Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An "Electronic Port?"

From the Soundstage Signature Series speaker site:

"A speaker designer’s challenge is to get big sound out of a small speaker. In the Signature Series bookshelf speaker, Ian Paisley has achieved that goal. Bass response is normally achieved in two ways: a bigger box and a ported speaker design. The Signature Series bookshelf speaker uses neither. It was created with an electronic port in its crossover design, which means that the speaker thinks it has a port for bigger bass response than it does, without any of the factors that contribute to bad sound. The end result is a small speaker that sounds bigger than it actually is."

http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/cate...8810&sku=SIG5B

Somebody is eventually going to get into trouble deceiving those little speakers into thinking they are bigger than they are.

GeeDeeEmm

the speaker thinks
    'nuff said
    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

I am guessing its a passivly assisted design. Nothing new, no secret....Just a different name for the same.

I ain't got time for this crap. I need to go finish my new waveguide system. ;)

Comment

What is a passively assisted system?

Comment

Originally posted by ani_101 View Post
          Got the LDC? ( re section 1.2220 )
          "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by ani_101 View Post
            Its a sealed enclosure that is tuned fairly high (Q= 1-1.2 ish) the you put a big honkin' cap (500uF to 1mF) in series with the woofer to remove the resonant bump and smooth out the low frequency tuning as if the Q were lower. This reduces the box size requirement up to about 30% with the right driver.

It does, however, put higher excursion demands on the woofer at the filter frequency, increases group delay, and limits extreme LF.

Comment

Hoffman's Iron Law won't be denied, nor will it put out more SPL than the driver xmax will allow. Anyone can claim anything, proving it is something else again. Note the absence of any corroborating data on the manufacturer website.
              www.billfitzmaurice.com
              www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

I've a feeling anyone with a sealed speaker and an electronic EQ could achieve similar results. The blurb just sounds like some marketing speak to make you think there's some new technology involved.
                Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Originally posted by mzisserson View Post

Its a sealed enclosure that is tuned fairly high (Q= 1-1.2 ish) the you put a big honkin' cap (500uF to 1mF) in series with the woofer to remove the resonant bump and smooth out the low frequency tuning as if the Q were lower. This reduces the box size requirement up to about 30% with the right driver.

It does, however, put higher excursion demands on the woofer at the filter frequency, increases group delay, and limits extreme LF.
                  I believe the Aviatrix design uses this concept.

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
                    ... The blurb just sounds like some marketing speak to make you think there's some new technology involved...
                    Papers on it go back to 1979.

with this in mind:
                    From Vance Dickason: "The shape of the Group Delay Curve is very much like a poorly damped vented enclosure"
                    Last edited by Sydney; 05-14-2017, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
                      AES papers on it go back to 1985.

with this in mind:

From Vance Dickason: "The shape of the Group Delay Curve is very much like a poorly damped vented enclosure"
                      Yep. It is. Like any other trade-off. It can be worked around fairly well so the disintergration sonically is mimimized, but then you are losing one of the primary reasons for going sealed in the first place!

It can work well, however, when done right. Like anything else I guess.

Comment

Compromise with a capital C. In this case: For a small box AND LF extension using passive parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
                          Compromise with a capital C. In this case: For a small box AND LF extension using passive parts.
                          Woah woah woah watch out guys, we have an active here! Lol

Have you ever heard a good assisted design? They can be quite nice, and it is neat to see a small sealed enclosurw actually produce some LF information.

Its not unlike an Apriodic setup which does esentially the same thing, just mechanically.

There are just no good acoustic suspension woofers around anymore. High BL, high Cms types with a moderate Q around .8 or so.

On their own, they require a fairly small box....They just don't look as pretty in a sim (higher F3 and the like) as vented does and the larger motor=more $$$. I may have found one of an off brand....But thats down the road still. Would be VERY nice to see a mid-priced speaker line meant for AS enclosures designed properly and not just high Q because of a crappy motor....

Comment

... we have an active here! Lol.....
                            Correct - also of the preference that LF Group Delay be considered.
                            peace out

Comment

There are just no good acoustic suspension woofers around anymore. High BL, high Cms types with a moderate Q around .8 or so.
                              OK, I can't comment on the level that you guys are fluent in, but I'm struck by this comment. Because I'm a fan of old sealed boxes like Advents, KLHs, and the like, I've had the opportunity to tear into them a bit. The suspension is so loosey-goosey that it's easy to see how they work so well against air pressure.

Yet, I don't remember seeing any speakers lately that are specified for sealed enclosures. And the latest one I bought whose specs indicated that a sealed enclosure was ideal certainly didn't have the characteristics of the old guys.

Is this what you are referring to?

GeeDeeEmm

Comment

Working...
                              X