SB17 or Seas ER18RNX to pair with RS28A

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SB17 or Seas ER18RNX to pair with RS28A

Planning to build a 2way with the RS28A on top. Which of these two woofers would you prefer? Please ignore the difference in price. My cabinet is 0.75 ft3 (it's a nice curved PE cherry veneer cabinet). I do not currently own a subwoofer, so F3 is important to me, however, I do plan someday to implement a sub.

Sorry, there are multiple SB17 models. I am specifically interested in the uncoated SB17NRXC35-8.

Comment

The truncated frame version of the ER18 that is currently on sale at the competitor's store would be a no brainer for me. Both models you are interested in are capable of similar bass response.
      Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, You get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

just to be annoying I'm gonna suggest the Usher 8948A. The sale ER18 from the competitor is pretty appealing though.

Comment

Two nods so far in favor of the sale ER18. That does look like a good deal.

Comment

Since you are going for a subwoofer-less build, the parameters of the 5 ohm truncated ER18 align to provide very deep bass in a small ported cab. Probably the best bass extension you could ever hope for from a 6.5" midwoofer.
            Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, You get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
              Since you are going for a subwoofer-less build, the parameters of the 5 ohm truncated ER18 align to provide very deep bass in a small ported cab. Probably the best bass extension you could ever hope for from a 6.5" midwoofer.

I used an online modeler. Is this along the lines of what you are thinking?

Comment

Originally posted by dld View Post
                just to be annoying I'm gonna suggest the Usher 8948A. The sale ER18 from the competitor is pretty appealing though.
                Annoy away! What a fabulous woofer it is. And it will mesh nicely with the RS28.

shawn
                My favorite woofer is a Labrador retriever.

Comment

The ER18 should reach only 1 or 2 Hz lower than the SB, but should be able to play +3dB louder (being able to take more than twice the power before reaching Xmax). 2"id by 5" long port, maybe?

Comment

Looking at the impedance of the trunkated ER18 it doesn't look to have the same amount of copper in the motor as the original does. Possibly higher distortion in the mids?

I prefer the SB driver, very nice allround driver.
                    "It is only Scrooge McDuck and others with a personality disorder who have money as their goal"

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                      The ER18 should reach only 1 or 2 Hz lower than the SB, but should be able to play +3dB louder (being able to take more than twice the power before reaching Xmax). 2"id by 5" long port, maybe?

Some good food for thought -- thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by jonasz View Post
                        Looking at the impedance of the trunkated ER18 it doesn't look to have the same amount of copper in the motor as the original does. Possibly higher distortion in the mids?

I prefer the SB driver, very nice allround driver.

Now you've got me worried that the truncated driver might not be such a steal. Thanks for the nod toward the SB.

Comment

Originally posted by 50 watt head View Post

I used an online modeler. Is this along the lines of what you are thinking?
                          It's possible I entered a value incorrectly, but that doesn't look like the response I generated. I'll have to check again later when I'm back at home.

Comment

Fiddy -

Those SB17 drivers look pretty awesome. I think distortion will be much lower than the ER18 special.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                            "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                            SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                            My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
                              It's possible I entered a value incorrectly, but that doesn't look like the response I generated. I'll have to check again later when I'm back at home.

Well, FWIW, that was the first time I've used that online modeler, so, I have no idea how accurate my use of it was. I need to get an old version of Excel so I can use spreadsheet tools again.

Comment

Working...
                              X