Tiny wrinkles in conductor on B-G ribbons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny wrinkles in conductor on B-G ribbons

I have a pair of Bohlender Graebener RD 50s for sale and upon inspection I noticed what I thought were 4 tiny cracks in the aluminum conductors on the ribbons, upon closer inspection with a handheld microscope they appear to be tiny wrinkles. I don't want unhappy buyers and was wondering if anyone has seen this before. Wrinkles are only on one speaker, I measured resistance and both were identical, I hooked them up to play some music with a cap for protection of course and both played fine, sounded fine and had equal output. Any insight or opinions would be welcome.

Bump

Comment

I have the same drivers, I'll see if I can spot anything on them. Precisely where did you see them?

Comment

Skatz, they are on the aluminum conductors on the ribbon itself 2 about 4 inches up from the bottom, 2 about 8 inches down from the top.

Comment

Thanks I will look.

Comment

Sorry it took so long, those were in storage in poor light, so it took me a while to get to them. I cannot see any such flaws on mine.
            Just by accident, I ran across an article by Tom Perazella in AudioXpress about a cabinet he built for some RD 75s. In this he mentions seeing "a ripple" in some of the ribbon conductors. He mentioned it to Rudi, who was the dealer back then (Rudi Blondia), and returned his set for another pair. Maybe that is what you are seeing. He was having some rough sounds at times, and didn't have it after the exchange, but who knows if that was the cause. I never heard anything like that from mine.
            Good luck with yours.
            I still want to rebuild mine with a smaller baffle, maybe I can this year.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
              X