Orbital Sander Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orbital Sander Issue

I have a Makita orbital sander. It worked great for a long time. Now it won't hold the sand paper disk. I replaced the pad on the sander that has the hook and loop/velcro-like material the sanding disk attaches to. That didn't help. I don't know that it could be anything else, but figured I'd check to see if anyone else has had this problem...
    Thanks,
    Mike
    "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
    My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

The problem may be related to the abrasive pads that you're using.

I had a similar problem with a Dewalt ROS, seems the Mirka Abranet disks were thin enough so the hooks on the ROS pad stood too tall and were sanded off, so there was nothing for the disk loops to grab on to.

Comment

Might be worth trying another new pad and being careful of the sanding disks I buy...
      Thanks!
      Bismarck, North Dakota

Comment

Use a magnifying glass to check the hooks on your existing pads.

Comment

Just went through this in my DeWalt. Itbwas the sansing discs I was using

Comment

Originally posted by mzisserson View Post
            Just went through this in my DeWalt. Itbwas the sansing discs I was using

What kind were they?
            Bismarck, North Dakota

Comment

Check out Mirka Pad Protectors if using Abranet disks. I bought mine from Homestead Finishing, but on a quick glance, they don't appear to be listed anymore.
              Bill Schneider
              -+-+-+-+-
              One word = one milli-picture

Comment

Originally posted by mikejennens View Post

What kind were they?
                Believe it or not, Freud. I thought it may be one bad disc, but a couple of different grits worked for a while then would lose their grasp. I cleaned the sander surface and back of the disc with a brush and it helped for a short time.

Comment

I use frued with my Bosch orbital and they stick great.

Dan

Comment

I had the same trouble with my Mikita ROS. I used a heat gun to remove the hook layer from the sanding
                    pad and now use PSA sanding discs with ok results.

Comment

'Check out Mirka Pad Protectors if using Abranet disks. I bought mine from Homestead Finishing, but on a quick glance, they don't appear to be listed a

Thanks for bring those up Bill, I forgot to. I think I've gotten some at both woodcraft and amazoo.

Comment

I have this issue with my Makita orbital. Replaced the pad, used several different mfg's discs, nothing helped. The discs just don't stick after a few uses (I think the pad gets dusty and interferes with the hook and loop mechanism).

Now I spray the back of the hook and loop pads with Locktite middle weight spray adhesive (I'm sure other mfg's product work too). I spray the back of the disc and stick it to the pad. It's great. The discs stick until worn out, they peel right off and no residue is left on the pad itself. I don't see a need to ever change this approach.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies!

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
                          I have this issue with my Makita orbital. Replaced the pad, used several different mfg's discs, nothing helped. The discs just don't stick after a few uses (I think the pad gets dusty and interferes with the hook and loop mechanism).

Now I spray the back of the hook and loop pads with Locktite middle weight spray adhesive (I'm sure other mfg's product work too). I spray the back of the disc and stick it to the pad. It's great. The discs stick until worn out, they peel right off and no residue is left on the pad itself. I don't see a need to ever change this approach.

That looks less expensive than buying a new sander!
                          Thanks
                          Bismarck, North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                          X