No announcement yet.

Amplifier: Power Quantity vs Quality vs Features Balance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For $ 2500 there are some really good amps out there. You can do much better than Adcom, and I am not downing Adcom,. I have owned several Adcom amps and fot the money they are very good amps.
    craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

The NC400 handily outperforms the adcom, particularly at low wattage: https://www.diyclassd.com/product/nc400/11 These have been validated by third parties (there are some independent measures on diyaudio.com), and they're well within a $2500 budget for monoblocks. The NC500 and other OEM focused Ncore products perform very similarly.

Comment

Thanks I am really considering many options. I hope trying different amps out will prove very helpful. $2500 is my upper budget. If I can meet my goals with something a lot to expensive, I'll do it. In part because um...WAF and $2500 is a lot of money to me.

Comment

IMO it's not which amp for $2,500 but how many of the previously mentioned...
          John H

SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

A/B is safe and proven. In horse racing, always bet on a sure thing.
            Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
            DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
            Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
              Haha, that's how I roll too ☺. Although one of those Hypex N-Core amps... (drooling)
              "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
              "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post

I wish. That is how I feel after getting the Satori 3-way. Scans, Dayton subs, Accuton all sound awesome, but I probably only maybe "need" one.

After years of waiting to be able to afford all this, I finally can, but I have not forgotten how hard it was to get here. I plan to keep my system for at least 5 years and then talk to my wife about another . 1 year down, 4 more to go.

Comment

I'm using a Parasound A21 for midbass duty, it's another excellent amp within your $2,500 budget. Even less used.
                  Francis

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post
                    I'm using a Parasound A21 for midbass duty, it's another excellent amp within your $2,500 budget. Even less used.

I'm going to meet with mzisserson tonight to listen to the Parasound A21 that he has I saw one on craiglist last week for $1500 also. I hope it is as awesome as its reputation implies.

Comment

• You should become an amp wheeler dealer, cycle a bunch through your listening room.

Comment

• Originally posted by djg View Post
                        You should become an amp wheeler dealer, cycle a bunch through your listening room.

I'll start with 4 amps. Parasound, Emotiva Flex, Rega Brio and Crown XLS. If I could test them and not lose any money, I might just do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post
                          Most of the time we are listening at levels around 1W. Distortion ratings at 150W don't tell the whole story. What noise and distortion your amp produces at the 1W level will tell you a lot about the character of the amp during your most common listening levels.

My vintage Sansui G-8000 receiver with 120W class AB output is so quiet and clean. At nearly 50 years old it still easily holds its luster against just about anything of comparable power.

I just got an old Marantz 2230. I couldn't believe the effortless sound out of this 30wpc gem. I'm in the process of cleaning it up and restoring an old thorens td160 turntable which will be integrated into my living room system and dedicated for 2 channel vinyl playback. I also really like the looks of the classic receivers, lots of character. But yes, some work...but heck, this is a diy forum ;)
                          Carbon13

Comment

• mzisserson kindly let me listen to my 2-way Adelphos in his home with the Parasound A21 amp. We streamed CD rips through his server to a Bristani DAC and the Parasound A21. Its hard to say what exact role the amp played in the listening session, but going from what I heard the amp do with his others speakers, I knew the amp is capable of some very good dynamics and compare how my speakers sound relatively to his and relative to what it sounds like at my house in my system.

One thing that did sound a bit nicer was the bass. In his system (including room) the 2-way had more bass than at my house. I was not missing bass, I knew with his 8" ported woofer 3-way their was bass in the music I was missing, but I was still able to enjoy the bass from the Satori 2-way and was pretty happy. The big difference was the treble. I really enjoyed the imaging of his 3-way system. The Satori had create resolution but 2-way was a bit more fatiguing than his speakers in the treble. I don't think this was a function of the source/power equipment. My system is also fatiguing at my house with a lot of content, maybe a little less. I have improved this some by moving the placement around, but the ribbon was a bit easier to listen to. Imaging was more holographic on his speakers. System change did not completely transform my speakers to perform the same in that area.

I am going to focus more on moving my speakers around the room, moving the sound absorbing, and testing different music. I will have a Rega Brio next week to test the system amplification with a "musical" amp, I got a Tidal subscription so I can play the same music and I'm going to going to install the Kairos crossover and hopefully finish the cabinet for it and test some more. I also invited Imzisserson over to get a second set of ears and his opinion next week.

Comment

• The NuPrime IDA-8 integrated is one I have my eye on at the moment. 100x2, pretty nice feature set, high WAF (especially in silver), and the price is nice.

Comment

• I have an Ida8. Very easy to listen to, very musical. Not as dynamic or revealing as the ncore (which i prefer) but it is half the price and has a dac/pre and comes turnkey. its been great for the office, zero fatigue Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X