G35 Audio Upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G35 Audio Upgrade

New ride...new project! I picked up my new car (07 G35) a couple of weekends ago and it had a few issues to take care of. First up was the auto up feature wasn't working properly in the drivers door, also the drivers door speaker was blown, both problems require that door panel to come off. We had some beautiful weather yesterday so that's where I started. The window problem was when you'd hit the auto up the window would go up to the top then drop down about 4". Basically it lost its end point setting. there's a reset button on the motor that has to be pushed to reset the end point on the up/down positions. I did the procedure and problem one fixed ! Now on to the fun stuff...blown speaker replacement. Being audio people, factory junk just wont do, ya know. I went to my arsenal of speakers and brought out a pair of the Volvo Dynaudio 6's and the 8's. The 6's dropped right in and didn't sound to bad, but the big ol' 8's were staring me down. Yup you guessed it, more bass up front is never a bad thing!! I grabbed the jig saw, made a template, and got to cutting. I needed a bit of depth extension so I cut a couple 1/2" spacers. I then applied some damping mat to the inside and outside areas where the woofers were mounted. Right now they are just running of the head unit (Kenwood), but once the SoundStream 604 gets installed these things are gonna be one heck of a solid foundation to the front stage in this car. Now if I can make the neo8's fit in the kicks.... hummm?
    A mains
    The Ventures
    Open Invit8tions
    RSR
    Sound Troopers
    Acorns
    DGBG's
    The Monuments

Great car! I loved my Z.
    ~Brandon

Soma Sonus
    DriverVault

Comment

Handling is very impressive. It sticks to the road., even upside down. Great car.
      craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Yeah, I'm enjoying it, really nice car. Looking to personalize it a bit this year, then give it some power next year.
        A mains
        The Ventures
        Open Invit8tions
        RSR
        Sound Troopers
        Acorns
        DGBG's
        The Monuments

Comment

Avante Garde has great wheels, I had the M310's on mine. Also highly recommend Berk Technologies exhaust. Sounded fantastic.

~Brandon

Soma Sonus
          DriverVault

Comment

^Nice Z! I was literally about to buy the Nissan Z, same color and everything, but due to our winters, and the fact that my summer vehicle is a sports motorcycle, I opted for a Subaru STI instead. As a typical audiophile, the first thing I changed was the sound system in it :P

Always loved the sound of the VQ35 and VQ37 engines growing up...

Comment

Nice! I'm going for the BBS LM replicas in the gold/ polished lip style wheels. The thing that really disappointed me about the Z cars is the frickin door handles. It's like they designed a beautiful car and forgot to put door handles on it, then just slapped those on there. Boo to Nissan for that!! You defiantly picked the right color, Brandon.
              A mains
              The Ventures
              Open Invit8tions
              RSR
              Sound Troopers
              Acorns
              DGBG's
              The Monuments

Comment

Gold with silver lip, kind of retro?
                John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Always wanted a set
                  A mains
                  The Ventures
                  Open Invit8tions
                  RSR
                  Sound Troopers
                  Acorns
                  DGBG's
                  The Monuments

Comment

Nice car!
                    I've wanted one, and my wife absolutely loves it, but I can't realistically fit into one.
                    I've got an Altima with the 3.5 liter VQ engine, it's a 2003 with 125k miles on it and it still brings a smile to my face when I push the go petal! That's a good engine.
                    You're brave IMO for tackling auto audio... I have the worst luck with it. :(

TomZ
                    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                      Nice car!
                      I've wanted one, and my wife absolutely loves it, but I can't realistically fit into one.
                      I've got an Altima with the 3.5 liter VQ engine, it's a 2003 with 125k miles on it and it still brings a smile to my face when I push the go petal! That's a good engine.
                      You're brave IMO for tackling auto audio... I have the worst luck with it. :(

TomZ
                      Tom, I not quite as tall as you but one of my sons is a few inches taller than me (and 60 pounds heavier). And I hate driving looking through the windshield tint. That killed the G35/37 aspirations and I went back to the Maxima. The Nissan mid 2000's 3.5L was the class leader by far (though others have caught up). But the Max trans/3.5L combo is awesome. Recently put new struts and brakes and did bearings and Continental Extreme Contact DWS06s last Saturday. Think I'll be "testing" the package this coming weekend.

One thing, lots of reports of trans failures on the Max because the 3.5L is two strong for it so be gentle.

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
                        Tom, I not quite as tall as you but one of my sons is a few inches taller than me (and 60 pounds heavier). And I hate driving looking through the windshield tint. That killed the G35/37 aspirations and I went back to the Maxima. The Nissan mid 2000's 3.5L was the class leader by far (though others have caught up). But the Max trans/3.5L combo is awesome. Recently put new struts and brakes and did bearings and Continental Extreme Contact DWS06s last Saturday. Think I'll be "testing" the package this coming weekend.

One thing, lots of reports of trans failures on the Max because the 3.5L is two strong for it so be gentle.
                        I believe it. When I blip the throttle on my Altima, Instant torque rush. No torque management on that at all. I've spun the tires at a green light 20 times more in my 3.5 Altima than I ever did in my Corvette.

I really wanted the Maxima when I got the Altima, but not enough $$$ at the time. They sold that with a 5 speed manual...

Somehow, my wife's 2013 Accord doesn't have the tint at the top. It's nice to not have everybody look like a smurf when you look out!

TomZ
                        *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Its A Great Car!!

Comment

Tommy- Eric ain't 'short' by a long stretch either. I'm sure he's about 6' or just over.

Since we're talking Zs...
                            I always loved the look of the 300Z!

Later,
                            Wolf
                            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I'm right at 6', sometimes a bit shorter depending on the time of day 😀 And it's a nice fit, any taller and it would be getting to be a tight fit. I think Tom a bigger guy than me, so I could see it not being a comfortable option.
                              Steve, thanks for reasoning with me on the other G, I passed on it, and found this one that Sunday. Adam and I drove to St. Louis the next weekend and I bought it. Actually got it for the same price as what I was getting that other one for.
                              A mains
                              The Ventures
                              Open Invit8tions
                              RSR
                              Sound Troopers
                              Acorns
                              DGBG's
                              The Monuments

Comment

Working...
                              X