Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amplifier: Power Quantity vs Quality vs Features Balance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Zephyr View Post
    Keenly interested in this topic as I wait for my Statements II parts to be delivered. I had an unusual experience along these lines.

    I had built a pair of Stenatorians, powered by a stand alone Emotiva preamp/dac pushing a new Crown XLS 1000. Balanced inputs. I was totally underwhelmed by them, reading the glowing reviews my experience was totally different. I decided to give them to my daughter, figuring that since she listened exclusively to MP3, they would be good enough. Since she had no gear, I also included an old Yamaha integrated, maybe 60 watts per channel. I delivered them to her little place in Austin, she shoved them against the wall, and set about 5 feet apart, ie., in the only space she had that they would fit. Hooked up her computer from a headphone out into RCA jacks, turned it on and WOW! They sounded great, dynamic, punchy....all the things I had never been able to achieve regardless of placement, room, toe in,reversing polarity etc. Tried them using the different programs on the Yamana, changed the sound of course, but basically everything sounded good.

    Well, at this point with her dancing around the room, loving her new speakers, there was no going back. Now I need to somehow figure out where the weak link is. I suspect the Emotiva.....

    That is the challenging thing about this hobby, its like we are trying to hit a moving target from atop another moving platform.

    Comment


    • #47
      I was looking into amplifiers about 18 months ago. I was about to by NAD from spearitsound.com because they had refurbs to save money. But, I found the Peachtree Nova 220SE with generally excellent reviews, and bought an integrated refurb from Crutchfield (or Peachtree itself sells them). Its 220/side at 8 ohms both driven, so lots of class D power, built in pre and DAC. Never looked back, its great. Theres a newer and more powerful model now.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by dearsx View Post


        that is the challenging thing about this hobby, its like we are trying to hit a moving target from atop another moving platform.
        bingo
        .

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by revelator View Post
          I went thru that exercise of changing amps many years ago (Yamaha, Hafler, Adcom...) ended up with AVA FetValve (Audio by Van Alstine). Mine is only 150w/ch., haven't changed original tubes in ~10 yrs. However I see they don't offer that model anymorey more and prices have gone up. The best feedback I can offer is high reliability, real sound quality (listened to but never compared directly to Krell, Ayre, McIntosh) ...and Made in the USA.....

          http://www.avahifi.com/

          At one point I also considered Yamaha PS series amps instead of Crown Xls...

          http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global...mps/ps_series/
          I have Van Alstine equipment also, but older than yours. Never had any problem in about 20 years of service, and I had a pre (tubed), an amp (in a Hafler shell before they had their own metalwork), and a modified CD player (Magnavox, 14 bit, with an outboard and tubed DAC from the very early days of CD) all AVA. Excellent quality and reliability, I just needed more power than I had from this.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Zephyr View Post
            Keenly interested in this topic as I wait for my Statements II parts to be delivered. I had an unusual experience along these lines.

            I had built a pair of Stenatorians, powered by a stand alone Emotiva preamp/dac pushing a new Crown XLS 1000. Balanced inputs. I was totally underwhelmed by them, reading the glowing reviews my experience was totally different. I decided to give them to my daughter, figuring that since she listened exclusively to MP3, they would be good enough. Since she had no gear, I also included an old Yamaha integrated, maybe 60 watts per channel. I delivered them to her little place in Austin, she shoved them against the wall, and set about 5 feet apart, ie., in the only space she had that they would fit. Hooked up her computer from a headphone out into RCA jacks, turned it on and WOW! They sounded great, dynamic, punchy....all the things I had never been able to achieve regardless of placement, room, toe in,reversing polarity etc. Tried them using the different programs on the Yamana, changed the sound of course, but basically everything sounded good.

            Well, at this point with her dancing around the room, loving her new speakers, there was no going back. Now I need to somehow figure out where the weak link is. I suspect the Emotiva.....

            If I were to wager a guess the weak link is the room. Also, depending on what vintage that Yamaha is, it is probably also likely the Crown that is the weak link. IMO I would take many older Yamaha's over the Crown. But I am Curious though why you think it would be the Emotiva DAC, I would imagine it is better than a headphone jack on a PC.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by DearSX View Post

              Yeah it was the Brio-R. It was really a musical experience. At the time I thought amps should not sound musical or anything, they should just play what you give them. I really want to get that amp in my home at some point and see if I can replicate the results. It is near the top of my list.
              Where are you located?
              -Kerry

              www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post

                Where are you located?

                Rhode Island

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by DearSX View Post


                  Rhode Island
                  Too bad. If you were close I was going to offer to loan it to you so you could try it at home.
                  -Kerry

                  www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post

                    Too bad. If you were close I was going to offer to loan it to you so you could try it at home.

                    Thank you, I appreciate that . I'm going order the Brio (no longer Brio-R for 2017) and give it a try. Its one amp I know I heard and really liked, so if it does not work, I know it is not the amp.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by DearSX View Post


                      Rhode Island
                      .....we had this convo a while ago. I forgot you are unlucky enough to live here.

                      If you are free some sunday AM in the next couole of weeks can drag my amp over if you want and do some listening if you think it would help. If nothing else, just to help and see if the amp really is a big factor for you.
                      .

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Modern Class D is wonderful. We have a great thread going on about it on Audiogon, here:

                        https://forum.audiogon.com/discussio...-is-just-dandy

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by ErikSquires View Post
                          Modern Class D is wonderful. We have a great thread going on about it on Audiogon, here:

                          https://forum.audiogon.com/discussio...-is-just-dandy
                          One thing I may add: During my younger years...my hearing could detect power line "cleanliness", meaning sound reproduction was better and well defined during late night hours and sometimes terrible to horribe during daytime... Can someone comment on modern Class D amps? Do you perceive sound quality changes at different times of day. The hybrid tube FET is pretty much even no matter what time of day. A previous Adcom 555II (bipolar Transistor) I had was the most notable ...

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            The older Yamaha stuff are great. I have a Yamaha DSP-A1 receiver that I still use from time to time. It sounds better than any modern day receiver that I've replaced it with.

                            DearSX, where are you located? If you're local to one of us, you could coordinate a little jam session and demo different amps. I've had great times doing this with friends.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              I am in Rhode Island. I think I'll take mzisserson On his offer and test out his amp. I will see what weekend I am free.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Sounds good. I'm on the opposite side of the country, in the Northwest corner. If you were local, I have a handful of amps that I can offer up for us to play with.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X