Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converted round port Tango to slot port.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converted round port Tango to slot port.

Hey. I'm wondering if my slot ported version of the originally round one is mathematically correct. Note that the baffle is not on it right now and it's all done in millimeters. Second though: can someone provide me with some details on how the speaker holes are layed out? I can't get them from the page. Thanks in advance.

Oh, and thickness of material is three quarter inch. Sent from my Archos Diamond S using Tapatalk

Comment

That "rib" will do little to nothing for bracing. With 1/4" in particular, you need to make sure you're coupling opposite panels to each other. Also, at these dimensions, the slot port is going to behave unpredictably vs. a round port. It will almost certainly perform worse IMO. With 1/4" material you can't round it over really, so I'd stick with round ports or (better) passive radiator. 2 small passive radiators on the sides of the box, mounted on threaded rod that's mutually coupled would do a lot- in other words, two passives where each mounting hole is attached to the other passive by the threaded rod, secured with acorn nuts. That would give you force cancellation for the tuning frequency, brace the side walls, and perform without turbulence concerns. It's more effort and money though.

1/4" is too thin in my opinion, I know they're meant to be lightweight and small, but that's pretty extreme.

Comment

I'm sorry about the mistake. I meant THREE quarter inch thickness. Would you mind explaining why the port would behave bad? Surface area of the mounth is the same, and the length is exactly the same. I don't see why not actually. I'm building these because there so flat in response and round ports aren't an option for me. I have to get it right with a slot port. Maybe the drawing should have made it clear that I meant three quarter inch Thanks for your interest though.

Comment

The slot port will tune a bit lower than the equivalent round port due to laminar changes because the port is flush with a box side.
          If you want to tune to exactly the same Fb as a round port, you will need to shorten the slot port a bit.
          Most of the time, that's not very critical.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

The lower tuning will actually not be bad, as I'll most of the time be crossing them over. Lower tuning won't hurt either anyway, too. Otherwise, does it look good? Do I need to factor in the loss of volume due to putting crossovers in, and do I really need the acoustic foam? Or does acoustic foam not really in volume as it's just for high frequency stuff?

Cheers,
            Anna

Comment

The kit shows .5 ft^3, so that's what you need to have.
              don't need to count crossover volume, but you do need to account for braces.
              Put in 1 side to side brace.

Use Walmart open cell foam to line the walls or use the Denim insulation you can get from Home Depot.
              Open cell foam does not "use" volume.

The Tangos look like a very nice little design.
              hope this helps.

"As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

I'd either use the 0.45"h slot, but shorten it an inch (or even TWO); OR (even BETTER) keep its overall length the same (7.75") and increase the slot height to exactly 0.50".
                The largest source of slot port tuning error is often the "actual" (as-built) height of the slot. If you'd go w/a height of 0.50", I'd glue the slot in using some (temporary) spacers that were exactly 1/2" thick. A small error here will have the largest effect on tuning error (but you certainly have the right idea).

Comment

Hey Chris,

I don't really understand what you're saying. The surface area of the mounth with my slot port is the same as the round port's surface area and the length is also 7.75" (+2 mm for a chamfer allowance). Why would I need to change it? I'd appreciate some explanation. c:

And to donradick:

I have some of the most off the shelf foam I can get, and I don't have money for anything else. It's almost the same as this, but the nipples are a couple 16ths longer. http://www.conrad.be/ce/nl/product/1...9410&WT.srch=1

Comment

Originally posted by HumbleDeer View Post
                    Hey Chris,

I don't really understand what you're saying. The surface area of the mounth with my slot port is the same as the round port's surface area and the length is also 7.75" (+2 mm for a chamfer allowance). Why would I need to change it? I'd appreciate some explanation. c:

And to donradick:

I have some of the most off the shelf foam I can get, and I don't have money for anything else. It's almost the same as this, but the nipples are a couple 16ths longer. http://www.conrad.be/ce/nl/product/1...9410&WT.srch=1

If you can blow through the foam, it's what we want to line the box.

I've built several slot port boxes. Chris is right, I use 1/4 inch ply cut to the exact height of the slot, then glue it in on the left and right and glue the slot "shelf" on top of those.
                    That makes sure that the slot height is perfect.

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

I think the tuning changes a bit due to drag. Think how different the perimeter is of your slot, compared to round (which has the SMALLest distance per sq. area). Almost 2-1/2 times as much "side-wall drag" (my term, I guess).

Comment

Hmm I get where you're coming from, Chris. The tuning comes from the air 'rubbing' against the surface and the more it's chocked a certain way, the more the change is made a certain way. That's deciding which way you go... But too much and it chuffs. That's why a bigger port needs to be longer to be the same tuning frequency. Maybe I should wait for some other people's fair share of opinion?

I don't have to worry about changing my port to be easy to assemble or cut or alike. I have all the tools I need and it's going to be in a rabbet anyway. Sure won't move. I do like your idea though. For a homegamer with less than average tools that's surely a good practice to start with. I can always make a rough prototype with just bare end grain to surface connections and if that works out I can go ahead and make it out of plywood with the rabbets and ten's.

For the foam: I can blow through it - definitely.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer
                          I think the tuning changes a bit due to drag. Think how different the perimeter is of your slot, compared to round (which has the SMALLest distance per sq. area). Almost 2-1/2 times as much "side-wall drag" (my term, I guess).
                          Hey! I learned. I'd like for you to help me but I can't stay on the forums here for too long. If youdon't mind, message me your email address or alike. Thanks Cheers, Anna

Comment

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...ml#post5083963 Cheers, Anna

Comment

Working...
                            X