A song as a "Musical Journey"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
    My recent Journey takes 51:50 and prompted me to buy the CD ( classified as Alternative) :
    Further - Completo: Chemical Brothers

Thank you! Link's dead for me, but what I've found shows me that the Chemical Bros aren't dead! I was a big fan well over a decade ago (Exit Planit Dust/ Dig Your Own Hole), but lost interest. This sounds good!

To me much of the great elecronica is similar to great classical, where there are themes that repeat, but complexities built on them, moving toward an ultimate goal. A journey, if you will.

Completely unrelated, but fun to listen to over and over, is:

Victor Wooten's Classical Thump.

All of Paul's Boutique, especially if you like samples (before samples were a thing)

Led Zep 4 is repeat material.

Queen Somebody to Love

Joe Jackson's Jumpin Jive (not so much a journey, but just a fun jam)

Animal Collective's Rainbows (Floridada is just nuts and definitely takes you somewhere)

I could probably think of dozens more off the beaten path examples of neat stuff. If anyone decides to listen to one of these and it does something for ya, please let me know, I'll dump more stuff here.

Comment

Originally posted by oilstain View Post
      Thank you! Link's dead for me, but what I've found shows me that the Chemical Bros aren't dead! I was a big fan well over a decade ago (Exit Planit Dust/ Dig Your Own Hole), but lost interest. This sounds good!

To me much of the great elecronica is similar to great classical, where there are themes that repeat, but complexities built on them, moving toward an ultimate goal. A journey, if you will.

Completely unrelated, but fun to listen to over and over, is:

Victor Wooten's Classical Thump...
      Been a big fan of music synthesis since the 60s.
      Pity that the link to the complete video is dead.
      However: The 8 pieces ( from the CD Further ) exist as separate video tracks.

Check out SMV - Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller & Victor Wooten.
      Last edited by Sydney; 10-13-2017, 09:06 AM.
      "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
      “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
      "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

I don't think I've seen it on this list, but I tend to have a short attention span when it comes to sitting and listening to music, it really takes the right piece to keep me from hitting the next button, basically the only album that does it is Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots by The Flaming Lips. I also have a surround version packed away somewhere. It's not soft and calm, but it does tell a story and it's really fun to listen to, especially the surround version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_phGtN72POE

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
        return to the source
        leviathan system thread
        deadhorse thread
        shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
          I feel bad for leaving out "Thick as a Brick" by Jethro Tull. My understanding was that Ian Anderson wrote the songs separately like any normal album. But they just flow together so well that I've always just thought of it as one very long song. Also, he claims to have written it as a "parody" to self-indulgent never-ending Prog Rock songs--but again, this slipped by me.

https://youtu.be/SdwQmkuUUIE

I really don't mind if you sit this one out...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post

I really ought to do another 3-way with a 10" woofer again.
            Please do!

I'd love to see a design using a 12" woofer instead of the 10." There seems to be a little bit of movement back to the earlier preference for a big woofer and no need for a sub. It would be thrilling to see what your unique abilities could do with this combination, Paul. And I truly believe that there are more people than we think who are hankering for the classic sound of a big woofer in a cabinet with great aesthetics. The tall and skinny tower speaker has become ubiquitous and, to me, a design that is so common, so ordinary, that the visual appeal has been exhausted. To see the 12" TMW combination bloom with modern crossovers, drivers, and a beautiful cabinet would make my day. Please proceed!

GeeDeeEmm

Comment

Paul, if you decide to do a 3 way with a 12" please let me know! I'm almost ready to start buying parts for the Tarkus, but if a 12"er is coming, I'll wait. I have a newborn, so my chances of getting the Tarkus built before you complete a design and 100 other people build it is low.

I love big speakers!

Comment

Kraftwerk - Autobahn .. it is literally a journey down a German autobahn.

Comment

[QUOTE=Paul Carmody;n1330995]"This is the sequel to my earlier thread about Perfect Songs. And I suspect a lot of people were sort of heading this way with their responses.

To me, the flip side of a "Perfect Song" is a "Musical Journey." That is:

+The song might "take its time" and doesn't necessarily fit into a standard 3:30 time slot (although it could)
                  +It will often move through varying themes and ideas, but each one makes sense in the whole
                  +It keeps your interest throughout
                  +When the song is over, you feel like you've just been on a journey, and you're eager to go back

I fear that the clips people will post will end up with much longer listening sessions than the last thread, but oh well. I also expect there to be a lot of Prog Rock; it just sort of suits the genre. So, like bonus points if you include non-prog-rock songs :-)"

Paul,
                  Sincere thanks for your designs. When you described this element of the Tarkus, I knew it was the speaker I needed for playing bass and figuring out parts (I have played by ear always--cannot read):

"I think the thing I enjoyed the most from this design was the ability it gave me to differentiate the kick drum from the electric bass, and hear them separately--not sort of "mashed together" as is the norm on smaller speakers."

I am going to do a translam, and ordering parts this next week. The lamination will be of hardwood scraps, leftovers from a local cabinbet shop (yes I dig thru garbage bins for hardwood scraps)

As far as musical journey works, I would say any of the Preludes & Fugues of JS Bach, with multiple, layered melodic lines, takes me away every time. Even within 4 minutes. Almost any symphony. Jazz--too much to list.

You mentioned prog-rock, and one person listed Yes-Starship Trooper (a big YES for space rock--RIP Bowie) . I would pick Tales from Topographic Oceans as #1 probably. Followed by Relayer, 2 of the band's absolute best, and yet least popular albums, often sold as cut-outs back in the day. This is because, I think, the critics panned these because it was not easily accessible AOR. And all they wanted was more "Roundabout" tunes. As third I would put Close to the Edge--the most accessible and

And even band members took part in the self-loathing, saying at times (some of them) calling them self-indulgent and taking too many artistic liberties. Alas--this is what pushed the envelope of prog rock, and prog rock should always change--that is why it is called "progressive"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtCuh99yOPc&t=3618s
                  Soon is perhaps the most beautiful tune ever written by Yes. Anderson along with Howe's haunting slide work: priceless and comes at the end of what is a musical representation of battle (Inspired by Tolstoy's War and Peace) Which is "The Gates of Delirium"

Tales https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtCuh99yOPc&t=3618s

Relayer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe6b1Kppw5E

Close to the Edge https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky3w2d8Qm5c Edge

In addition, I will suggest one of the most beautifully written and most overlooked great album of prog rock. Jon Anderson's solo "Olias of Sunhillow" It tells the story of an alien race who build a starship to create and escape from a volcano. It is powered by the voices of those aboard.

This blog description nails it:

"Murray Ewing reflected "there’s a dangerous swerve towards the New Age in Anderson’s first solo album, both in the optimistic whimsy of its fantasy world, and the musical palette of soft, sparkling synths and world instruments. Thankfully, it easily escapes that particular doldrum of musical hell through sheer energy (on the musical front) and sheer weirdness (on the fantasy front). This isn’t music to attune your chakras to, it’s adventurous, full of drama, uplifting melodies, evocative soundscapes, and a fresh unearthliness that makes it the only fantasy album I can think of which genuinely sounds like it could have come from another world."

but I might disagree about the chakras ;-)

Would make an amazing Rock Opera movie, and a real shame someone has not taken this on. This is a musical escape album like no other--whatever happened to "concept albums."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFLr6OM_hS4

Paul this is a great thread--sorry for going back in time but thought it was worth it.

Comment

2112 was already mentioned, and it's great. Here's one that isn't prog, hopefully it wasn't mentioned already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWdTi57e4GU

Comment

I think an underrated album for sure, TOMMY - The Who is kind of cheating since by definition it's telling a story. Once I start track 1 it's hard to stop if I have time. Great music talent with emotion.

Now something newer...An interesting prog metal guitarist Sithu Aye - Set Course for Andromeda
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQsAmJUCcg4

Another prog metal - Scale the Summit, both The Collective and The Migration albums can take you on a journey...couple samples
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8Zn...b7eSxPrhhPlbCU
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWtw...Xer2JL8FGs_m1s

Comment

Here's a classical musical journey, Troika from Prokofiev's Lt. Kije suite. Well known, you hear it a Xmas time, and ELP used it as well. A troika is a three horse sleigh, the music takes you for a ride.
                        https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...t.+kije+troika

Comment

Originally posted by certvalue143
                          Hello....A song as a "Musical Journey" is a very nice song in this forum site....thanks for sharing this link
                          ISO 9001 Certification in Iraq
                          Spam as a musical journey?
                          Francis

Comment

Working...
                          X