No announcement yet.

O.T. What do you use to burn music CDs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah figured it was either burner or media. Be aware though that the issue may still be the media, sometimes bad media can be read on some drives but not others, doesn't mean the drive is broke or faulty, just a low performer. If that is the case you want to get better media at minimum, but may not need to replace the drive. You want to do a scan for errors, plenty of software can do this, maybe even Nero IIRC. The sight I linked to earlier can give you tips on that. If this is important archival stuff, I would really do the scans and find the right media and possibly drive to the job with confidence.
    ~Brandon

Soma Sonus
    DriverVault

Comment

Hey, thanks for the additional advice.

I hate to confess this, but I bought the DVD/CD external drive from one of those 'overseas' sellers, it was about $8 or so, I actually got two of them just for fun. It's quiet and it did the job just fine, it's USB 3.0 also. I just bought it because it was again,so cheap, and also free shipping. I never thought I'd have to use it as a main drive, but the one in my computer just doesn't seem to want to write anymore. I always check the disc to see where the burn stops after it's finished burning, I didn't see any.

It used to burn on the Staples brand CDs but I guess not anymore. I used some from the old and new stacks of CD's but no luck.

I won't replace the internal CD drive I don't think. It still reads, just doesn't burn. I'll just use the external drive when I need to burn.

Thanks again guys for the advice, I looked into them, but had to settle on just one. I like that it tells you a lot of information about what it's doing. Between the solid state drive and the much better software for burning, my computer is working quite nicely now! I got rid of AVG (the paid version) and just went with windows defender. AVG was slowing my computer down like crazy. Much better now.

Man, can I blab. Sorry. I'm kind of quiet in real life so I guess I make up for it on the keyboard.

TomZ
      *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
      *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
        You also don't have 1000+ CDs like I do. I started collecting my own music CDs in 1993.
        You're a millennial- I'm a Gen-X.

Later,
        Wolf
        Lemme know when ya have 1000+ LPs ;). Now THOSE were some liner notes.

shawn
        My favorite woofer is a Labrador retriever.

Comment

If you can, foobar2000 with the burner plugin is fantastic. It even allows dsp's to be applied, such as a vst wrapper for a limitter, compressor or a gain reducer Sent from my Archos Diamond S using Tapatalk

Comment

Did someone say burn CD's?
            A mains
            The Ventures
            Open Invit8tions
            RSR
            Sound Troopers
            Acorns
            DGBG's
            The Monuments

Comment

Don't be intimidated by the prospect of changing out the internal dvd drive, generally quick and easy process, with just a single small screw on the bottom of the case holding it in. Since discs are declining in popularity/demand, the price of disc drives is really in bargain territory. Before taking that step, though, you might try a firmware update of the drive. Check the mfgr. website for the latest firmware and how-to instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by biscuitbarrell View Post
                Don't be intimidated by the prospect of changing out the internal dvd drive, generally quick and easy process, with just a single small screw on the bottom of the case holding it in. Since discs are declining in popularity/demand, the price of disc drives is really in bargain territory. Before taking that step, though, you might try a firmware update of the drive. Check the mfgr. website for the latest firmware and how-to instructions.
                I'm not worried that I can't pull it off replacing the drive, but it looks to be a proprietary piece. The external housing/bottom tray is curved and sculpted to match the curve of the side of the laptop. I'd need to purchase the exact piece in order for it to look/work correctly, and I bet it costs a bit more than a standard CD/DVD drive. I could check, though, it may not be that costly.

Good tip on checking the firmware, thanks. I wouldn't have thought of that.

I'm also in the camp of checking out liner notes as I listen, I think you get more out of the music that way. And sometimes listening to a song in the 'context' of it's album is more enjoyable than just listening to a MP3 of the song.

TomZ
                *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Working...
                X