A song as a "Musical Journey"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
    My recent Journey takes 51:50 and prompted me to buy the CD ( classified as Alternative) :
    Further - Completo: Chemical Brothers

Thank you! Link's dead for me, but what I've found shows me that the Chemical Bros aren't dead! I was a big fan well over a decade ago (Exit Planit Dust/ Dig Your Own Hole), but lost interest. This sounds good!

To me much of the great elecronica is similar to great classical, where there are themes that repeat, but complexities built on them, moving toward an ultimate goal. A journey, if you will.

Completely unrelated, but fun to listen to over and over, is:

Victor Wooten's Classical Thump.

All of Paul's Boutique, especially if you like samples (before samples were a thing)

Led Zep 4 is repeat material.

Queen Somebody to Love

Joe Jackson's Jumpin Jive (not so much a journey, but just a fun jam)

Animal Collective's Rainbows (Floridada is just nuts and definitely takes you somewhere)

I could probably think of dozens more off the beaten path examples of neat stuff. If anyone decides to listen to one of these and it does something for ya, please let me know, I'll dump more stuff here.

Comment

Originally posted by oilstain View Post
      Thank you! Link's dead for me, but what I've found shows me that the Chemical Bros aren't dead! I was a big fan well over a decade ago (Exit Planit Dust/ Dig Your Own Hole), but lost interest. This sounds good!

To me much of the great elecronica is similar to great classical, where there are themes that repeat, but complexities built on them, moving toward an ultimate goal. A journey, if you will.

Completely unrelated, but fun to listen to over and over, is:

Victor Wooten's Classical Thump...
      Been a big fan of music synthesis since the 60s.
      Pity that the link to the complete video is dead.
      However: The 8 pieces ( from the CD Further ) exist as separate video tracks.

Check out SMV - Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller & Victor Wooten.
      Last edited by Sydney; 10-13-2017, 09:06 AM.
      "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
      "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

I don't think I've seen it on this list, but I tend to have a short attention span when it comes to sitting and listening to music, it really takes the right piece to keep me from hitting the next button, basically the only album that does it is Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots by The Flaming Lips. I also have a surround version packed away somewhere. It's not soft and calm, but it does tell a story and it's really fun to listen to, especially the surround version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_phGtN72POE

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
        return to the source
        leviathan system thread
        deadhorse thread
        shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
          I feel bad for leaving out "Thick as a Brick" by Jethro Tull. My understanding was that Ian Anderson wrote the songs separately like any normal album. But they just flow together so well that I've always just thought of it as one very long song. Also, he claims to have written it as a "parody" to self-indulgent never-ending Prog Rock songs--but again, this slipped by me.

https://youtu.be/SdwQmkuUUIE

I really don't mind if you sit this one out...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post

I really ought to do another 3-way with a 10" woofer again.
            Please do!

I'd love to see a design using a 12" woofer instead of the 10." There seems to be a little bit of movement back to the earlier preference for a big woofer and no need for a sub. It would be thrilling to see what your unique abilities could do with this combination, Paul. And I truly believe that there are more people than we think who are hankering for the classic sound of a big woofer in a cabinet with great aesthetics. The tall and skinny tower speaker has become ubiquitous and, to me, a design that is so common, so ordinary, that the visual appeal has been exhausted. To see the 12" TMW combination bloom with modern crossovers, drivers, and a beautiful cabinet would make my day. Please proceed!

GeeDeeEmm

Comment

Paul, if you decide to do a 3 way with a 12" please let me know! I'm almost ready to start buying parts for the Tarkus, but if a 12"er is coming, I'll wait. I have a newborn, so my chances of getting the Tarkus built before you complete a design and 100 other people build it is low.

I love big speakers!

Comment

Kraftwerk - Autobahn .. it is literally a journey down a German autobahn.

Comment

Working...
                X