The Worst Speakers I've Ever Heard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zephyr View Post
    Oh, I got this one. Used to get a ride back and forth to University with kid in his hot rod. I believe he had one 8 track tape. Grand Funk Railroad, and played one song, over and over. Gimme shelter. I remember one time ripping down the road and he got behind a motorcycle....like two feet off his taillight. He laid down this pearl of wisdom, screamed out over the distortion...."You know what pi##es me off? Those things think they got the same rights as a car."
    Never heard Grand Funks version of Gimme Shelter.
    As far as worst speaker, there are a lot of bad systems in automotive applications, hence the upgrade to my G35, which I'm freaking loving now!!!
    A mains
    The Ventures
    Open Invit8tions
    RSR
    Sound Troopers
    Acorns
    DGBG's
    The Monuments

Comment

A Gazebo at a park with a tiny box in the ceiling pointing down, with a pro sound 15" woofer, running by itself with no crossover at all.

Horrible break up, no mids or treble at all, and Huge boomy bass at about 80-100 hz, unlistenable~!

Comment

Originally posted by williamrschneider View Post
        My wife's 2015 stock Subaru WRX speakers. I don't know how they managed to make them sound so bad. Even the AM radio and dash speaker in my long-gone 1964 Ford Falcon sounded better.

I almost think that someone got the polarity wrong between tweeters and mids. There's a giant hole in the middle.

That car is a blast to drive - with the radio off.
        Hmm... the speakers in the wife's Legacy are terrible, no matter how the eq is adjusted they're just shrill, but the ones in the STi aren't that bad, but I hardly ever listen to them.
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

Originally posted by williamrschneider View Post
          My wife's 2015 stock Subaru WRX speakers. I don't know how they managed to make them sound so bad. Even the AM radio and dash speaker in my long-gone 1964 Ford Falcon sounded better.

I almost think that someone got the polarity wrong between tweeters and mids. There's a giant hole in the middle.

That car is a blast to drive - with the radio off.

The speakers in my Nissan 350 Z sounded similar. Extremely muffled midrange, but highs and lows were terrible from what you did get. Flat on the EQ sounded terrible. Turning up the bass knob led to bloated, distorted bass. Turning up the treble led to shrill and harsh. Adjusting anything just made the mids worse. Even backing completely off the bass and treble, the mids still sounded muted.
          -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

I spent a few days in Fez, Morocco. There are over 300 Mosques in and around town. They all do the call to prayer at (almost) the same time and they all seem to use that speaker that Radar from MASH used to make announcements. On top of that I have no idea what they are saying and sometimes it was at 3 AM. It was pretty hilarious and also just plain horrible. There were probably 25 mosques within 200 feet of my hotel room.

Comment

Originally posted by Neis View Post
              I spent a few days in Fez, Morocco. There are over 300 Mosques in and around town. They all do the call to prayer at (almost) the same time and they all seem to use that speaker that Radar from MASH used to make announcements. On top of that I have no idea what they are saying and sometimes it was at 3 AM. It was pretty hilarious and also just plain horrible. There were probably 25 mosques within 200 feet of my hotel room.
              That gives me a great idea! Upscale, more audiophile-friendly mosques.

I'll let you guys know as soon as I have the business plans ready and I'm prepared to accept investments. =)

Comment

Music through a bullhorn, esp in a gymnasium is the worst sound possible. Also a friends old Technics 3-way speakers with some kind of ribbon horn thing that was 20dB louder than the rest of the speaker at 90% THD.

[edit: the Technics was the SB-A28, just a lens on a cone tweeter. Easily the worst tweeter I've ever heard.]
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Technics_SB-A28_on_off_399x420_pixels.gif
Views:	1
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	1331333
                Last edited by dcibel; 05-11-2017, 10:46 PM.
                Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	P3250010.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	1331275

I am the local hashmaster in Grenada (if you don't know what hashing is, see www.grenadahash.com).

​As a consequence, once a week I'm treated to DJ-provided music, and 4 our of 5 times, perhaps more, the DJ's idea of "quality" is "let's see how loud we can get with whatever we can knock together". In one case, the DJ had two different 15" 2-way tops wired out of phase, so whatever pitiful bass they could produce was reduced even further in output. Another one was using vintage Celestion SL1 bandpass subs (pictured) with the front cabinet open, and running full range, and they sounded exactly like what 18" pro audio drivers in sealed boxes that are too small would sound.

​This weekend I might be lucky. The hare in question knows I care a bit about audio, and has invited me to "vet" the music system prior to the start of the hash, LOL.

Maybe I will be lucky this time...

Brian Steele
                  www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

The speakers in my 1995 Safari "molester" van as one friend affectionately titled it. The two front speakers are just plain blown and one of the back two is as well. The only thing that is intelligible from the last back speaker is talk radio, Cardinal's games and the occasional Coast to Coast AM. Horrible.

Thank goodness the stereo in the 2017 Ford Explorer is actually quite nice.
                    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong

Comment

A bookshelf with I believe it was a Mylar tweeter and 3.5 woofer. I picked them up to see how the surround sound was. Stupid at the time. All materials n tweets should match! Actually the midwoofer was the worst. No sound barely. Sensitivity was super low. I should have kept the boxes. The best part lol

Comment

The second. I still have this box. I don't know why!! Lol
                        Garbage list. Its my first speaker I tore apart, to learn the mechanical and cross parts. This speaker did have a coil at least!!
                        OPTIMUS Pro CS-3 Center

Comment

+1 for speakers at stations: I think the people who ran Flinders Street Station in Melbourne in the 1970s and 80s must have earned bonuses for ensuring that not one syllable of an announcement was understandable. Our local Turkish restaurant sat about 200 people but had a 10 watt PA which was run at full volume (lots of clipping) through two 6" speakers in little Masonite wall mounted boxes, truly awful.

Worst pair of speakers I've owned were some 3" things which were house in thin plastic cabinets with my first stereo, an "AWA" with ceramic cartridge no less. Absolutely awful, no bass at all, shrill treble and pathetic mids. Made even Bose sound good...........

Comment

How about all those cars that drive by, with bass you can hear booming a single note from blocks away .

Comment

Piezo tweeters have got to be up there too!

Comment

Originally posted by skatz View Post
                                How about all those cars that drive by, with bass you can hear booming a single note from blocks away .
                                Just makes one wish they had some rocket propelled grenades at the ready to put an absolute end to the noise.

Comment

Working...
                                X