X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gowa
    started a topic Bose Headphones

Bose Headphones

Bose Corp spies on its wireless headphone customers by using an app that tracks the music, podcasts and other audio they listen to, and violates their privacy rights by selling the information without permission, a lawsuit charged.

• dcibel
    replied
    The hipsters at the record store will know...

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    The issue was clarified in a piece on NBC news and others today. The headphones don't collect or send any information, a smart phone or other audio streaming device you're using them with does. The complaint isn't so much that they collect data about what you're listening to, but that Bose doesn't tell you up front that they do. The moral is that if you don't want anyone to know what your choice is in music stick with vinyl.

Leave a comment:

• jclin4
    replied
    My employer has a data center there...in fact we refer to it as Ashburn.
    Originally posted by neildavis
    Loudoun County is known for data centers and wine. I'm still trying to understand the connection between the two.
    Perhaps the connection is neither are mining or a/c manufacturing.

Leave a comment:

• neildavis
    replied
    Originally posted by mattk View Post
    I guess that is also why AOL had a big office in Ashburn...
    Yep--MAE East started o​ut in Tyson Corner and Merrifield areas then moved out to Ashburn. I worked at Raytheon when we took over 4 of the AOL buildings at Dulles. We would run speedtest and get Ping times around 4ms and snicker when the speedtest meter went to the end of the gauge.

There are still a lot of properties being sold for data centers in that area. Loudoun County is known for data centers and wine. I'm still trying to understand the connection between the two.

Leave a comment:

• mattk
    replied
    Originally posted by neildavis View Post

​...that are powered by coal, believe it or not!

Here is a list of the top 6 US data centers. Two of them are in Ashburn Virginia in Loudoun County, about 30 miles from DC. Loudoun County flourished because it was near MAE East--a major Internet Exchange Point and because of good prices on electricity. The electricity is mostly generated at the coal-fired Mount Storm Power Plant in West Virginia. We have a cabin not too far from the power plant, and we are about 10 miles from Ashburn, so we know this stuff...
    I guess that is also why AOL had a big office in Ashburn. I'm also in the DC area, in MOCO, but work in Arlington.

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
    You don't need range. You are connected via BT.
    You need a transmitter, and you need a receiver capable of receiving the transmissions. If the only connection is BT between the amp/AVR/whatever and the phones that's a closed loop that no one else can make use of, unless they've got a BT receiver outside your home. It's a different story if the amp/AVR/whatever is also connected to the net.
    Much ado about nothing. We've had to deal with snooping since the very first telephone operator listened in on conversations, and party lines were the source of the daily load of gossip. Did you ever wonder what Alexander Graham Bell really wanted when he said "Mr. Watson—Come here—I want to see you" ? Enquiring minds want to know.

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    No highs, no lows; no privacy, that's Bose!

Leave a comment:

• isaeagle4031
    replied
    Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
    Bluetooth lacks the necessary range. All sorts of data can and is collected by various devices, but the device needs a connection to the net, and you control that, by which devices you allow access to your wi-fi router.
    You don't need range. You are connected via BT. The software necessary to run the device effectively "listens in" to your requests, sites, etc.

Leave a comment:

• neildavis
    replied
    Originally posted by mattk View Post
    Their responses are handled by massive computing farms....
    ​...that are powered by coal, believe it or not!

Here is a list of the top 6 US data centers. Two of them are in Ashburn Virginia in Loudoun County, about 30 miles from DC. Loudoun County flourished because it was near MAE East--a major Internet Exchange Point and because of good prices on electricity. The electricity is mostly generated at the coal-fired Mount Storm Power Plant in West Virginia. We have a cabin not too far from the power plant, and we are about 10 miles from Ashburn, so we know this stuff...

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
    How? Bluetooth connectivity.
    Bluetooth lacks the necessary range. All sorts of data can and is collected by various devices, but the device needs a connection to the net, and you control that, by which devices you allow access to your wi-fi router.

Leave a comment:

• mattk
    replied
    And Amazon's Alexa and Google's Home both listen constantly. Their responses are handled by massive computing farms, which are capable of recording everything you say in their presence.

Leave a comment:

• isaeagle4031
    replied
    How? Bluetooth connectivity. The app is necessary to run the headphones, ear buds, etc. The software listens in, even to conversations, and ads are tailored to your browsing history, preferences, etc.

Yes, it does sound like conspiracy, yet all of the tech is already in place. It's not really new either. Sites have been doing this for some time. It's simply becoming more prevalent now.

Leave a comment:

• Geoff Millar
    replied
    How could they do this?

Unfortunately there are many companies which do this; we often get bombarded with emails or call centre types trying to sell something and we think 'how on earth did they know that..'

The only Bose thing we have is the stereo in our old car (2002), presumably too old to be fiddled with in this way?

They wouldn't get much out of me anyway, only a huge playlist of Hendrix.

Geoff

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    I think they confused Bose headphones with Sanyo microwave ovens.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X