Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Check out the new high sensitivity driver from Dayton!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check out the new high sensitivity driver from Dayton!

Hey guys,

We just launched a new high sensitivity mid-bass driver you might want to check out. It's great for just about every application, car, high efficiency home audio or even pro sound. This would make a great option for getting insane output from even the smallest of portable boomboxes as well. AND...its good to ~2.5k up to 75 DEGREES off axis!

I just installed a pair in my car and the difference in output is astounding using the factory head unit. Just in case you haven't seen them yet, take a look. We also shot a quick video of my install.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...4-ohm--295-348

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt6L3ymsulI

Advertisement plug /end.

Matt
    Your results may vary.

Very cool! Should really own its niche. One question, the pdf says the magnet is neo, but it looks kinda too big to be neo? Or maybe not.
    ~Brandon

Soma Sonus
    DriverVault

Comment

Saw this the other day. Still waiting for a ~4" PS series driver.
      "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
      The Roxster
      Swopes 5.0
      Acoustic Panels
      Living Room Make Over

Comment

Interesting, that is one big neo slug on that sucker! I have just a bit of commentary:

-Qts is low, obviously due to the high motor strength, but I find it odd since that is usually not a goal for a "purpose built car audio" driver. Usually you see high Qts here for sealed / open baffle type of installations (reference the youtube video for example).
        -The sensitivity listed solely based on T/S is a bit misleading IMO, and inconsistent with the rest of Dayton's products. Just look at the PS180 for comparison, a proper 95dB driver, and this one should be listed at 95dB as well since that is the usable sensitivity.
        -Sixty Five??? Who chose the part number? Literally every other Dayton product number is listed in millimeters, such as PS180, PM180, RS180, etc.
        Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, You get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Originally posted by augerpro View Post
          Very cool! Should really own its niche. One question, the pdf says the magnet is neo, but it looks kinda too big to be neo? Or maybe not.
          Look again at the magnet. Instead of dark ceramic, it looks to be a slug of shiny neodymium! Yeah, we're not used to seeing neo magnets that big.
          I wish PE had these when I was looking to re-do my front speakers in my car awhile back!

TomZ
          *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

What's the diameter of that phase plug? It seems larger than normal but the VC is only 1 inch. Like others, I'm looking for a good coax candidate.
            John H

SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
              Interesting, that is one big neo slug on that sucker! I have just a bit of commentary:

-Qts is low, obviously due to the high motor strength, but I find it odd since that is usually not a goal for a "purpose built car audio" driver. Usually you see high Qts here for sealed / open baffle type of installations (reference the youtube video for example).
              -The sensitivity listed solely based on T/S is a bit misleading IMO, and inconsistent with the rest of Dayton's products. Just look at the PS180 for comparison, a proper 95dB driver, and this one should be listed at 95dB as well since that is the usable sensitivity.
              -Sixty Five??? Who chose the part number? Literally every other Dayton product number is listed in millimeters, such as PS180, PM180, RS180, etc.
              I think the 65 in the model number follows convention with car speakers. Many have some type of reference to the size in inches in the model number. As in 65 for a 6.5 inch speaker.
              TomZ
              *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
              *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Saw these drivers at the PE booth at Axpona. The come profile where it meets the cone is quite different than usual and transition from the smooth cone to a sharp drop towards the voice coil creating a small valley between the phase plugs and the flat portion of the coil. Unfortunately it wasn't playing, so don't know how it sounds.

Pretty handsome looking driver

Comment

We need a 2 ohm version for GM and Chrysler products!

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                    What's the diameter of that phase plug? It seems larger than normal but the VC is only 1 inch. Like others, I'm looking for a good coax candidate.
                    Might be a good option there...
                    Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

A ~250hz f3 seems awfully high for car use. That said, if the distortion is on par with Dayton's other high efficiency drivers, I'd put it in a tower and call it a day...

Comment

They make the phase plug sharp enough!

Comment

Originally posted by spasticteapot View Post
                          A ~250hz f3 seems awfully high for car use. That said, if the distortion is on par with Dayton's other high efficiency drivers, I'd put it in a tower and call it a day...
                          Nice to see you back, Spaz!
                          Wolf
                          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post

Nice to see you back, Spaz!
                            Wolf

I LIVE!

I spent a few years as an extra in a Hunter S. Thompson movie, but I got better.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2148 (Medium).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	1331183

Name:	IMG_2147 (Medium).JPG
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	1331184

Name:	IMG_2149 (Medium).JPG
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	1331185

Name:	IMG_2150 (Medium).JPG
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	1331186

It is neo, and a powerful sucker at that.

Copper cap peaking out in that last picture.

Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Working...
                              X