own specs. Anyone done this?
      Don't know; I thought the Triangular Ports were nice looking and efficient use of corner space. ( similar to a Carvin Bass cabs )

"Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
      "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Perfect port?
        So I'm reading the Harman paper on ports, here is a link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u18zq95ko92hlra/Harman%20Port%20Study.pdf?dl=0. They test various theories regarding flare radius, power compression, harmonic distortion, surface roughness, etc. They come up with a Normalized Flare Radius relating the flare radius to the port length: NFR = port length/ 2(flare radius), 0 < NFR < 1 where 0 is a straight pipe and 1 is a full flare. After a number of tests of the previously mentioned properties,

Comment

It might be nice to be able to make something between a circular tube and a rectangle. You see some oval shaped ports on commercial gear such can look nice. Or maybe even just a rounded rectangle. Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
          Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Working...
          X