Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RSS265HF ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RSS265HF ideas

    I think I've got the RSS265HF decided as the 80hz-and-under part of my music system. Will be a pair, cabs under the main speakers and driven by a Crown XLS2000. Anyone have a strong opinion on how to use them? I am leaning toward 2.0ft3 with Fb of 26hz but am open to ideas.

  • #2
    Looks good. I might tune that very slightly lower. Might also go slightly larger.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm with Chris, here. FWIW, if the published specs are reasonably accurate and I was going to design a TL for this woofer, I'd shoot for a tuning frequency around 20 Hz for the 8-ohm version, or around 23 Hz for the 4-ohm version. Of course, modeling the TLs would determine the optimum tuning frequency.
      Paul

      Comment


      • #4
        Wasn't that what Dan used in the HOSS project? That would make a good set of speaker stands.
        Later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

        *InDIYana event website*

        Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

        My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

        Comment


        • #5
          Yep, I'm pretty sure you're correct. I have a cabinet drawing Dan provided from which I did some modeling. It was the 4-ohm version in a tapered TL with a tuning frequency (its 1/4 wave resonant frequency) of 22 Hz.

          Originally posted by Wolf View Post
          Wasn't that what Dan used in the HOSS project? That would make a good set of speaker stands.
          Later,
          Wolf

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi Paul - would love to see the tapered TL drawing

            Comment


            • #7
              It was a drawing that Dan created and sent me and I no longer have it in electronic form that I can show you. He did the design and I modeled the predicted results based on the cabinet and line dimensions.
              Paul

              Originally posted by ontariomaximus View Post
              Hi Paul - would love to see the tapered TL drawing

              Comment


              • #8
                I found it after all and have attached the cabinet drawing Dan made. At the time he was calling it Mentor.
                Paul
                Mentor2-Concept1-TL2.pdf
                Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                It was a drawing that Dan created and sent me and I no longer have it in electronic form that I can show you. He did the design and I modeled the predicted results based on the cabinet and line dimensions.
                Paul


                Comment


                • #9
                  I am reviewing it right now, but I think I would stay away from all the complex angles. Do you know the length of the line, the start area, the end area? I don't mind doing a 56 litre (internal) cab, but if I had the length, and ending area as a percentage of starting area I could draw something up.

                  I notice the exit is only about 6" sq. That's about as small as you want to go, right? It's a little smaller area than a 3" abs pipe.

                  Another driver I am considering which seems to be similar to the RSS265HF is the CSS SDX10 which is on sale for Cdn$98 or about US$75
                  Last edited by ontariomaximus; 05-04-2017, 11:25 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Downloaded hornresp last night and been playing with. Here is what I come up with for a off set T-line for the CSS 10SDX. First half of the line is stuffed with .078kg (2.75 ounces?) of polyfill. Is that correct?

                    Internal volume is 55 litres and the line length is 200cm. Starts at 445cm2 ends at 70cm2. Driver is offset 60cm. Does this look good?

                    I did some RSS265HF sims and they look promising too.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It depends on where you'd cross this woofer as to how good your results are. Your 2.75 ounces is correct but as an estimate it creates a stuffing density of only 0.14 lb/ft3 (I guessed at how much volume is in the first half of the line). I almost never use a density less than 0.75 lb/ft3 in order to make the overall response a lot smoother than what you're showing. Also, I almost never use a taper ratio less than 10:1 (yours is ~6.4:1) because that also smooths the response. But, again, it depends on where you cross the woofer and other goals/needs/preferences you have.
                      Paul

                      Originally posted by ontariomaximus View Post
                      Downloaded hornresp last night and been playing with. Here is what I come up with for a off set T-line for the CSS 10SDX. First half of the line is stuffed with .078kg (2.75 ounces?) of polyfill. Is that correct?

                      Internal volume is 55 litres and the line length is 200cm. Starts at 445cm2 ends at 70cm2. Driver is offset 60cm. Does this look good?

                      I did some RSS265HF sims and they look promising too.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        This is for a sub 80hz and lower 24db per octave. Maybe as high as 100hz. I just tweaked the amount of fill according to hornresp.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The complex angles were simply a necessity based on the cabinet shape that Dan wanted. The line length was 70.25", the starting area was 51.6 in2 and the ending area was 2.5 in2, making the taper ratio ~21:1 and the system tuning frequency ~22 Hz (the line's 1/4-wavelength resonant frequency created from the line's length and taper). I've attached the modeling input data sheets and some of the resulting graphs, including the line's profile (the first graph).
                          Paul
                          265HFTL.doc

                          Originally posted by ontariomaximus View Post
                          I am reviewing it right now, but I think I would stay away from all the complex angles. Do you know the length of the line, the start area, the end area? I don't mind doing a 56 litre (internal) cab, but if I had the length, and ending area as a percentage of starting area I could draw something up.

                          I notice the exit is only about 6" sq. That's about as small as you want to go, right? It's a little smaller area than a 3" abs pipe.

                          Another driver I am considering which seems to be similar to the RSS265HF is the CSS SDX10 which is on sale for Cdn$98 or about US$75

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            For pure subwoofer duty, your design looks good. All of my personal TL designs require crossing higher, at least 300 Hz and up to 2 kHz or so depending on it being a 3-way or 2-way, thus needing to have a smoother response higher in frequency.
                            Paul

                            Originally posted by ontariomaximus View Post
                            This is for a sub 80hz and lower 24db per octave. Maybe as high as 100hz. I just tweaked the amount of fill according to hornresp.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Wouldn't there be chuffing with only 2.5 sq in at the end when we turn the music up? Or am I not looking at it from the correct point of view?
                              In my sim, I am not too concerned about the jaggedness about 200hz as this is a subwoofer.
                              Before I start drawing the 55litre sim above in post#10, I would love some feedback.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X