The Worst Speakers I've Ever Heard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Worst Speakers I've Ever Heard

I'm on a field trip this morning with my oldest foster daughter, and I'm listening to the worst speakers I've ever heard. Said speakers are mounted in the ceiling of the bus I'm riding in. The buss driver has a country station on, and it's killing me. Picture a response graph with a massive peak in the middle and nothing on either end. Ouch.

So what's the worst speakers you've heard? Please don't post any diy designs.
    Eric L.

All blaring cell phones.

Comment

Originally posted by brkitup View Post
      ,,,Please don't post any diy designs.
      Gee that eliminates a bunch ( including a driver in an Oil Drum ),,,
      On the commercial level - any cheap 2x box that used a piezo ( because crossovers cost $ ) often found in cars.
      "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
      "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Yeah, piezos sound bad without some form of crossover and a null network for the response peak. Though if you do those things, they can sound pretty good.
        Francis

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post
          Yeah, piezos sound bad without some form of crossover and a null network for the response peak. ....
          Particularly when paired with a 15" stamped steel "woofer" in an undersized/unbraced particle board box.

"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
            Particularly when paired with a 15" stamped steel "woofer" in an undersized/unbraced particle board box.
            My ears are hurting just thinking about it...
            Francis

Comment

My wife's 2015 stock Subaru WRX speakers. I don't know how they managed to make them sound so bad. Even the AM radio and dash speaker in my long-gone 1964 Ford Falcon sounded better.

I almost think that someone got the polarity wrong between tweeters and mids. There's a giant hole in the middle.

That car is a blast to drive - with the radio off.
              Bill Schneider
              -+-+-+-+-
              www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

Some of my friends and family that built speakers using a bullet tweeter, PA mid and Woofer in a box covered with car sub-woofer enclosure cloth. They get loud and I really like that they made an effort to create their own system, but dam is that treble annoying.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post

My ears are hurting just thinking about it...
                  The fuzzy "rat fur" exterior treatment is acoustically designed to help attenuate the response peak ( ).
                  ( absorbs and retains odor too )

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post

The fuzzy "rat fur" exterior treatment is acoustically designed to help attenuate the response peak ( ).
                    ( absorbs and retains odor too )
                    I bet it smells like mixed-berry vape fluid.

Comment

Originally posted by mzisserson View Post

I bet it smells like mixed-berry vape fluid.
                      Vintage Pre-Vape version could feature a blend of Cheap Beer, Greasy Hamburgers with a musty Hint of Hemp.
                      1st car stereo boxes ( they're still available ) smell like "Teen Spirit"

Comment

Oh, I got this one. Used to get a ride back and forth to University with kid in his hot rod. I believe he had one 8 track tape. Grand Funk Railroad, and played one song, over and over. Gimme shelter. I remember one time ripping down the road and he got behind a motorcycle....like two feet off his taillight. He laid down this pearl of wisdom, screamed out over the distortion...."You know what pi##es me off? Those things think they got the same rights as a car."

Comment

I once went to buy a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10s in a store I didn't know. They sounded terrible there. I looked closely, and they had disconnected the tweeters on both sides, it was a bait-and-switch effort and they wanted to sell you something else. (I bought ADS 810 instead).

Comment

The PA system at work playing just awful old country and some bad rock. Very Noriegaesque.

Comment

Just about any train station in the world!

Comment

Working...
                              X