No announcement yet.

Pioneer HPM40

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think this looks pretty good . moved the tweet cross just past 4k .... Chris , you see what i mean about the mid not showing up ?

Paper Towers
    RS180P/28F surrounds
    Boombox

Comment

it dawned on me this morning that i have another cab that these drivers , the tweet is the only different one , would bolt rite into . " Frankenspeaker " .... i may give this a try also . i put all parts including the simmed XO in a PE shopping cart and was pleasantly surprised at $345 ....

Paper Towers
      RS180P/28F surrounds
      Boombox

Comment

tweets are in hand . unfortunately the are quite a bit smaller than the BG25 so there will be no Frankenspeaker resurrection ...

now never working with a ribbon before , i know to use a 20-30uF cap for testing . is there anything else i need to know ?

also in the Pioneer cabs i'm going to have to mount the MT vertically , is this going to cause issues ?

**Edit : i meant horizontally on the MT
        Last edited by filmslayer; 12-30-2017, 12:55 PM.
        Paper Towers
        RS180P/28F surrounds
        Boombox

Comment

had a good chat with Josh last night and come up with a plan . because of all the diffraction issues with square edge and 1/2" sq. stock grills . i'm gonna surface mount everything and cover the baffle with felt or speaker carpet . surface mounting will allow me to still cut in a big guide when i get ready . i still want to do the 2 way with a dome in a big guide
          Paper Towers
          RS180P/28F surrounds
          Boombox

Comment

the little plastic bowls on the right are what i'm gonna try and seal the mid with using construction adhesive ....

Paper Towers
            RS180P/28F surrounds
            Boombox

Comment

plastic bowl seems a good fit ...

Paper Towers
              RS180P/28F surrounds
              Boombox

Comment

Originally posted by filmslayer View Post
                ... because of all the diffraction issues with square edge and 1/2" sq. stock grills . i'm gonna surface mount everything and cover the baffle with felt or speaker carpet . surface mounting will allow me to still cut in a big guide when i get ready.
                I have the same issue with "restoring" my original Large Advents with the utility cab.'s. The baffle is recessed 1 1/8" and the front edges are square. But the fried egg tweeter is so ugly - orange fried egg, in a black diamond back plate, offset from a silver rectangular mounting plate, and a concave metal grill that looks it it did duty BBQ'ing hot dogs at a company picnic - a front grill is a must.

I plan of using MDF for the grill. It will be flush with the cabinet front edges, meet the drivers depth-wise with outward round overs and foam encircling the drivers. There's not much I can do about the square edges.

I think Advent saw issues as the tweeter grill cutouts were rectangular to start and then they switched to a circle. And, IIRC, someone here mentioned the Advents measure much better with the grill on rather than with it off.

Comment

i'm gonna take at look at both , grill /no grill . none of my speakers are covered , but these 40 year old grills are still in perfect shape so why not ....

i'm also playing with the idea of laying this on it side so my M/T will be in the vertical and measuring on the floor firing up for a large desktop monitor .
                  Paper Towers
                  RS180P/28F surrounds
                  Boombox

Comment

ready to measure ....

Paper Towers
                    RS180P/28F surrounds
                    Boombox

Comment

have to admit i'm nervous about testing the NeoCD1.0 .....
                      Paper Towers
                      RS180P/28F surrounds
                      Boombox

Comment

all measurements from same spot, 3 foot on design axis with same amplitude .

NeoCD1.0

TF0510

PA255

Paper Towers
                        RS180P/28F surrounds
                        Boombox

Comment

ordered a couple of small caps and coils i did not have last night . here is the prototype XO i'm gonna start with ...

Paper Towers
                          RS180P/28F surrounds
                          Boombox

Comment

we got parts ! slight miscalculation on timing . will not have it together before kickoff ... roll tide !

Paper Towers
                            RS180P/28F surrounds
                            Boombox

Comment

looks like i need a lil work on the mid . i have a 1.8n resister in series , i think i'm gonna take that out . despite what these squiggly lines look like i'm not far off . the speaker sounds pretty good !

Paper Towers
                              RS180P/28F surrounds
                              Boombox

Comment

took out the 1.8 in series went down to 2n from 5.6 on the zobel and changed the 2nd cap from 10uF to 7.5 . i also added 1.8 in series to the tweet . stating to look better and this is where i'll leave it tonight ...

Paper Towers
                                RS180P/28F surrounds
                                Boombox

Comment

Working...
                                X