The Worst Speakers I've Ever Heard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skatz View Post
    Piezo tweeters have got to be up there too!
    Piezo tweeters can be designed and used correctly.

Comment

My z313 Logitech set that my sister used for a while ended up sounding terrible the woofer was torn and the tweeters had spliced cables and dented "phaseplugs". Sounded like someone's grandma was getting molested. Sent from my Archos Diamond S using Tapatalk

Comment

Piezo tweeters have got to be up there too!
        Posts #3 & 5
        "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
        "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by View Post

Piezo tweeters can be designed and used correctly.

Guess I haven't heard one. The best I can say is that some have been inoffensive.

Comment

The best use of a piezo tweeter was in the old MTX Terminator boxes of the late 80's/ early 90's with Warrant or Cinderella cranking out of them 😀
            A mains
            The Ventures
            Open Invit8tions
            RSR
            Sound Troopers
            Acorns
            DGBG's
            The Monuments

Comment

Guess I haven't heard one. The best I can say is that some have been inoffensive.
              I've done it for a friend, it sounded very good after. It's like any driver, you measure it and make an appropriate network. Most applications have no crossover and ignore the response peak of 5dB or so at about 5kHz. That response peak will drill a hole through your head if it's not nulled. Now, we used the original Motorola piezos. I've heard that some of the clones don't sound too good.
              Francis

Comment

Flashback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCOrtJMQmVs

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post
                  ... I've heard that some of the clones don't sound too good.
                  They don't and the reject rate is high - AudioXpress had an article a while back that chronicled the history from Motorola to CTS and beyond.
                  The original fabrication equipment was sold and worn out.
                  To each his own, some are willing to sort through and toss out duds. Modifying a $2 product, and clustering a bunch together with the expectation of creating something better, is not for me.
                  A bit like expecting to make a fast food hamburger into a choice steak.
                  "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                  "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
                    Music through a bullhorn, esp in a gymnasium is the worst sound possible. Also a friends old Technics 3-way speakers with some kind of ribbon horn thing that was 20dB louder than the rest of the speaker at 90% THD.

[edit: the Technics was the SB-A28, just a lens on a cone tweeter. Easily the worst tweeter I've ever heard.]
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1331333[/ATTACH]

i have a pair of those around here , the tweet is phenolic with a phase guard is what it looks like to me . the ones i have are old and the cabs are falling apart so i've never hooked them up .
                    Paper Towers
                    RS180P/28F surrounds
                    Boombox

Comment

Working...
                    X