Linaeum Tweeters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linaeum Tweeters

I no they have king of a cult following, but are the old Linaeum tweeters any good and worth playing around with in a modern design?

The finest tweeter I have ever heard! Destroys Raal, and Tranducer labs, Scan 9900, you name it!!

Comment

I actually have several pair in the radio shack speakers that used to serve as my 5.1 system with a couple subs. I can't say I understand the fuss, they're ok I guess. Every couple years a big deal is made out of a cheap speaker that sounds ok, and this was that speaker from 15 years ago or so.

Comment

If I recall correctly there was a thread a while back where someone built a DIY speaker using the linaeum, thought it was Ok, then changed to a Fountek ribbon and never looked back.

I'd say if you already have them and want to use them you've nothing to loose. If you're looking to seek them out, there's plenty of modern tweeters that offer better performance and are readily available.
        Last edited by dcibel; 04-20-2017, 12:33 PM.
        "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away." -Tom Waits

Comment

That was me, my Monument build. They sound good, that's about it. I think they'll be great for some surround sound rears.
          A mains
          The Ventures
          Open Invit8tions
          RSR
          Sound Troopers
          Acorns
          DGBG's
          The Monuments

Comment

The radio shack version has the mylar (plastic) film, while I read that the more expensive version in a Linaeum had a silk film. I have a pair with the Von Wormer mod and the Seas MP14RCY/P woofer (actually more mid driver). The bass is a bit weak but I am not a bass freak. The treble can be very natural sounding with cymbals and hats sounding spot on. However, it can be phasey in the near field as my LX5II is my computer speaker with a NAD amplifier. I might see how my tangband full ranger sounds as a computer speaker.

The treble is nice and accurate and with the SEAS woofer, the bass is tight. I also read that people have used the Dayton DC130 as a replacement woofer for the stock woofer. The stock woofer is nothing to get excited about, but the tweeter can sound good in the right applications.

Comment

WRT playing around, they fit perfectly on top of the B652s. With a woofer swap this could be a cool 3 way, using the B652 tweeter as a super tweeter. I've got the parts except for a replacement woofer.
              John H

SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                WRT playing around, they fit perfectly on top of the B652s. With a woofer swap this could be a cool 3 way, using the B652 tweeter as a super tweeter. I've got the parts except for a replacement woofer.
                Along the same line.

Funny thing, after being able to play around with the xt25 tweeters, I realized my old ears can hear above ~12k and up. Lot more up there than what the smooth Linaeums were telling me (build link in 2nd post). Anyway, other than turning the Linaeum ribbons to where their null faces the sides, I'd wondered how the speaker would sound with the Dayton PTmini-6 planar tweeter mounted upright, dead center in the void the figure 8 pattern leaves between the ribbons,and crossed over really high.
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

I will have a pair at Iowa this coming October - if anyone is interested. I think I can milk these little guys. I have done more with less.
                  Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by dld View Post
                    The finest tweeter I have ever heard! Destroys Raal, and Tranducer labs, Scan 9900, you name it!!
                    I wouldn't go that far.

I've heard and used the Lineaums before and own the Raals and have experience with several you named (not the Tansducer Labs tweeter yet). They aren't close to RAAL ribbons and I'd say even the Fountek ribbons walk on them. (Specifcally, the Neo X2.0).

Comment

I'd like to hear the real ESS Heil AMT. PE carried it at one time and I think you can still get them for about $350 each.
                      "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

Working...
                      X