An "Electronic Port?"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    I don't remember seeing any speakers lately that are specified for sealed enclosures.
    In general a Qts of more than 0.5 and/or EBP of less than 60 indicates a driver best suited to a sealed cab. About the closest you'll come to drivers in the vein of the original AR woofer today are high Qts low EBP subwoofers, where it's typical to have the driver Fs a full octave below F3. The AR was a woofer that ran from 40 to 2kHz or so, and was only able to do so because it had low sensitivity. We don't make speakers like that today. If the first nail in the coffin of the acoustic suspension alignment was the introduction of ported cabs designed using T/S specs the last was the invention of the remotely placed subwoofer. You might say that Henry Kloss got the ultimate revenge on Ed Villchur.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by gdmoore28 View Post

OK, I can't comment on the level that you guys are fluent in, but I'm struck by this comment. Because I'm a fan of old sealed boxes like Advents, KLHs, and the like, I've had the opportunity to tear into them a bit. The suspension is so loosey-goosey that it's easy to see how they work so well against air pressure.

Yet, I don't remember seeing any speakers lately that are specified for sealed enclosures. And the latest one I bought whose specs indicated that a sealed enclosure was ideal certainly didn't have the characteristics of the old guys.

Is this what you are referring to?

GeeDeeEmm
      You got it. The strong motor typically shook out an eff. Around 88+db on a 8", too.

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
        . You might say that Henry Kloss got the ultimate revenge on Ed Villchur.
        Ha! Never thought of it that way! :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by mzisserson View Post
          I am guessing its a passivly assisted design. Nothing new, no secret....Just a different name for the same.

I ain't got time for this crap. I need to go finish my new waveguide system. ;)
          Your waveguide is under patent already!!
          http://www.technicalaudiodevices.com/consumer/

Port here:
          http://hometheaterhifi.com/wp-conten...eaker-fig8.jpg
          Nice system!!

Comment

These look suspiciously like rebranded Insignia coax specials. Of course, those were ported.

Comment

Originally posted by spasticteapot View Post
              These look suspiciously like rebranded Insignia coax specials. Of course, those were ported.
              These are too!!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X