Amplifier: Power Quantity vs Quality vs Features Balance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DearSX View Post
    mzisserson kindly let me listen to my 2-way Adelphos in his home with the Parasound A21 amp. We streamed CD rips through his server to a Bristani DAC and the Parasound A21. Its hard to say what exact role the amp played in the listening session, but going from what I heard the amp do with his others speakers, I knew the amp is capable of some very good dynamics and compare how my speakers sound relatively to his and relative to what it sounds like at my house in my system.

One thing that did sound a bit nicer was the bass. In his system (including room) the 2-way had more bass than at my house. I was not missing bass, I knew with his 8" ported woofer 3-way their was bass in the music I was missing, but I was still able to enjoy the bass from the Satori 2-way and was pretty happy. The big difference was the treble. I really enjoyed the imaging of his 3-way system. The Satori had create resolution but 2-way was a bit more fatiguing than his speakers in the treble. I don't think this was a function of the source/power equipment. My system is also fatiguing at my house with a lot of content, maybe a little less. I have improved this some by moving the placement around, but the ribbon was a bit easier to listen to. Imaging was more holographic on his speakers. System change did not completely transform my speakers to perform the same in that area.

I am going to focus more on moving my speakers around the room, moving the sound absorbing, and testing different music. I will have a Rega Brio next week to test the system amplification with a "musical" amp, I got a Tidal subscription so I can play the same music and I'm going to going to install the Kairos crossover and hopefully finish the cabinet for it and test some more. I also invited Imzisserson over to get a second set of ears and his opinion next week.
    One place my A21 excels is what some people call micro dynamics, tiny details in the music that are easily lost. To hear what I'm talking about I suspect you'd have to listen by yourself in a very quiet room to complex material. As you said, it's also a beast for regular dynamics.
    Francis

Comment

• Originally posted by fpitas View Post

One place my A21 excels is what some people call micro dynamics, tiny details in the music that are easily lost. To hear what I'm talking about I suspect you'd have to listen by yourself in a very quiet room to complex material. As you said, it's also a beast for regular dynamics.
      The A21 is way out of its leage at its price in these regards. They can be had fairly affordable, too used. I listened to a lot of amps before settling on the A21, none had the "everything-ness" the A21 has despite quite a few being better in individual areas.

The Teddy Pardo MB100's are actually BETTER for the same MSRP, but you give up 100W of overall drive.

Comment

• On the subject, if you're willing to give up even more power, a First Watt J2 demo unit can be had for about $2,500. There are very few amps with better resolution. It's only 25W though. I use one for the horn section, where 25W is plenty.
        Francis

Comment

• I know nothing about it but The Absolute Sound had a rave review of the Odyssey Audio Khartago 2 channel amp for $800. Apparently Alon Wolf uses it at the Magico factory for testing. You can find review online

Comment

• I just got the Rega Brio (2017). So far I do like it, It has good dynamics, sounds like it has more power than the Emotiva, even though both are 50 watts. Dynamics seem pretty good. Still need to do a side by side comparison. It does not change the speaker or room though, which still have things I don't like.

The first of the six RCA inputs sounds messed up, just hearing bass and crap. I will be returning this device, but listening on the inputs that do work to test it first.

Comment

• Originally posted by DearSX
              I just got the Rega Brio (2017). So far I do like it, It has good dynamics, sounds like it has more power than the Emotiva, even though both are 50 watts. Dynamics seem pretty good. Still need to do a side by side comparison. It does not change the speaker or room though, which still have things I don't like. The first of the six RCA inputs sounds messed up, just hearing bass and crap. I will be returning this device, but listening on the inputs that do work to test it first.
              The first input is the phono input, so unless you are using a turntable, will sound messed up. Last input is the tape loop, which will be full volume at all times.
              -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
                The first input is the phono input, so unless you are using a turntable, will sound messed up. Last input is the tape loop, which will be full volume at all times.

LOL, Oops, That is good to know.

Comment

• Just saw another option for you. 110wpc with bass management, under 1k. http://outlawaudio.com/products/rr2160.html

Comment

• Outlaw audio has a good rep. They remind of Emotiva.

So far the 4 different amps I heard don't fix the issues I have with the sound. I am not like Wow, this is system is awesome, even though its a great design using great drivers that should sound very natural. I want to finish the Kairos version so that I can test it properly.
                    Last edited by DearSX; 05-19-2017, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X