My Son's MWAF Entry: The Black Widows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Son's MWAF Entry: The Black Widows

Figured it's about time to start this thread. Will be setting Kole up tomorrow with his own membership name so he can respond to you guys if you have any questions or comments. My son and I will be making the long drive to Ohio for MWAF in a couple of months and these will be his entry. Yes, I designed the speakers and they will be cut on the CNC but the rest is up to him. He's going to do all the work, I'll just be the director. It's pretty impressive that at 14 years old he can already write some CNC programs and he knows the machine well enough now to execute the programs on his own. He also knows how to spray paint and lacquer with a HVLP paint gun, something he's going to have to do on these since they will be Piano Black. He's really good with his hands and picks up on things fast. This will be a fun project for us and I'm really looking forward to it.

Started a design similar to this about a year and half ago but never got back to them. The prototype was originally built using the ND105's but we've decided recently to switch over to the new DSA135's. They only give up a little extension to the ND105's but are larger drivers so I think the trade will be worth it. The only thing Kole is adamant about is these speakers have good bass. There's a gain control for the subwoofer amp in my car and he loves to crank that thing up until it drowns out the rest of the music. I think this project is going to teach him there's more to a speaker than bass, especially when we get to the crossover portion and he can hear how that impacts the drivers. At least this year I have a mic and we'll be able to see and hear the changes.

It will be at least another week before the build commences but as soon as he starts gluing it together, I'll show him how to post some pics. Until then, here is a general breakdown of the speakers.

Drivers: 2-DSA135-8's wired parallel and the ND25FN-4 tweeter
    Crossover: TBD (2-way or 2.5)
    Alignment: EBS, F3 in the low 40's .
    Cabinets: 20 liters with two 1.5" x 7" ports tuned to 45hz.
    Dimensions: 17" tall, 10.5" wide, 12.75" deep
    Materials: Front and Rear Baffles will be 3/4" MDF, sides will be 1/2" MDF. The red insert on the front will be 1/4" MDF, the rear one will be 3/4" MDF since it is a removable baffle.

And here are some screenshots of the model. There are still a few details missing, screws in the rear baffle, binding post, etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BLACK WIDOWS 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1331178
    Click image for larger version

Name:	BLACK WIDOWS SIDE AND REAR.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1331179

Thanks for having a look and Kole is looking forward to interacting with you guys so feel free to chat him up.

My "No-Name" CC Speaker
    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
    Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
    The Archers
    Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
    The Gandalf's

Kick ya in da seat! Way to go Kole.
    Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
    DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
    Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Those are wicked looking! I like the fact that the bottom is wider than the top, I didn't notice it at first, they generally appear symmetrical, but you can see it if you look long enough. Cool design.
      Man, I thought Kole was going to start with something easier for his first project, but it looks like he's got his father's blood running through his veins!

Nice Job Kole!

TomZ
      *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
      *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Me likey! I love the Black Widow/red hourglass theme. That's 2 spider-referenced projects I'm aware of; Nephila and Black Widow. I've toyed with shaped cabs such as these before, but I haven't bit the bullet and done one yet.

Engage!
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

WOW! Way to go dad, starting the kid off on an easy one. Be interesting to see where this goes in the next few years. Programming skills, impressive. Wait until he figures out he can crank out masses of subwoofers with nice finishes. College fund.

As a former vocational school teacher and parent who always involved kids in my commercial projects, hats off. My daughter is probably the only Md. PhD who can hang drywall fast and accurate. Son can build and outfit a boat, top notch mechanic.

Comment

I nominate you for the best dad ever award!

This is a fantastic project. We need more young people in this hobby. Reading this makes me wish I could have started DIY this young, during a time when I had tons of free time and little money.

I wonder how long you can hold him off from building a subwoofer after this speaker

Comment

Originally posted by bcodemz View Post
              I nominate you for the best dad ever award!

This is a fantastic project. We need more young people in this hobby. Reading this makes me wish I could have started DIY this young, during a time when I had tons of free time and little money.

I wonder how long you can hold him off from building a subwoofer after this speaker

Does 27 still count as young? Although I am the reverse...it is ME getting my dad into home and car stereo, as I figure things out on my own then inspire him to want to do something too :P Well...he is a contractor and I am an engineer so I get the technical stuff down pat and he helps me with the woodwork/finishing tips and of course he (used to) supply all the tools I'd ever need! I've gathered quite the collection of my own tools now though!

Love the design Kole...can't wait to see the build get going!

Comment

Other than cosmetic concerns, is there a reason the midsection is so thin ... maybe in the way it effects the treble?
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

I like the look, but if it were me, I'd knock out a test baffle and see if there is any unreasonable amount of diffraction in the tweeters range.

Comment

Very nice Kevin, similar to a pair I've been tinkering with.

Comment

Originally posted by Kornbread View Post
                      Other than cosmetic concerns, is there a reason the midsection is so thin ... maybe in the way it effects the treble?
                      It's not much thinner than a normal cabinet would have been. Top width is 9.5", middle is 6.25", and bottom is 10.5" Typically, a driver the size of the DSA135's would fit in a 7-8" wide cabinet.

Originally posted by rpb View Post
                      I like the look, but if it were me, I'd knock out a test baffle and see if there is any unreasonable amount of diffraction in the tweeters range.
                      I think that's a great idea, Kole and I both can learn from it! We'll cut two baffles. One in the hourglass shape and one rectangular baffle more in line with what most builders would use for this size driver. We'll run them active and take measurements on both baffles. Will share the results with you guys once we have them. I have to admit the shape of the enclosures has me concerned but if all else fails, we can convert these from passive to active and probably deal with most of the issues. Really hoping they can be done passively.

My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                      Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                      The Archers
                      The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by ugly woofer View Post
                        Very nice Kevin, similar to a pair I've been tinkering with.
                        Very similar Nick. I figured someone had built enclosures in this shape before, we were just hoping no one had used the name and color scheme associated with this shape set. Will you be bringing yours to MWAF?
                        My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                        Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                        The Archers
                        The Gandalf's

Comment

Kole is at a School Soccer game this evening fellas, it may be too late for him to respond to some of you when he gets home. If so, he'll post replies tomorrow evening. Thanks for the kind words guys.
                          My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                          Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                          The Archers
                          The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                            Those are wicked looking! I like the fact that the bottom is wider than the top, I didn't notice it at first, they generally appear symmetrical, but you can see it if you look long enough. Cool design.
                            Man, I thought Kole was going to start with something easier for his first project, but it looks like he's got his father's blood running through his veins!

Nice Job Kole!

TomZ
                            Thanks Tom. Look forward to seeing you and Eileen in a couple months.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny_k View Post
                              Kick ya in da seat! Way to go Kole.
                              Thanks Kenny. Yea I like bass!

Comment

Working...
                              X