Pioneer HPM40

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pioneer HPM40

i have a pair of these 10" 3 ways . the woofers are shot and the mid and tweet don't look all that great either but the cabs are decent , 3/4" stuff , ported 2.5 x 8 and the grills still in good shape . what i was thinking i have pairs of these these drivers , TFO510 and PA255-8 . i was thinking about adding a small ribbon something like the Neo X1.0 for a smallish stand mount 10" 3way ! what say you ?

the tweet looks and feels real cheap ! part # HP-015A-1 ...

Paper Towers
    RS180P/28F surrounds
    Boombox

That woofer would really prefer a larger box, but should hit mid 50s in 1.4cf , tuned into the upper 40s. Personally, I'd still need a sub w/that.

Comment

Those drivers would work. Does that factory mid have its own chamber? This woofer would work, sealed or vented https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...oofer--295-315 as would this one, vented: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...4-ohm--295-382

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
        That woofer would really prefer a larger box, but should hit mid 50s in 1.4cf , tuned into the upper 40s. Personally, I'd still need a sub w/that.
        we're close Chris , OD is 22.5h x 12.75w x 11.5d . with 3/4 " stuff i come up with 1.367 cuft. ... there are always subs in my system if for nothing else to fill in modes .
        Paper Towers
        RS180P/28F surrounds
        Boombox

Comment

Originally posted by chrisn View Post
          Those drivers would work. Does that factory mid have its own chamber? This woofer would work, sealed or vented https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...oofer--295-315 as would this one, vented: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...4-ohm--295-382
          not sure , i have not pulled the mid yet . i'm thinking a 4" PVC cap would do the trick if needed .
          Paper Towers
          RS180P/28F surrounds
          Boombox

Comment

wow ! these were originally crossed at 4000 and 10000 ...

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...r/hpm-40.shtml
            Paper Towers
            RS180P/28F surrounds
            Boombox

Comment

Because my primary interest lies in the old stuff (and, because it shows up regularly at flea markets for fire-sale prices!), I love seeing these old cabinets repurposed. Will be watching your progress.

By the way, those super tweeters in the HPM series are highly regarded in the classic speakers community. I suspect that their specs may be pretty lame by today's standards, but they were quite well reviewed back in the 1960s.

GeeDeeEmm

Comment

pulled the mid , no chamber . they used a seal mid ...

Paper Towers
                RS180P/28F surrounds
                Boombox

Comment

someone took pretty good care of these cabs considering their from the mid to late 70's ! i wish the rest of to paper was intact . it show an FR graph with 2nd and 3rd order distortions . from what i can see it it had an f3 of around 50hz with 3rd order down -50db... still has the passed Pioneer QC sticker on it .

not a lot of copper in the crossover . but they are marked 1.5mH and .8mH ....

Paper Towers
                  RS180P/28F surrounds
                  Boombox

Comment

That's actually far better than a lot of crossovers from back then. What size is the cutout for that mid? I'm with GD, like seeing these old speakers rebuilt.

Comment

i'll have to open up both mid and tweet holes .
                      Paper Towers
                      RS180P/28F surrounds
                      Boombox

Comment

so .... the PA255-8 in box .

near field raw driver ...

3ft tweet axis ...

Paper Towers
                        RS180P/28F surrounds
                        Boombox

Comment

not too bad, how's it look with the XO connected?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisn View Post
                            not too bad, how's it look with the XO connected?

i haven't looked at that yet , i removed the crossover . but would be easy enough to do , looks like 1.5mH series and a 4.7uF to ground .
                            Paper Towers
                            RS180P/28F surrounds
                            Boombox

Comment

I think you would be surprised how good this can be with a crossover done in the modern manner. With a cross to the tweeter(that's not a midrange, although it is the mid driver) at 1000hz, and to the supertweeter wherever it works for you(stay above 8k for safety), you'll have something like an old Spendor, Ditton, etc. You can go full modern later but give it (the tweeter) a try first, if they're healthy.
                              Last edited by davidB; 05-17-2017, 09:21 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Working...
                              X