Box Bracing...again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Box Bracing...again

Woodworking newbie building 3cu ft ported box with 2 10in woofs. Do I 'just' connect all sides with 1in doweling? Or would laying 'strips' connectingall corners help? I don't want to 'feel' box vibrate.....Concerned over nothing....???

Originally posted by stargate69 View Post
    ... Do I 'just' connect all sides with 1in doweling?...
    Cross dowel works. So does "window brace"

"Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

I just use scraps for internal bracing, the unused runoff from table saw cuts are often the right size, so just rip them down to strips and use that for bracing. Cross braces are much more important than corners.
      Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
        I Cross braces are much more important than corners.
        +1, the corners are the strongest part of the cab, so they don't need braces. A brace connecting the centers of opposite panels has the same structural effect as doubling the panel thickness. A matrix of braces spaced no more than 8 inches apart makes for a cab that's as solid as granite.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by stargate69 View Post
          Woodworking newbie building 3cu ft ported box with 2 10in woofs. Do I 'just' connect all sides with 1in doweling? Or would laying 'strips' connectingall corners help? I don't want to 'feel' box vibrate.....Concerned over nothing....???
          Certainly not concerned over nothing. As others here said, mid-panel is the place for braces, maybe off-center slightly to stagger the panel resonances that remain. Almost any bracing is much better than none, and separates a good speaker from an exceptional speaker.
          Francis

Comment

Working...
          X