No announcement yet.

My Son's MWAF Entry: The Black Widows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing attention to detail and finish. I can't imagine the amount of work but it was worth it.

Comment

• Nice!

And thanks for posting the pic of the boo-boo... at least now we know you're human.
      Is that a 'Mini-Me' in the background of the last pic?
      *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
      *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

• Thanks fellas from both of us.

Tom, that's the 3rd enclosure we built for working out the ports, damping material and crossovers while the others were being painted. It just looks smaller in that pic since it's closer to the floor and further away. Since you brought up the test enclosure, this would be a good time to share.

It was an interesting journey trying to find the solution for the midrange leak. We tried all of the damping materials, some worked better than others but none of them made a huge difference in the 1K range where we had the problem. In the end, we settled on the bonded logic for damping just cause it wasn't itchy.

The ports are where most of the problem was addressed, came across it by accident. Been shooting to tune the enclosure to 45hz and we were coming in high so swapped out the tubes with some longer ones. Guessed to long but noticed a substantial improvement in the 1K range when we dropped the tuning on the enclosures. Unfortunately this lower tuning was too low and would have raised the F3. This got the wheels spinning. That's when I remembered the low profile subwoofer I built a while back and the problem I had with it on the boundary re-enforcement effecting the tuning. Started thinking, could boundary re-enforcement actually be used to our advantage on these enclosures? Added elbows to the ports, aimed them at a 45 degree angle towards the base of the box and this almost completely eliminated the 1K dip. The back end of that enclosure came off no less than 20 times trying all the different options to find something that worked. In the end, I guess we were lucky to find a solution at all. It certainly wouldn't have been possible without DAT's and Omni-Mic, thanks Dayton.
        My "No-Name" CC Speaker
        Kerry's "Silverbacks"
        Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
        The Archers
        Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
        The Gandalf's

Comment

• Really nice work! Good job Kole. I like the new red. Hand sanding is definitely a pain in the butt. At least you had the right tools to start with or you would have been doing it much longer. Can't wait to hear them at MWAF.
          -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

• Wow this piano black + red baffle is a stunning combination! I can't wait to see it in person. I'm so glad the buffer helped out so much and I hope it gets good use for many more projects to come.

Comment

• They look great!

Comment

• Almost finished! Completed the transfer of drivers from the prototype cabinet to the final enclosure and built one of the two crossovers, will build the last one this evening and then we get to hear them play as a pair for the first time, exciting! Here's Kole doing his favorite thing when it comes to building speakers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170709_012122 (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	1338279

He refers to the crossovers as the "Darth Vader" crossovers. There is a resemblance, but it wasn't intentional.

Name:	20170709_225548 (Large).jpg
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	1338280

And here it is mounted right before we buttoned it all up.

Name:	20170709_232228 resized.jpg
Size:	571.4 KB
ID:	1338281

My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
                The Archers
                Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
                The Gandalf's

Comment

• Kevin and Cole, just came across this thread (playing some catchup from the past few months!), very cool idea and so cool to see what Kevin can do with that CNC! Can't wait to see and hear them later this week!

Javad
                  --
                  Javad Shadzi
                  Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Comment

• thank you all for fan favorite and thank you for getting me 3rd place that I really prescient that thank you all.

Kole.

Comment

Working...
                    X