Infinity 1252w box size question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infinity 1252w box size question.

I was wanting to build a suitable box for some Infinity 1252w subwoofers for use (very likely) indoors.

​As I was looking at the suggested box size (ported), the infinity manual says: 2.0 cubic feet , 4" port , 12.25" long. That seems doable, but as I was playing around with some online box designing program..... I got different numbers.

Would anyone give me suggestions on size box and port length??

​Infinity 1252w:

Originally posted by rebelliondog206 View Post
    as I was playing around with some online box designing program..... I got different numbers.
    That's because there is no one 'perfect' box size or tuning. You use modeling software to compare the results of various box sizes and tunings, using the one that gives you the desired combination of response and cabinet size. For that reason no one can specifically answer your question, as you don't state what your response goals are or how it will be used. Music? HT? Morse Code? In a car? In a small room? In a large room? Outdoors? It all matters.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by rebelliondog206 View Post
      ...Would anyone give me suggestions on size box and port length??...
      It's a bit like adjusting a vehicle's air shocks and setting the ride - a performance envelope, with compromises
      "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
      "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

I would NOT put it in THAT recommended vented box. That box will "boom" at 50Hz. With an "unboosted" amp., a 2cf box, sealed and stuffed, should work well indoors for music, reaching into the upper 30s (a 200w amp is about right). If you feel the NEED to be flat to 30Hz (say, for movies), then use +6dB of boost at 30Hz (but then it will exceed Xmax around 50w). A better compromise would be only +3dB of boost at 30Hz, where it can take 100w.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Apologies for not being somewhat clearer.......question is how to keep it musical mostly.

​**New question....using this subwoofer (instead of spending to buy others, I already have these).....

How would you mount it / use it (personal opinions on size box and port size) for use in a medium size room?

Comment

An Infinity pdf for that unit lists a sealed cab ( like Chris posted )
            V= 1.25 ft (35.40 liters)
            "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
              An Infinity pdf for that unit lists a sealed cab ( like Chris posted )
              V= 1.25 ft (35.40 liters)
              That's for car audio duty. It's likely best to go a little bigger for home audio use.
              Brian Steele
              www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Yup - found that driver in an Old Crutchfield cat Car Woofer section.
                A 1.25 cu ft box is a Qtc a little over .9
                A 3 cu ft box is around Qtc = .707
                Last edited by Sydney; 04-29-2017, 01:14 PM.

Comment

lots of examples of people using them in 1-1.5ft3 sealed enclosures over on avs albeit mostly for near field use. I have a pair in ~3ft3, works v nicely with appropriate use of DSP.

Comment

Thank you to all those who replied.....I have a plan now.

Comment

Working...
                    X